Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gotcha, I just don't picture how a couple inches of 5/8 tube has more resistance right at he source than feet of hose, through a open valve, heater core then back through feet of hose.

Guess it works for rear heaters, didn't think of that either.

My rear heater is deleted.
Also, think Florida, I won’t miss a few missing degrees of heater temperature.

Gotcha, I just don't picture how a couple inches of 5/8 tube has more resistance right at he source than feet of hose, through a open valve, heater core then back through feet of hose.

Guess it works for rear heaters, didn't think of that either.

Yep, same thing as having the rear heater in the loop. A straight 90 causes a lot of friction, so the water will tend to keep going straight if the heater valve is open. Heater exchangers are designed for a minimal pressure drop in flow.

(my apologies, too many hours in school learning this the hard way. Matt’s approach is sound.)

Yep, same thing as having the rear heater in the loop. A straight 90 causes a lot of friction, so the water will tend to keep going straight if the heater valve is open. Heater exchangers are designed for a minimal pressure drop in flow.

(my apologies, too many hours in school learning this the hard way. Matt’s approach is sound.)

Oh don’t worry, I’m at school pretending to learn about the same things. :hmm: Thanks for the better explanation.

Yeah, this doesn’t have any open/close action but I didn’t like how the ones everyone uses are plastic. And I couldn’t find an “H” off the shelf.

28CD21B4-77EA-480D-A84F-02034F52D4F3.jpeg

Punch list to drive it:

Rear driveshaft.

You finally got rid of that old piece of chit straight six. SWEET!

Just looking back a few pages and I am now realizing you did your SOA. Congratulations! Finally joining the boys with at the small penis club. lol.

I do agree that the rear axle has to move back. I just re-drilled the spring perches and u-bolt plates and used a 4 speed drive shaft thats 3-4 inches longer that accounts for the SOA and stretch. Although you have a doubler so that would non applicable to you. Just another thing is that your front springs are going to get shhit kicked. I would recommend adding an extra main and medium spring. Do you have a rear track bar? One rock hop and the rear springs will be pooched. Trust me, I have ruined so many leafs.

Your work is uber awesome. Over the top really. Do you have a job? Or do you just work on your cruiser all day?

Cheers! Julian.

Just looking back a few pages and I am now realizing you did your SOA. Congratulations! Finally joining the boys with at the small penis club. lol.

I do agree that the rear axle has to move back. I just re-drilled the spring perches and u-bolt plates and used a 4 speed drive shaft thats 3-4 inches longer that accounts for the SOA and stretch. Although you have a doubler so that would non applicable to you. Just another thing is that your front springs are going to get shhit kicked. I would recommend adding an extra main and medium spring. Do you have a rear track bar? One rock hop and the rear springs will be pooched. Trust me, I have ruined so many leafs.

Your work is uber awesome. Over the top really. Do you have a job? Or do you just work on your cruiser all day?

Cheers! Julian.

Yup. Took the truck apart and did the motor swap and SOA at the same time. Well, I purposely mounted the motor a bit low so it would force me to do the SOA :lol: my old SUA suspension was so clapped out I had to do something.

I moved the front axle forwards about 3-4" and the rear axle backwards about 1" I think. I have all Ruffstuff hardware so it's drilled in multiple positions.

My spring setup is rear 60 springs up front, and 63" Chevy 3/4-ton springs in the rear. These are some seriously strong rear springs and I don't think I will need a rear trac bar. I am concerned about the front though, but mostly because the springs I used are worn out and I really used them only for getting the locations. I am shopping for a set of good or new stock-height 60/62 rear springs. I should have probably used a more available spring like XJ rear leafs but I liked that the 60 sings have offset pins to put the axle forwards without loosing approach angle, and keep the mil-wrap at the fixed point (I did a shackle reversal as well).

Thanks for the compliments. As for the job, building this Cruiser this summer has pretty much been a full-time job with overtime.
The short answer is that I stopped working earlier this year and I just started back at school (pursuing an engineering degree. Again.)
Over the past few years I've worked as a tech in a shop building Land Rover Defenders, engine swaps, restorations, etc, I worked on about a 1/2-dozen LS conversions there. I've also had a bunch of welding, machining, and fabrication jobs. Most recently I was a welder on a production line. Which sucked but was good money and bought me this summer's Cruiser modifications :D

Yes, it needs rear shocks. And probably stiffer front shocks. And another maybe another muffler or two. :D

646D0147-FB31-4153-B007-215CF89DBECC.png

work Matt. Looks a bit jumpy in the video, must be all that get up and go. After these swaps it like driving a new vehicle. A new motor and 5 gears. Nice sound cruising down the street. Your ready to burn tires and I’ll blow black smoke. :rofl:

View attachment 1794267
work Matt. Looks a bit jumpy in the video, must be all that get up and go. After these swaps it like driving a new vehicle. A new motor and 5 gears. Nice sound cruising down the street. Your ready to burn tires and I’ll blow black smoke. :rofl:

No rear shocks :doh:

No smoke shows either.:frown: Well it sounds and looks like you have a love for 4x4's and I wasn't trying to pry on your state of employment. I havn't worked since December.

Yes chevy springs should be good enough. Time will tell. LS power x traction. I guess there ain't a whole lotta rocks in florida. You going to take her to Trucks gone wild?

No smoke shows either.:frown: Well it sounds and looks like you have a love for 4x4's and I wasn't trying to pry on your state of employment. I havn't worked since December.

Yes chevy springs should be good enough. Time will tell. LS power x traction. I guess there ain't a whole lotta rocks in florida. You going to take her to Trucks gone wild?

Yeah, I’ve got a lot of tweaking to do on this thing before I post any show-off videos. It’s just way too out of control right now with the suspension all over the place. Also the motor wants to stall under braking because I haven’t hooked the VSS up yet and I have a clutch issue I need to sort out.

I’m going to say that’s a no on the mudding. Lol.

Anyone have any recommendations for a clutch master/slave combo for an LS/NV4500? What I have isn’t working right. However I may have a bad slave, I did accidentally launch the piston out of it a few months ago and possibly reasssembled it incorrectly.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I just turned 28 and am also pursing an engineering degree after a decade of an automotive and fabrication career. It’s been tough going back to college especially with full time job and kid but really trying to keep my focus on the end goal. It’s very difficult at times...

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? I just turned 28 and am also pursing an engineering degree after a decade of an automotive and fabrication career. It’s been tough going back to college especially with full time job and kid but really trying to keep my focus on the end goal. It’s very difficult at times...

22 in November :beer:

I have new 14”-travel Bilstein 5125’s on the front, nothing on the rear yet. I’m going to make some quick mounts and throw my old OME rear shocks vertically (most dampening) on there just so I have something. They’re pretty much shot though.
I have a friend with a pair of nice 12” Fox remote reservoirs that I might buy. I want something on the stiffer side for the rear to help control those heavy Chevy springs with all the road miles I put on this thing.

I was out pricing some shocks today, I think I am going to just pony up and get a SOA done. I would love to go King, but they are proud of their shocks. I am thinking of going Fox. Will the Marlin Crawler High Steer kit work for the FJ62? that is really the only thing left I need to figure out on this SOA.

Yup. The Marlin kit is a great option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom