Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the main leaf breaking would be some scary s*** on the road. Not sure what it would do but I can't help but use my imagination.

If it weren't a main leaf at risk I wouldn't be scared at all lol

I take my truck on trails constantly very two weeks or so and my re arched leaves might last a year or so before going back to where they were. I have really flat springs so they have a hard life to begin with.

Maybe you could bring your leaves in for a heat treat for cheap right now before they lose their shape. Still won't be solving the missing mill wrap second leaf issue but it's a start.

Might be worth a phone call

Mike

I think the main leaf breaking would be some scary s*** on the road. Not sure what it would do but I can't help but use my imagination.

If it weren't a main leaf at risk I wouldn't be scared at all lol

I take my truck on trails constantly very two weeks or so and my re arched leaves might last a year or so before going back to where they were. I have really flat springs so they have a hard life to begin with.

Maybe you could bring your leaves in for a heat treat for cheap right now before they lose their shape. Still won't be solving the missing mill wrap second leaf issue but it's a start.

Might be worth a phone call

Mike

again, defeating the purpose of the test, which is, what can we do for free

If I'm going to spend money on it I'd just have custom mains made. I probably will end up doing that. they really aren't expensive. But anyone can do that.

You're an engineer, how is anyone supposed to really know the results of something without testing? everyone is probably right and this is a terrible idea but why not at least confirm it? :lol:

again, defeating the purpose of the test, which is, what can we do for free

If I'm going to spend money on it I'd just have custom mains made. I probably will end up doing that. they really aren't expensive. But anyone can do that.

You're an engineer, how is anyone supposed to really know the results of something without testing? everyone is probably right and this is a terrible idea but why not at least confirm it? :lol:

I could have more than a few choice words with engineers......

I’ll get behind your free mod, test it see what happens. Bet nothing and it works good enough, prove them all wrong pretty please 😁

Hows that sound deadening material performing? I sure hope its better then what they saying in this thread:

Last edited:
It’s fine. Doing the doors makes the biggest difference in my opinion

Anyone turboed an LS swapped 60 yet?

I agree. Maybe I need to do something about that :hmm:

I’ve been working on setting up my friend’s hot rod truck with a big PWM-control brushless fan from a Mercedes sedan (most German cars from about 2005-up have these sophisticated fan setups) and realized my Land Cruiser could benefit from something like this as well!
So I went to the junkyard and grabbed this fan, the shroud dimension is 27x16 so should work on the 60 rad.
It’s from a 2007 CLK350 as well as several other 2001-2005 models, it’s a 19” blade, and 600watts (!!!) (for reference, a super high-end 16” Spal fan is like 350watt max, I think my Ford fans should be about 150 watt each).

I happily paid my $28 to the junkyard.

Ordered up a $13 PWM frequency generator with a dial-based duty cycle control and made it spin.
And it’s insane.
On full blast with it sitting flat on the floor it takes considerable effort to lift it off. Like 45-50 lbs force. It tore a thick paper towel to complete shreds. I’m going to see if it slices a Slim Jim next.

Anyways, excited to get this installed and do some testing. The goal is to be able to leave it on a low duty cycle and still use a ECU fan trigger output to relay the power (need to find a big relay, like 55-60amp), and have the controller in the center console or under the dash and be able to turn the speed up on the fly for hot dusty trail situations.

88A8979C-2B2E-4027-BBF6-7B663A3FEF31.jpeg

Very cool. Where was this before I ordered my SPAL fan and PWM temperature control switch?

This isn’t anything new, you just don’t see people trying to homebrew stuff like this on Land Cruisers often.

I've used this relay

I would like nice and sealed like an OEM part but might just do something like that to get going for now.
I am wanting to completely re do the way I have my ECU mount, engine fuse and relay panel, fan wiring, winch wiring etc anyways as a lot of it was rushed and some hasty trail repairs have been made since then but of course it’s a big project that’s going to take me forever to get around to.
I also initially set it up for dual batteries but these days I really don’t see myself going back to dual batteries. Thinking about putting the battery over to the drivers side to make the turbo placement easier

Is that fan reversible at all? That would be really cool to blow the dust and crud out of your radiator from the back like most equipment does now.

Is that fan reversible at all? That would be really cool to blow the dust and crud out of your radiator from the back like most equipment does now.

I doubt it and these fans are too expensive new to risk killing it by switching the +/-. I don't think it will matter much though this thing is probably going to be able to suck small animals through the radiator and shred them up like that bald dude in Indiana Jones

So now the question is, can this be made to work with the Holley terminator? Obviously you could wire it independently but....controlled by the Holley that would be cool....haha

So now the question is, can this be made to work with the Holley terminator? Obviously you could wire it independently but....controlled by the Holley that would be cool....haha

Yes. With the Terminator X it is way easier because you can set one of your outputs to be a PWM and set it up to modulate speed based on whatever you want, temp would make the most sense obviously.
I’m doing exactly this on a C10 I’ve been building. Also a 600watt PWM Mercedes fan but from a different model that fits the C10 rad better.

9243EF89-9677-4DD2-A721-69A00922AC2E.jpeg

Last edited:
So what I’m gathering is there isn’t anything the terminator x can’t do.

Well it can’t do MAP based boost control and it only has four I/O. :lol:
Not really issues for most LC folks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom