Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a junk 60 rad around so did a quick test fit of the CLK350 fan on it before closing up for the day. Perfect fit! The flat edges down the sides of the shroud overlay perfectly. Should be able to just drill some holes in these and use some bolts, couldn't be easier.

156353099_266351684899243_2177599452395268818_n.jpg

156494493_159298702691328_3543576083676114270_n.jpg

156971246_450625199589280_6390074380162123263_n.jpg

156868874_138413714827925_3635546613250269007_n.jpg

Thanks.
You're right, with the 01-06 you can use a 16". It's the V8 4Runner brakes with the 13.5" rotor that kit lets you use that needs a 17".

The spacer you're reffeing to actualy goes between the caliper and bracket to position the caliper correctly on the rotor. They also give me proper threads for the bolts (brackets are 0.400" and the spacers are 0.250"). Are the FROR brackets tapped or through-holes? They're only 3/8" right?

These are regular mild steel.

I converted these hubs as well as my 80 rear FF hubs to use ARP 7/16" bolts. I think I put the part number up in here at one point. Awesome upgrade. Cheaper then the ARP studs that are made to fit and stronger. And no more cone washers to hammer besides the steering arms, but I have a plan for that upgrade if I have any issues with steering arms when I finally get to wheel this thing.
I know you've since gone to 17s, but did you ever see if 15s would fit with this setup?

I know you've since gone to 17s, but did you ever see if 15s would fit with this setup?

I never got around to it. I am about to go to the 13.5" 2010-20 4Runner setup so i will try to test fit some 15's before I do that. Is there a specific size you'd like me to try? I have a ton of cruisers in and out of my shop with all different wheel sizes. The problem is without a deep backspace wheel it will stick way out past the wheelwell, and that deep backspace is what would let a 15" fit.

I never got around to it. I am about to go to the 13.5" 2010-20 4Runner setup so i will try to test fit some 15's before I do that. Is there a specific size you'd like me to try? I have a ton of cruisers in and out of my shop with all different wheel sizes. The problem is without a deep backspace wheel it will stick way out past the wheelwell, and that deep backspace is what would let a 15" fit.
I have a set of Appliance wire mag 15x8.5s with about 3.75in of backspace (I run 1/4in spacers in front now). I'm cool with running some spacers & poking a bit. I was worried the outer diameter of the calipers might rub the inside. I can go measure some spots in the inside of the rim if you think that'll be where there's contact.

91-92 80's have 15's, the 93-up brakes aren't THAT much bigger.. you could run the 91-92 brakes and they would still be a pretty substantial upgrade to 60 brakes

And the problem with having a lot of tire poking out is usually scrub radius

How's the butyl on your hood holding up? Did it have any effect on perceived noise or engine temps?

The first layer is still there, the second layer is peeling off and look terrible. I need to clean it up. As for as temp/noise i think it reduced noise with the windows down. No difference when the windows were up.

Manifest destiny is almost complete boys

47A52DF8-524C-41FF-9698-F2462E24762C.jpeg

That Merc fan is some good info. 50A...she'll do some work. I've been planning on leaving the mechanical fan in mine, but if one of these turns up locally I'll have to give this a try.

I'll keep an eye out to see how those 37s fit up with your axle placement. Mine lightly hit the front fender when stuffed at lock...

That Merc fan is some good info. 50A...she'll do some work. I've been planning on leaving the mechanical fan in mine, but if one of these turns up locally I'll have to give this a try.

I'll keep an eye out to see how those 37s fit up with your axle placement. Mine lightly hit the front fender when stuffed at lock...

Yeah dude. These Euro fans are all crazy powerful.
I should be ready to get it swapped in the next few days or so. I am hoping my cheap PWM controller works out alright.

Our local LKQ is light on Mercs at the moment, but they're pretty flush on BMWs. Know of any of those off hand that do better than others?

Check your PWM driver. The FETs do all the heavy lifting. So long as they aren't some generic black box garbage you're probably going to be OK.

Our local LKQ is light on Mercs at the moment, but they're pretty flush on BMWs. Know of any of those off hand that do better than others?

Check your PWM driver. The FETs do all the heavy lifting. So long as they aren't some generic black box garbage you're probably going to be OK.

So pretty much everything German afternoon about 2004-5 has a crazy powerful PWM speed-controlled brushless fan. It’s just a matter of picking one that fits. The CLK350 fan was the first I found that fit the 60 rad nicely, I’m sure they are other options.

Gotcha. I'll poke around the yard and see what's up. Camo could benefit from full cooling power at low speed.

My FZJ80 front brake experiment had resulted in super excessive runout on both front rotors for months and I finally got tired of putting it off, additionally I finally decided to step up to 17” wheels so I went ahead and put the 5th Gen 4runner setup on last week when I had a few free hours. It’s working great and is nice to have smooth brakes again.
I liked the performance of the FZJ80 brakes up front with the hydroboost, something was either up with my machining to make it work or it may have just been the cheap rotors I used. The big downside to that setup was the way I pressed the lugs into the rotor instead of the hub was a terrible mistake which is why I’ve abandoned it.

The nice thing is that my master cylinder (1-3/16” bore) was a bit on the large size for the 80 brakes, so I had a very firm pedal with very little feel, with the 5th Gen brakes being larger it feels much more “correct” now. I like it a lot.

9EC39A04-5C5F-4C12-8CC9-03A628DAB3E8.jpeg

36C5E248-6154-44B8-8BD7-EF8705537E01.jpeg

My FZJ80 front brake experiment had resulted in super excessive runout on both front rotors for months and I finally got tired of putting it off, additionally I finally decided to step up to 17” wheels so I went ahead and put the 5th Gen 4runner setup on last week when I had a few free hours. It’s working great and is nice to have smooth brakes again.
I liked the performance of the FZJ80 brakes up front with the hydroboost, something was either up with my machining to make it work or it may have just been the cheap rotors I used. The big downside to that setup was the way I pressed the lugs into the rotor instead of the hub was a terrible mistake which is why I’ve abandoned it.

The nice thing is that my master cylinder (1-3/16” bore) was a bit on the large size for the 80 brakes, so I had a very firm pedal with very little feel, with the 5th Gen brakes being larger it feels much more “correct” now. I like it a lot.

View attachment 2643192

View attachment 2643193
Do the 80’s lugs press through the rotor and hub like the stock 60? Or do they only go through the hub? I ask because I’ve never been able to find replacement lugs long enough from the box stores for the 60 and I’m wondering if the 80 lugs are shorter and they have them listed as compatible with the 60 for some reason...
Never touched an 80 before...

Do the 80’s lugs press through the rotor and hub like the stock 60? Or do they only go through the hub? I ask because I’ve never been able to find replacement lugs long enough from the box stores for the 60 and I’m wondering if the 80 lugs are shorter and they have them listed as compatible with the 60 for some reason...
Never touched an 80 before...

No. On an 80 the rotor bolts to the back of the hub like a 86-up IFS Truck, 4Runner T100. They use a short lug.
When I put 80 brakes on my 60 I drilled those threaded holes outs and pressed 3” long ARP extended lugs for a Mitsubishi Evo into the rotor. The difference between this and a original 60 setup is that on a 60 the actual knurl grip surface grabs the hub, not the rotor.
The cast iron rotors are too soft to keep a tight knurl grip. In my opinion

Off topic post more about the 2jz foxbody on your Instagram what you posted was a big tease

Well we need to build it first lol

V8/Nv4500, 3/4 ton rear springs, airbags, heavy duty brakes with hydroboost worked really good for towing this trailer, for a 60 anyways. I’d guess 5k lbs.
Not saying it’s a tow rig, but works good
in a pinch

0B3CC22A-97C2-4170-9134-61EF1CFAD4D6.jpeg

B52E5565-2E07-407E-A92B-482F8D6F3D2E.jpeg

I assume it'll be boosted? I mean...it HAS to get boosted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom