FJ40 Chassis rust question - with pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, full tear down on my FJ40 as it was starting to get rusty. Chassis in pretty good nic except for the rear suspension spring perches. Question is do you think the perches should be replaced or can we scrape out the rust that's pushed the plates apart and push it back together. The rails and suspension hangers look fine. Basically, the question is should we repair or replace the perches?

chassis2.jpg

chassis3.jpg

I'd tear that apart and see what's bad. I think at a minimum you need to track down the triangular plates. You might have to remove the crossmember to fix it right.

remove and replace as necessary. now is the time, and you would just be kidding yourself to think you can get it cleaned up any other way.

Definitely replace. I just completed mine and ended up replacing rear bumper as well. Too many thin spots on it and then discovered the angle braces were basically termites holding hands.

ok, looking at this stage like the triangle plates should be replaced. I'll dig into it some more to see how bad it is but would rather err on side of caution. Don't want rear suspension coming unglued anytime soon.

That rust is the layers of the steel de-laminating. Any metal left after chipping away the expanded portion will be extremely thin and badly weakened. I once cut up and threw away a frame that bad. Luckily there are options now days. You need to replace the metal on the frame rail itself and the spring hanger plates. You will also likely have similar rust between the rear angle braces and the rear bumper/crossmember. Several vendors sell repair pieces. Do it now and sleep/drive safely from here on out.

That's great, hope your considering making more and selling them.

There is a cruiser shop in Vermont, can’t remember the name off the top of my head but I’ll look tomorrow, that makes the rear spring mounting plates. I used their 45* angle braces for the rear of my frame during my rebuild and it’s good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom