Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hood looks pretty good considering its from a $2.50 can of paint. I bet it will even out, then give it some wet sand action. Just one can of color needed? I've got some paint leftover... maybe 1.5 cans, need to do my fender and hood. And yes quit hitting rocks and trees! LOL

That’s two coats, four cans. First coat was too bright. Second coat was decent color but came out bad. I just wet sanded it and it’s already an improvement on what my hood looked like before it got bent. Going to try a Krylon or Rustoleum with a wider nozzle tomorrow

That’s two coats, four cans. First coat was too bright. Second coat was decent color but came out bad. I just wet sanded it and it’s already an improvement on what my hood looked like before it got bent. Going to try a Krylon or Rustoleum with a wider nozzle tomorrow
Try Krylon Fusion All in One paint. I used it when I painted everything black during the SOA swap and it sprayed nice, dried fast and wasn’t tacky. I did it outside in winter and it was touchable in 10-15 minutes. Rustoleum was still tacky the next day.

Was going through some photo albums and came across some neat pictures.
The second pic is my Dad's Jaguar he's had since he was 17. We're working together on a full restoration of it currently. I might post up a thread in chat about it when we are nearing completion.

E33FBF88-23D0-437E-816F-12F40F2C3D05.jpeg

2E5643E9-169F-41E5-879A-74D3AA7CCC77.jpeg

Got the hood painted and installed the other week. Put on double layer of Noico 80mil butyl liner. I rushed it and it came out a little sloppy but made a nice difference. Maybe I'll splurge for an new stock hood liner to install over it.

C788A748-0E2F-4730-ADFC-C179FED80AE3.jpeg

9081967D-FE0F-4CE8-AA7F-E2C17A35C035.jpeg

DE97D224-11ED-4BF7-BE4E-B0F68BB728D4.jpeg

I got my AC hoses installed as well. I machined up a quick bracket to hold the service ports securely to minimize fiddling when servicing. If you look closely its bolted to sheetmetal that uses the inner/outer fender bolt. You might also notice the dirty engine bay from daily driving and offroading.

F0E11F0E-694F-44DD-B925-4631D2C538C5.jpeg

9D61B577-DE70-49F1-ACCF-39BBB80EC50C.jpeg

E9D1457D-93A7-4D02-9F3A-F5BE8B6DE7B3.jpeg

D0949D5F-2ED5-4F92-A20B-18200BA5B483.jpeg

I ordered AC Delco part # #12101937 to replace the Toyota compressor connection, this connects to the GM compressor (1997-2012). Got it on Amazon next-day for $10. No cutting wires on future compressor swaps.

61j4mUvM47L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Sick job man. Which condenser did you use and where did you get your fittings/lines from?

You able to get the 134 charge couplers on with the bolt right their? Thats nice its hard mounted like that.

Hopefully! I don't have charge couplers on hand so I just guessed. Only took my 45 min to make it so if I have to re-make it isn't a big deal.
Also it may be a bit of an illusion but the top of the nut and stud is lower then the bottom of the service ports

Last edited:
Sick job man. Which condenser did you use and where did you get your fittings/lines from?
Thanks. That's a 2015(?) Chevy Sonic condenser. It has a built-in drier which is nice, one less thing to mount and plumb and is about as big a unit that can fit in the available space. It also has a modern parallel flow design would should be more efficient.

Fittings and hose purchased at local Florida-based supplier called Amazon Hose (no affiliation with Amazon.com). It was expensive and I could have used Coldhose.com and gotten everything for much less, but I was impulsive and wanted to get it done that day before my hood fiasco happened. The 14mm fitting on the evaporator was purchased from @FJ60Cam, it's a weird one.

For any other Vortech/LS swappers with truck accessory drives and the stock condenser, just buy your lines from @FJ60Cam (Mosley Motors). Great value there.

That's the one. I actually started with this almost exactly a year ago. Looks like it was from a 2016, looks the same as the 2015 though. Posts #1329 and #1330:

Practically new AC condenser from a crashed 2016 Chevy Sonic. Modern efficient design, parallel flow, and it has a drier built in (under the black oil cooler). So glad to not have that stupid hardline running across the front of the condenser anymore. I’m going to have to get a bit creative to use the proprietary fitting block on it but I have a few ideas for that. My criteria were as big as I could fit in this space and cheap.
I’m going to stick a big fan in front of this as well.

The other cooler is a transmission cooler from a Grand Cherokee. I’m going to use it for my steering. My criteria were threaded fittings, and on the same side, and cheap.
View attachment 1757296
I had #6 and #8 o-ring fittings brazed onto the hardlines sticking out of the GM block fitting.
Just need to make some mounts for the condenser and a nice pusher fan.

View attachment 1758489

My current schedule has me driving across town every day at about 12-12:30. In lots of traffic. For anyone is looking to not waste $1k on a custom Ron Davis radiator and custom fan shroud I’m pleased to report my stock radiator and Ford fans are still working great with my 5.3 even with the AC condenser in the way of the radiator now. I need to get the AC charged and windows tinted ASAP though as it is really hot.

002A3654-F4A6-4493-9C09-A68B0CE52F32.jpeg

I've never measured but I'm guessing a 134 coupler is about 1.25" in diameter.

You changed it from 1.75" to 1.25".. I'm hoping its closer to 1.25"! I can loosen the bolt a few turns and rotated the service ports away from each other but that's going to kill the look! :)

You changed it from 1.75" to 1.25".. I'm hoping its closer to 1.25"! I can loosen the bolt a few turns and rotated the service ports away from each other but that's going to kill the look! :)
Ya I went and checked when I walked by the ac machine and changed it. It looks more like 1.25 to me.

Ya I went and checked when I walked by the ac machine and changed it. It looks more like 1.25 to me.

R134 couplers hooked up to my hoses without issue :) even with only a 1lb in there the AC was pretty cold, I have a leak somewhere in the dash so the shop didn't put more in. :(
I forgot to post a picture of my condenser mounts and wiring. Simple stuff but came out pretty nice.

Sorry for the huge pictures. Quick bracket to hold connector for compressor. As stated earlier I bought the correct body side GM connector so future compressor swap is a bolt-in deal.
Same deal for condenser mounts, the tab on the GM condenser is an inch off the 60 core support hole, and the other side has no tab. Rather then welding new tabs to the condenser I elected to make custom parts so a future condenser swap is a bolt in deal. The drivers side tab is a tube I slit so is clips onto the round tube of the condenser end-tank. Like I said nothing special, just scrap bits and I only spent an hour or so on them.

684607CF-E4E9-4DDB-9139-F67CA19DF386.jpeg

D55CE5F3-0CF2-4690-92F3-92B030091EA6.jpeg

7F6D051D-75CC-44BE-8283-87DF572BA073.jpeg

9F66020D-D4B5-4644-B5CB-97583964FA61.jpeg

Last edited:
I accidentally uploaded the blurry versions of my pics. I updated with the right ones. Now who wants to see some carnage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom