Builds Fly By Night (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know 🤦🏻😄
Didn’t post before cause I thought it would just be too much content filler, but there it is. @Ol Yeller got me all worked up to nerd out.

Technically not a jig. That would include an apparatus that passed a piece of tubing through the DOM and held it square and level while you welded.🤔 Hmmm... maybe not a bad idea to take the time to make, especially when making multiple pieces. Almost gives me another reason to redo the first one.... almost.

Last edited:
yes , then a lazer or string to center in the frame ,keeps the axle pointed right ,instead of dogtracking down the road
This is the exact way I've done it in the past, recently I added Hendrickson air suspension to the rear of my Kenworth and they have an interesting way of squaring up the axles by squaring a length of angle iron on the frame then pulling all your measurements off that. This was really handy when working by yourself and pulling precise measurements.
setup.jpg

Great info @J Mack 👍 thanks for posting!
Was originally planning on just going to the marks I made where the center of the OEM bushing eyes sat, but that method above looks to be an easy way to get it nice and square.

Dropped off the three remaining bushing sleeves to a local retired machinist to turn them out to fit the 40mm OD, 75 series rear bushings. Really cool guy. I wore an N95 throughout the visit. More for his protection than mine. Guy was in his late 60’s early 70’s, wife somewhere in there, and her 98 year old mother on their property. Would really hate to find out later that I’ve been a carrier or something and brought sh*t to their doorstep.
Anyways, he said the first job was free. Don’t know how I got to be this lucky, having people help me out like that throughout this build. Hoping the blessings keep rolling in and I actually get them back in a couple days before the AZ governor announces lockdown in his State of the State🙏
Also about have the ID of the hanger I built hogged out to accept the new bushings.
Other than that, a whole lot of not much.

Bushing sleeves turned out .050, 40mm bushings now snugly fit. Thanks again to my new machinist friend, Jerry.🙏
Now to get something accomplished today...

*also in this pic a comparison of the 75 series rear bushings (black) to the 55 series (red) aftermarket poly bushings

View attachment 2258762
I generally subscribe to the "Some is good, more is better, too much is just about right" school of life. But i'm wondering what's the advantage to the larger bushing.

I generally subscribe to the "Some is good, more is better, too much is just about right" school of life. But i'm wondering what's the advantage to the larger bushing.

Jim, by my understanding, this should be one more ingredient to help with ride quality on an SUA vehicle. I’m hoping the thicker bushing wall will help take a little of the harsh edge off in certain off highway situations. We will see.
I almost always air down to 15psi when out in the dirt. But you know, sometimes you’re out, and you’re gonna hit a quick stretch of dirt road that just shouldn’t require airing down, so you don’t and halfway in you wish you would have. Part of this suspension redeux is to address that, and hopefully larger bushings help contribute positively.

I was a liberal arts major, so it sounds good to me.

Actually, my real major at Arizona State was journalism so I'm a professionally trained skeptic.
Spent a year as a liberal arts major at a local junior college. Managed to put up Cs or better in 13 of 45 quarter hours. Stellar year. Took following Bonnie out of town to Tempe to get back on track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom