Anyone try WoolWax yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey @RND1 if you want to come up to Maine sometime I will coat your truck for you.

I still have a couple of gallons of wool wax left.

Very generous offer! Thought you were using FF on your rigs? I was in Ogunquit last week and saw a really clean white 80 was that you?

Our warehouse is in Fall River, MA. And no... we don't apply anything. Although we did install a lift for testing purposes.
There are so many undercoating products out there, and the ones that are still left in business all perform well I think. Naturally all of us have our strengths and weaknesses. I'm more familiar with Krown. They have been around for a long time and they are very popular in Canada. The product performs well but their major weakness is the very low viscosity. Krown never stops dripping. Many NH Oil undercoaters have converted to applying Woolwax for a variety of reasons. Their product also performs well....but the major issue that we hear about NHoil is the extremely strong chemical smell. Undercoaters have told us that they "feel high" and that some of their employees refuse to work with it. I'm sure we have some weaknesses at Woolwax also, but offhand I can't think of any right now. :)
You sound like a very stand up guy, the product seems about as good as it gets too. I live in a relatively low salt state in the scheme of things, but even still my cruisers stay parked if there is a hint of it on the roads and I just drive whatever sh*tty beater I currently have. Thinking about applying it anyway just bc of all the moisture/humidity lol.

Very generous offer! Thought you were using FF on your rigs? I was in Ogunquit last week and saw a really clean white 80 was that you?
I always used fluid film until
This year. Bought a 5 gallon bucket of wool wax and have tried that. I have a couple gallons of both left currently

My 80 is green and unfortunately wouldn’t be called clean with the awful pine sap issue I am having at my house this summer. I have spent hours trying to keep up and I have given up now that high school soccer season started with double sessions as well as my full time job.

John

Just ordered a 5 gal. pail. Thanks for offering this product. I'm looking forward to using it.

Awesome. Please let me know as i'd likely use a HF cheapo and toss it after as well (unless it was somehow actually cleanable).
One of the things i read about the woolwax vs fluid film was that it dripped a lot less during application.

While i'd plan on laying plastic down underneath my application area is a sloped driveway and i worry about it running down into the drains. I'm gonna have to do it laying on my back under the rig but worry about corrosion in the wet PNW :bang:.

There is way less salt on the roads here I don't worry

While WA is far from being a “rustbelt” - thought I’d comment that our state switched from non-salt de-icer to straight salt some decade back for the exact reason @Wompom touched on - the salt goes down drains & ends up in the ocean & we’re trying to protect salmon/the ocean in general.

So since my 80 is my go-to vehicle over the Tundra in frozen conditions, and my dedicated rig for going up to Mt Baker ski area, I may start going to a preventative coating since we all know once rust gets a start on a Yota, it is like a kid who discovers Pop Rocks :p

Alot of people never heard we as a state switched until this last Winter we had a shortage of road salt that made the news, and people thought we were still using calcium chlorate (or whatever it was called, I forget TBH).

But people here should keep it in mind we’re a salt state now. —Take it as you like.—

Does this product damage factory paint in any way? A bit tangential to the topic but I just bought a Land Cruiser Pickup, 1994 FZJ75, and it has an OEM Toyota drop-in plastic bedliner. Although I'm high and dry in Riyadh, I will be shipping it back to the southeast US and have been looking for a product to coat the bed with under the bedliner.

While WA is far from being a “rustbelt” - thought I’d comment that our state switched from non-salt de-icer to straight salt some decade back for the exact reason @Wompom touched on - the salt goes down drains & ends up in the ocean & we’re trying to protect salmon/the ocean in general.

So since my 80 is my go-to vehicle over the Tundra in frozen conditions, and my dedicated rig for going up to Mt Baker ski area, I may start going to a preventative coating since we all know once rust gets a start on a Yota, it is like a kid who discovers Pop Rocks :p

Alot of people never heard we as a state switched until this last Winter we had a shortage of road salt that made the news, and people thought we were still using calcium chlorate (or whatever it was called, I forget TBH).

But people here should keep it in mind we’re a salt state now. —Take it as you like.—

I did not know that, I know Oregon uses volcanic rock or the calcium Chloride deicer so I don't really go to Washington and my Cummins has put a fine coat of oil

Does this product damage factory paint in any way? A bit tangential to the topic but I just bought a Land Cruiser Pickup, 1994 FZJ75, and it has an OEM Toyota drop-in plastic bedliner. Although I'm high and dry in Riyadh, I will be shipping it back to the southeast US and have been looking for a product to coat the bed with under the bedliner.

@bob1008 Should have flagged this for you the first time.

The WoolWax I purchased is still unopened, but I have used Fluid Film for the last 6 years. I does no damage to anything as far as I can tell. I rub down all my bar work with it as well.

Did an application today. Used up almost an entire quart. Pancake compressor worked just fine. I would suggest getting the straight wand to reach some areas. Got the kit on amazon - 4quarts and a pro gun. I did not have any rust in frame. Just some surface spots where paint was worn off. Great stuff. Will apply again next year!
7976103D-9142-4C18-8534-ADC08852735A.jpeg
6533CEDA-B22A-438C-B9B4-D4EF480E0FD6.jpeg

Did an application today. Used up almost an entire quart. Pancake compressor worked just fine. I would suggest getting the straight wand to reach some areas. Got the kit on amazon - 4quarts and a pro gun. I did not have any rust in frame. Just some surface spots where paint was worn off. Great stuff. Will apply again next year!
View attachment 2107783View attachment 2107785
Looks great ! We appreciate the feedback. If anybody needs any additional information about Woolwax, I would be glad to answer any questions. Below is a link to the kit described i the above post. Of course the promo code "ih8mud" is still valid and we appreciate the incredible amount of support that we receive from members of this forum.

LOL, I go through more than 2x that when I spray my LX450. I hit everything.

I did 3 trucks in my driveway this past Saturday. Used up the last of the Fluid Film and switched to Wool Wax halfway through the second truck. I had to adjust my spray gun for the Wool Wax. It is a thicker consistency than the Fluid Film. Once I increased the flow rate, it sprayed on the same as the Fluid Film. I hope it protects the same way that Fluid Film does.

I
View attachment 2107783View attachment 2107785
Is that the black or straw colored wool wax?

I

Is that the black or straw colored wool wax?
It's the straw colored.

I did 3 trucks in my driveway this past Saturday. Used up the last of the Fluid Film and switched to Wool Wax halfway through the second truck. I had to adjust my spray gun for the Wool Wax. It is a thicker consistency than the Fluid Film. Once I increased the flow rate, it sprayed on the same as the Fluid Film. I hope it protects the same way that Fluid Film does.
I will be going back again after I get my extensions to get deeper into the rails. I thought I did a very thorough job. Maybe an additional 1/4 but not 2 quarts. Post some pics of your finished product!

Looks great ! We appreciate the feedback. If anybody needs any additional information about Woolwax, I would be glad to answer any questions. Below is a link to the kit described i the above post. Of course the promo code "ih8mud" is still valid and we appreciate the incredible amount of support that we receive from members of this forum.
Bob - For the pro gun, what extension options are there. For both regular spray and 360º? I do not see any options on your site.

How much drips as you spray? Trying to figure out a location to apply?

Bob - For the pro gun, what extension options are there. For both regular spray and 360º? I do not see any options on your site.

The Pro gun comes with (2) flexible extensions when you purchase the gun kit. 18" & 24". When you upgrade it on the Woolwax undercoating kit, you buy them separately.
a) 18" flexible wand with 360 degree nozzle. 18" is about as long as we could go and get a good flow with the 360 nozzle. Our undercoaters tell us that 18" is generally plenty as there are many access holes in the frame rails. We used to provide a 32" 360 wand that worked "ok" with Fluid Film because it is thinner. It is still available as an add-on but we don't recommend it. Some people buy the 32" and cut it down. The fittings are barbed, so they can be removed and re-inserted.
b) 24" flexible wand with straight open end. This is good especially if you are working from the ground, with the car not on a lift. You can hold the gun in one hand and aim the wand with the other.
c) 16" Aluminum straight wand- Not very useful and does not work very well.

The gun does great by itself with the brass nozzle on the end. It will spray out a good 12"-14". Normal psi is 70-90 psi. When using the extension wands you may need to bump up the pressure to 100-120 psi. The gun is rated much higher than that so it is not an issue.

It helps to use a regulator on the gun end to tweak the pressure as you work. The very cold air from the compressor changes the viscosity of the Woolwax, so it is nice to be able to adjust it right at the gun. I recommend leaving the compressor alone at whatever it normally operates at and just adjust at the gun end. The regulator that we sell right now is not very good because it only has +/- symbols and not a pressure gauge. You can pickup an inexpensive regulator with a standard 1/4" fitting almost anywhere with a dial readout that tells you what the pressure is.

This time of year it always helps to warm up the Woolwax a bit before spraying.
Black wands.jpg
Black wand tips 40.jpg

Ordered a 2 gallon kit with pro gun and wand. Looking forward to spraying my new Tacoma. For an older truck like my 80 with a good bit of rust do I need to treat those areas first with something before the woolwax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom