Builds Fly By Night (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of Cruiser project irons in the fire right now, trying to reason out which ones I should delegate my time to. Saturday was shot to sh*t, so got moving today on these two lovelies - new dual battery tray and the wiring harness.

Bent up the bottom of the tray and hopefully have a solid plan for the sides worked out. It will also have a bottom mounting support made out of
2” x 1/8” flat stock.

View attachment 3220492

What are you doing for heat and AC? The batteries will be right in front of the firewall where the heat and AC lines typically pass through

What are you doing for heat and AC? The batteries will be right in front of the firewall where the heat and AC lines typically pass through
The lines will be passing well under the batteries. I’m copying Scrappy and running everything through bulkheads right through that squarish concavity on the passenger side of the firewall.

3CD57BDE-B11B-4783-8405-1D3C94D15DFB.jpeg

This second pic shows Ron’s battery tray. Mine will be pulled towards the front more to clear the heat shield. I’m going to weld that rectangular hole shut on the inner fender and bolt through that into a substantial backing plate.
06311DA7-6641-4D0B-9EE6-1EAE4D4FF975.jpeg

Last edited:
Lots of Cruiser project irons in the fire right now, trying to reason out which ones I should delegate my time to. Saturday was shot to sh*t, so got moving today on these two lovelies - new dual battery tray and the wiring harness.

Bent up the bottom of the tray and hopefully have a solid plan for the sides worked out. It will also have a bottom mounting support made out of
2” x 1/8” flat stock.

View attachment 3220492

Got the idea to plan out the harness by taping and zip-tying it to a section of peg-board by the guy I bought the engine from. Took some measurements in the Cruiser and roughed out where I want the harness to be and mocked the ECM and the old intake manifold and got everything mostly run out to the area where it’s going or heading. Next will just be a matter of lengthening or shortening to fit.

View attachment 3220493
That is freaking brilliant!!!
I will be curious how you lengthen the wires that need to go longer. Splices in factory wiring always concern me.
For shortening, will you pull the terminal out of the connector, cut to length, and then fit a new connector (no splices)?

That is freaking brilliant!!!
I will be curious how you lengthen the wires that need to go longer. Splices in factory wiring always concern me.
For shortening, will you pull the terminal out of the connector, cut to length, and then fit a new connector (no splices)?
That’s pretty much the idea. Unfortunately yes, many wires will have to be spliced to be lengthened. There is the theoretical possibility that the wire that needs lengthened can be removed from the ECM plug and a new wire of the correct length installed with a new ECM connector pin, but that’s next level OCD and I’m not sure I have the patience.
Currently I’m investigating all the ways a person can spend hundreds of dollars on specialized crimp tools. The electrical system is this huge, ever expanding, multi-dimensional learning curve, that even after working on for a couple of decades, ends up being something I know next to nothing about. Which to me is great, and why I love doing this - a chance and reason to expand my knowledge. In two months I’ll be a walking 12v electrical encyclopedia of useless information.

That’s pretty much the idea. Unfortunately yes, many wires will have to be spliced to be lengthened. There is the theoretical possibility that the wire that needs lengthened can be removed from the ECM plug and a new wire of the correct length installed with a new ECM connector pin, but that’s next level OCD and I’m not sure I have the patience.
Currently I’m investigating all the ways a person can spend hundreds of dollars on specialized crimp tools. The electrical system is this huge, ever expanding, multi-dimensional learning curve, that even after working on for a couple of decades, ends up being something I know next to nothing about. Which to me is great, and why I love doing this - a chance and reason to expand my knowledge. In two months I’ll be a walking 12v electrical encyclopedia of useless information.

I did similar to the BJ73 wiring harness I used although not to the same scale as you have to with your fancy EFI petrol thingo.. I did quite a bit of integrating by extending and adding to it only using basic crimps for a mechanical connection, with heat shrink were possible. Here was my motivation for this approach:

https://youtu.be/3YEw5tY3kdw?t=2362

I got the wife to by a 100pkt of of these things: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003151040644.html?pdp_npi=2@dis!USD!US $1.95!$1.56!!!!!@210312f816686734840686758e688e!12000024373280426!btf&_t=pvid:526f3d7c-3599-4c84-93cb-5fe3c98c8ac7&afTraceInfo=1005003151040644__pc__pcBridgePPC__xxxxxx__1668673484&spm=a2g0o.ppclist.product.mainProduct&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
50-100-200pcs-453-U-shaped-Terminal-Tab-Cold-Inserts-Connectors-Cold-Terminal-Small-Teeth-Fascia.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

However for my rear bar wiring I got a pack of these and chopped off the female spade bit..
PT4521-phone-type-crimp-lugs-pk-100ImageMain-515.jpg

Last edited:
You're welcome....

Nice looking set, not sure how I missed that after blazing through that crimper section the last 15 times.
It does have the non-insulated terminal crimper die set that I was first shopping around for.
Not seeing a die set for the Aptive 56 series, which I think is what the Highway 22 harness uses. Does one of them cross over?
The MAC tool guy is supposed to show up tomorrow with a similar kit. We’ll see what it looks like.

Does one of them cross over?
It's been a minute but I probably used this one..

you'll need this for the relay panel.

Get you a pack of Solder-Seal.
They are great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom