1998 HDJ80 with 1HDT - Refresh (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Purchased this '98 from a TX dealer that had it on BAT. To me it seemed very clean, rust free, and as original as can be. It has 246,000 kilometers or 153,000 miles.
Looking up the VIN on some sites does validate that it was factory produced with a 1HDT motor and had a build date of mid 1997. The available paperwork from Costa Rica have it registered as a 1998 for many years going as far back as early 2000's so its likely a 1998 model when sold new - remember these were sold till 2007 in some markets.
I was told it came from original owner in Costa Rica before making its debut in the USA. Not much paper maintenance history available and no site (that I am aware of) that can help.
Going into the purchase I knew there would be baseline maintenance to perform and some unknowns to uncover.
Once it was delivered the first obvious issue was that it was leaking coolant from around the thermostat. The BAT listing did mention the dealer "fixed" a leak at the thermostat so either there is a bigger problem or it was not properly fixed.
I looked over the entire truck and it is indeed very clean. No rust or body damage visible. Undercarriage may have been sprayed to make it look nicer but it's very obvious that the metal underneath is 100% there. No pitting or any signs of rust when looking in hard to spray areas. Interior looks to have been recovered at some point but I am not well versed in other markets so the material could be original to that region.
The engine ran strong for the few miles I put on it. Suspension is in need of a refresh and same with steering components.
This is my first diesel 80 so if you are well versed in these and have recommendation or see anything in the photos - please point it out. Thank you in advance!

The OEM build specs:
- A442F transmission (auto)
- K295 axles (non-locked)
- 1HDT motor
- HF1A transfer box (part time)
- 12v electric winch
- Dual A/C
- Power seats and window
- Spare tire swing out
- Subtank
- Quad headlights
- Manual hubs

Maintenance List:
- Timing belt job -> Completed
- BEB job -> Completed
- Turbo inspection -> Completed
- Knuckle and bearing job -> Completed
- Diff fluids -> Completed
- Transmission fluid flush -> Completed. Turned into a valve body cleaning and solenoid replacement job.
- Coolant flush with Toyota Red + new radiator -> Completed
- Engine oil and fuel filter -> Completed
- Injector cleaning -> Completed. Replaced with new oem
- Valve lash adjustment
- Injector pump adjustment -> pump rebuilt.
- Motor and trans mounts -> completed
- Replace fuel hoses - Completed
- Fix motorized antenna for radio -> completed
- Grease prop shafts
- New Tires -> completed

IMG_4942.jpeg

IMG_4946.jpeg

IMG_4957.jpeg

IMG_4961.jpeg

IMG_4962.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice looking rig! Can't imagine there are too many of these out there in LHD. I see you've got that rear AC setup too, haven't seen that very often. Looks very clean. How's it like to drive?

Is there no heater valve on the firewall?
No heater valve - they likely had a leak on the front heater core and bypassed it or the valve plastic failed and they bypassed it. I will do a pressure test on the core from engine bay to determine if it's leaking or not. Good eye!

Nice looking rig! Can't imagine there are too many of these out there in LHD. I see you've got that rear AC setup too, haven't seen that very often. Looks very clean. How's it like to drive?
Drives like an old Crown Vic - needs springs and shocks. Motor pulls hard and sounds great. With enough pedal you can get some turbo spool sound. Overall it drives as expected for an 80 that needs some basic maintenance.

Single battery so 12V starter? Bit of a poverty pack without the A/C console but still nice. Barn doors or tailgate?

Single battery so 12V starter? Bit of a poverty pack without the A/C console but still nice. Barn doors or tailgate?
Correct - 12v system and starter. Costa Rica does not see cold temperature and this is why they may not need a powerful starter. They do need the AC though!
Standard tailgate with swingout tire carrier on RHS.
The HF1A transfer case has the removable blank for a PTO which must have been an option along with the 12v winch. My other HF1A does not have a removable plate for the PTO. Would be nice to replace the 12v with a PTO for cool factor.

Nice! Does this have the line pressure cable like the 93-94 US A442’s, or is it like the later one that I believe has an additional solenoid to control line pressure.

Nice! Does this have the line pressure cable like the 93-94 US A442’s, or is it like the later one that I believe has an additional solenoid to control line pressure.
I don't recall seeing more than the pedal throttle cable.
This model does not have cruise control which I would like to add.

Started to work on getting access to the thermostat and cooling system components to identify the cause of coolant loss. Within 30 minutes I was able to identify the issue - thermostat pipe to radiator had cracked and allowed coolant to just pour out. Hopefully this was a recent problem and not a long term issue. In addition, I found a severed coolant temp sensor wire and an old belt busted tucked under the coolant reservoir. A repair wire will resolve this.
Turbo does not have any axial play and from a quick look shows no history of eating anything. Will look closer again.
While I wait on replacement parts, including an OEM radiator, I will tackle the timing belt job and inspect BEB's.

IMG_5025.jpeg

IMG_5026.jpeg

IMG_5013.jpeg

IMG_5017.jpeg

IMG_5020.jpeg

No heater valve - they likely had a leak on the front heater core and bypassed it or the valve plastic failed and they bypassed it. I will do a pressure test on the core from engine bay to determine if it's leaking or not. Good eye!

Usually they need doing about the same time as the radiator. If you're doing the timing belt, consider doing the turbo water feed hoses - access is easy while you have the timing belt and cam seal plate thing off.

Usually they need doing about the same time as the radiator. If you're doing the timing belt, consider doing the turbo water feed hoses - access is easy while you have the timing belt and cam seal plate thing off.
I appreciate the tip! Added those to the cart before checking out.
Made some progress today but need to get a 2 leg puller to get the cam gear off. My 3 leg pullers just don't fit. The removed timing belt looked very good. Engine must have been maintained per intervals.
IMG_5040.jpeg

IMG_5042.jpeg

IMG_5047.jpeg

IMG_5049.jpeg

Last edited:
I tried a steering wheel puller to get the cam gear off and it worked just fine.
Old water pump removed and surrounding areas cleaned. New oem pump and gasket installed. Waiting on coolant lines and a few small parts.
OEM radiator part number 16400-17031 waiting for installation.

IMG_5053.jpeg

IMG_5058.jpeg

IMG_5061.jpeg

IMG_5063.jpeg

IMG_5068.jpeg

Finished the timing belt job. No issues.
Started on the coolant hose replacement and ran into some things that need to be address. One is the bypass pipe which is pressed into the block. Still available. Anyone have tips for removing it with engine still in vehicle?
Also the heater supply pipe to both front and rear cores needs to be replaced. Does not look like its available anymore.
Removed the #1 cylinder BEB. Not bad. #3 markings. Will order a full set.

IMG_5139.jpeg

coolant bypass pipe that is pressed into the block. Should be replaced.
IMG_5135.jpeg

IMG_5145.jpeg

IMG_5152.jpeg

IMG_5154.jpeg

The water inlet at the back of the block is a bitch to get to with the block in the engine bay.

You can try tapping it out with a pointed punch, but it’s tough.

Putting a new one in is also not easy with the engine in the truck.
As much as I want to avoid doing it, I just can’t. I’ll give your suggestions a try and do my best.
Any suggestions on the coolant pipe after heater valve? Anything available from other models that could work?
Nice photos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom