Builds Fly By Night (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started my Sunday morning insanity by cutting up the rest of the 3/16ā€ fishplates that will be used for all the new suspension hangers. Iā€™ve been cutting so much with the grinder in recent weeks that Iā€™ve developed some kind of tendinitis in my right elbow. With all the money Iā€™ve spent on 15 packs of cut-off wheels, I could have bought a plasma cutter by now and saved my elbow.

View attachment 2245905
Just go buy a plasma cutter! One of the best investments, truly is magic in a box!
Mike

So, hey - Pig on the Brain.

Called the fellas at Cruiser Outfitters and ordered a set of bushings. Big thanks to Bryce for that hustle he put in his step to go grab a set and put the metric calipers on to verify the 40mm OD/ 18mm ID dimensions for me!šŸ»

This afternoonā€™s step of forward progress was more like a left turn down a spur-road to go gaze off into some hellacious canyon. Pulled out the oxy/acetylene and liquified some rivets and factory welds on the rear inner c-channels and got them removed. Fortunately, the damage wasnā€™t too bad. The passenger side is the worst of the two. Right now, though, is the time to take care of this, rather than 5 years from now, as this project comes to a close.

0AF10601-43A3-4B9D-B82F-9CF1590384DF.jpeg

Passenger channel on the right. Couple spots there getting pretty thin.

80890C9E-C839-4F46-BFAB-92FDD83190DC.jpeg

F2224B73-8DFC-4446-A77D-C1B9B0B39B46.jpeg

30E7986A-CC2C-4509-97CC-93252EE42F60.jpeg

The main frame isnā€™t too bad, but I think Iā€™ll hit it with a sand blaster to flush out the corrosion before coating.

Last edited:
Yeah I got a Wuhon special plasma and itā€™s already paid for itself in cutoff wheels in a few days. My friend uses his every weekend rebuilding his bronco and had hundreds of cuts with it. $215 delivered.

07342B71-CFD3-421F-9328-83FAEF86C373.jpeg

If Doomer isn't around, you'll be able to jerk me out of the UT mud with that one. Nice work!
Of course, if he isn't around I won't be following him into the muck.

Lots of thought going into this, turning out great!

Have you given the rear bumper any thoughts and how it will bolt on?

How Iā€™m thinking in my head that itā€™s gonna bolt on is via some mounts welded onto the new crossmember with some captured nuts.
The top of the bumper is going to be at least two inches higher than the frame come out maybe 4ā€, 90 down for a couple inches then 45 down to meet the bottom of the frame. Wanna pie-cut the ends and then transition into some sliders for the rear quarters which will be square instead of round pipe. Pretty much a slightly less hillbilly version of what was on there before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom