Anyone try WoolWax yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you really want to go wild, strip it to the frame and galvanize, like East Coast Rovers does. :)

Now who can we get to grind all the sh#t off the frame before spraying.

Now who can we get to grind all the sh#t off the frame before spraying.
All part of the service. Of course, the guy footing the bill is usually paying 100 grand plus for other things as well. So there’s that.

This is awesome
Thanks Bob will place an order for woolwax

I am a huge fan of fluid film and have been singing its praises here on mud.

I love the idea of a thicker coat but have had great luck with repeated heavy applications. My garage where I get my truck inspected raved about it and asked how I did it. They offered me a job.

I will have to share this heavier formulation.

Thanks for supporting mud community with this discount
John

That's an excellent question (that I don't have an answer to). I will go to Home Depot (but really Harbor freight, shhh) and pick one up this weekend. I will let you know on Monday morning. If it works I will get a short video.
So I have a couple of questions about all this stuff. I just found out I will be moving to Utah at the end of this month and having never lived in a snowy climate, let alone one that salts the roads, I am very freaked out about my two cruisers vs salt. I have read that some people apply one to twice a year, does this stuff stay on that long? Do people cost the engine bay?

I have read that in the winter you should wash you undercarriage about every ten days, would this stuff wash off with that frequency? Or if you use woolwax of ff are you supposed to not wash your undercarriage.

So I have a couple of questions about all this stuff. I just found out I will be moving to Utah at the end of this month and having never lived in a snowy climate, let alone one that salts the roads, I am very freaked out about my two cruisers vs salt. I have read that some people apply one to twice a year, does this stuff stay on that long? Do people cost the engine bay?

I have read that in the winter you should wash you undercarriage about every ten days, would this stuff wash off with that frequency? Or if you use woolwax of ff are you supposed to not wash your undercarriage.

I will tell you what I have learned from our Undercoaters. This is just one mans humble opinion, as I am not an authority on auto undercoating. I have been using and selling woolgrease products for a very long time.
In the protected areas (doors, frame rails, etc.) Woolwax will last for years. In the exposed areas of the undercarriage one application of Woolwax® will generally get you through the season. Of course this depends on how much road slush your area has and how often the vehicle is used. On my own vehicle I tend you give it a mid-season touch-up if I get a decent weather day in Jan/Feb.
High pressure undercarriage washing will wash off some of the coating. I do rinse mine with a regular hose if I get a decent warm day in the winter.
RE: Coating the engine bay. Woolwax® has a flash point of about 400°F. But lanolin breaks down fairly quickly when exposed to heat. A lot of marine mechanics coat the entire power-head of outboards and inboards to protect it from the salt. Over the years I do not recall hearing anyone coat the engine itself on a vehicle.

I’ve got a cheap LVLP gun from HF that I plan on using for spraying our deck and fence. It says it can spray up to maple syrup or honey like consistency with tip changes. I’ll be getting some of this soon!

I've been using Fluid Film for a number of years now. Every October before the snow flies I coat the entire underside from tip to tail with pneumatic paint sprayer. I shoot everything and everywhere. I go through about 2/3 of a gallon for an 80 Series.

It will smoke for a while as it burns off the exhaust and cats and that smells pretty bad, but it doesn't last too long.
I daily drive my Lexus and it gets hosed off whenever I get a chance. Fluid Film does not just "wash off" with a garden hose.

Get the extension wand for the spray cans. I run that through the frame rails, body panels, sill drains, every nook and cranny, etc.
Spray cans are good for the hard to reach places and spot treatments.

I still have an unopened gallon of Fluid Film from my last order, but I'll give the Wool Wax a shot too.

I've been using Fluid Film for a number of years now. Every October before the snow flies I coat the entire underside from tip to tail with pneumatic paint sprayer. I shoot everything and everywhere. I go through about 2/3 of a gallon for an 80 Series.

It will smoke for a while as it burns off the exhaust and cats and that smells pretty bad, but it doesn't last too long.
I daily drive my Lexus and it gets hosed off whenever I get a chance. Fluid Film does not just "wash off" with a garden hose.

Get the extension wand for the spray cans. I run that through the frame rails, body panels, sill drains, every nook and cranny, etc.
Spray cans are good for the hard to reach places and spot treatments.

I still have an unopened gallon of Fluid Film from my last order, but I'll give the Wool Wax a shot too.

So, auto car washes don't pose a significant threat on the treatment?

So, auto car washes don't pose a significant threat on the treatment?
Hard to say, as my LX450 doesn't really fit into any of the local joints around here. I hand wash the exterior and the underside gets very thoroughly hosed off when I get a chance.
In my experience an automated car wash just gives a quick spray to the underside. I'm not really sure it actually does anything at all. Exterior washing has no effect on the rest of the vehicle.

As an added note, I like the paint sprayer I use because it really atomizes the Fluid Film so it literally gets everywhere. If you think about what happens when driving on salt/brine covered roads, that crap atomizes and flows everywhere that air can enter.
I remove the front corner marker light housings and use the extension wand and a spray can to reach all the way into the fenders and the other secret hiding places.

Been meaning to pull the trigger on FF for a while but sounds like woolwax is better for my needs anyway!

I don't have air tools at my current house. Have you tried application with any of the electric HVLP guns?

Ok Wompom. Sorry for the delay but I got the inexpensive $19.95 electric hvlp gun from Harbor Freight and gave it a go with Woolwax® straight from the drum, unheated. I have to say that I was surprised that the gun did well. Better than any of us expected. It atomized the thick Woolwax® into a nice fan spray. The distance was surprising also (12"-18").

youtube

Huge Fan of Fluid Film here. I spray all my Yotas with it Annually. It has literally saved them from being eaten alive. Drilled Holes with Step bit in rockers and door frames. 1/2" Hole fits the tip of Astro Sprayer. They sell plugs too.
Wear junk clothes or tyvek suit. Wrap Exhaust in Newspaper and tape if you don't want to have to burn it off. FF stinks for a bit, but I relate the smell with no rust. If your doing 1st time hit flaky rust with wire brush. The Hobo Freight gun looks like it would be excellent if you did not have compressor and wanted to cover large area. Make sure you get it in all the nooks and crannies. You do not need a lot, as you only need the air barrier to keep oxygen from the steel. I'm not opposed to Wool Wax one bit and appreciate the info, but I bought my last gallon of FF for $45. I heat mine in double boiler on my wood stove. I have 2 quart jugs and one heats while other is applied. Also make sure you get it on all the brake line connections and Brake backer plates. Black plugs can be taken out in rockers, and it's best to drop spare. Open up inside where jack goes and do it too, but remember grease can now get on your stuff. If you work on Chassis just respray anything new unlike a sealing sealer which is nearly impossible to remove.

Bought the 5 gal kit to do a few 80's and my new Duramax. Initial reaction is great, no sheep smell and it stayed where sprayed. The only negative was dumping the Woolwax from the bucket to the spray canister.

L4Df3cQqd_tAahfPk1X4e9xh3T_sv6Q9K14K8QVqVKvTjeB1XvA1q7oWG6_5h9NEc3GLLTv4ic9m69JSWIm6RuFaQC0w4zLRRVuTDfVtKFVsiuej1lTHEt33RcTtes17EH7X0_x6wW22U-DgNX_xYTZ55oXu8w9ipbBcjbNM82ZRX_6liYWkzSH7vAXUsdHN83AO4hcIGbiWQTHuCXiluP1pPXoWpE7nGKbAHTnrV0f7GIA7Kvii5eL29O9Vx-qitV-ITkFxK3iSPKHpx5Cb7tfTfQRFjoziv9qIZlPJuiogmp112QcqcLp4e90fQDuGHQMmOiFyJ2YI-KOdfi3KsBAc3qpx8gn7qkHhhliT_Nj2artCfvKbmkGHr46D0O4Q3x5LT62MMG3QqoRYeyjs2sLZW7mL2ZoLGJgkfZLrgpH1AjrIbHco6u7tM-Ip-NB2JCY8TthVNXXW957bmr0g8eDWI8cbDbTihLEd4flE4HXZyIjEflZee4wWXJuJrtQqQK7mGkWwxqIgh113JmkcpRQegD4ZeesqPhRV13DMsE8gGyh30MuBKt1rOdJB4pVT9TwgtQ6_c0kc_0d9le4KG782lU48mQ8xz8g34Dz8xrzGm8gUOzXGFkzIdiZ-sSvXuG9DZcJdoCI-FeLx10rzvkjmfTEFrWo=w1222-h1628-no
KKDNEAl5nPbtFPgzMZ_TuEbd6aGFX0t-P3WvMKNbnZqN3KSUWLoVUr8Q1XCEi-PYKMu5AlN-Rgq1TmfGDlTyDWfLZ96zHpXw8BA1tbv4JsrazKtbkd57EPR-6C1pUP60eYemKgzlGJvKBXZ_PULGHz4QSIatUSVbCIKrO-C_bJmTyOeLLkXP9jWW2UFtY2Cr8uYNlS_7w5azY45NAHfWOWZPiRBuh8FwP_RFgEryqufjNxwemJGe7spjbQV6IYWDWGwJuachkf0OmsQ61lPK7JI_SXCEjPJDYVz4ufk2yStGgaCKdWxqapF9qlrGe4Ko2cEMe7sy_fQm0nlrEPQdBVLb7xVY_7Gv0gZzdoIcb1Eifj0-OF3tQuDOUWM4bqmy2lJMFlTlRTOjnou2KUtUZ5O73K8uDfwURdv0Xkw9MXcur3l1KZl-zTMxlhpJFSipNf4gZJG3JXsgBxNMPvkFGkRsFfyD_FXGwV3qfJoP3dM4RqQx290lo2t5eVG2oqGbdedxrIh-WT1NXeKb3Inp9z2kT7g_HS7TMzpu8JApzIPr4KMIzndVwP61fYBb_ApqSlht3oQphNt5FZMNXWdTwrtVpyoURWAKQuchvjoisoqyhErnStyWZ57tpFYwZSg5NGLwSaddANRydneQle0ohb1QeCeLkZM=w1222-h1628-no
t9CG70klUMRy1GWKGVs6xcWRPtqFZUdddwL-O_itIi5yEsgW0zAcVpojifU65Vy86n7sb_UU_3OIFgf5R5EIan48b_4Bb2wGRU4WtKGxSD_RrXohiz2IIN9C1AIixybsnv9wGf73rE4a4efXyNxSarxN4OzMrJ8f2Ye0aBIm3QK_S-AowlcwDizm0frI9OPx49NkaX6LfURKOGaK_3iVV7oPkJCfBYCogNm_IzJZtokeJhTAnK9AQz-S1O_8cOxjl4kTUK0zOgDdoN-zh9u2nsJd_rWspv7ujkR2sRDCuu9RlO05BG7KTDzL3oc27tlWoU873g61K9zF0FhlL5RWLR-QnfmzIZ9HmYP2qykp1oj18_kz7wfNpzRUB_mDEkeJgWlctEgrHTZSN2w5aKI7C_AwBu76Pv73MRIwE2gQbK4AZguZ7Hlde7XJkmRIEEUto6SDX09Kk0Zv8UYNg-qxfhUMCXko0oGIyHvsmGttu7WEYFuYjqodULWS--EkZEZ3b9mcsF09NlWwxiYfqPasnYPDbXs0Md3tox_rW4H8vvckrEFhEQEA_r1tmR7TvuBz-pgLW6FnG4QZIoeQl54DYRlTywA7pFzi4lW2GjN7aMYiPYw7ombI6E7UNDhhfc_X45BpvqD_KWA2Xmib0Izy9ncn3CrR8UE=w1222-h1628-no

If you've never lived in a snowy climate where the roads are salted, it will probably freak you out a little when you get to Utah and experience your first winter. But it's not nearly as bad as you may think. Definitely not as gnarly as what the guys in the Northeast deal with in terms of rust. My Cruiser has spent it's entire life in Utah and Colorado (mostly Utah) and for the most part the undercarriage is pretty clean. I have a rusty spot in my driverside rocker panel but that developed before I got the truck because of water not draining properly from the sunroof area which drains into the rockers.

FF or this Woolwax is probably still a good idea and would help, but don't go into panic mode when you move to Utah. Just keep the truck clean when you can and you'll be alright.

Ok Wompom. Sorry for the delay but I got the inexpensive $19.95 electric hvlp gun from Harbor Freight and gave it a go with Woolwax® straight from the drum, unheated. I have to say that I was surprised that the gun did well. Better than any of us expected. It atomized the thick Woolwax® into a nice fan spray. The distance was surprising also (12"-18").

youtube

I am going to pick one of those up at HF next time I am up there. This looks better than the one I have been using and at ten years old, it's not as good as it used to be. Air is good, but there is a use for electric guns like this. Sorta how there is a use for both air staplers and electric staplers and doing it by hand in some cases. I have yet to find a sprayer that works well upside down, but a good slather brush will get the job done.

Bought the 5 gal kit to do a few 80's and my new Duramax. Initial reaction is great, no sheep smell and it stayed where sprayed. The only negative was dumping the Woolwax from the bucket to the spray canister.

L4Df3cQqd_tAahfPk1X4e9xh3T_sv6Q9K14K8QVqVKvTjeB1XvA1q7oWG6_5h9NEc3GLLTv4ic9m69JSWIm6RuFaQC0w4zLRRVuTDfVtKFVsiuej1lTHEt33RcTtes17EH7X0_x6wW22U-DgNX_xYTZ55oXu8w9ipbBcjbNM82ZRX_6liYWkzSH7vAXUsdHN83AO4hcIGbiWQTHuCXiluP1pPXoWpE7nGKbAHTnrV0f7GIA7Kvii5eL29O9Vx-qitV-ITkFxK3iSPKHpx5Cb7tfTfQRFjoziv9qIZlPJuiogmp112QcqcLp4e90fQDuGHQMmOiFyJ2YI-KOdfi3KsBAc3qpx8gn7qkHhhliT_Nj2artCfvKbmkGHr46D0O4Q3x5LT62MMG3QqoRYeyjs2sLZW7mL2ZoLGJgkfZLrgpH1AjrIbHco6u7tM-Ip-NB2JCY8TthVNXXW957bmr0g8eDWI8cbDbTihLEd4flE4HXZyIjEflZee4wWXJuJrtQqQK7mGkWwxqIgh113JmkcpRQegD4ZeesqPhRV13DMsE8gGyh30MuBKt1rOdJB4pVT9TwgtQ6_c0kc_0d9le4KG782lU48mQ8xz8g34Dz8xrzGm8gUOzXGFkzIdiZ-sSvXuG9DZcJdoCI-FeLx10rzvkjmfTEFrWo=w1222-h1628-no
KKDNEAl5nPbtFPgzMZ_TuEbd6aGFX0t-P3WvMKNbnZqN3KSUWLoVUr8Q1XCEi-PYKMu5AlN-Rgq1TmfGDlTyDWfLZ96zHpXw8BA1tbv4JsrazKtbkd57EPR-6C1pUP60eYemKgzlGJvKBXZ_PULGHz4QSIatUSVbCIKrO-C_bJmTyOeLLkXP9jWW2UFtY2Cr8uYNlS_7w5azY45NAHfWOWZPiRBuh8FwP_RFgEryqufjNxwemJGe7spjbQV6IYWDWGwJuachkf0OmsQ61lPK7JI_SXCEjPJDYVz4ufk2yStGgaCKdWxqapF9qlrGe4Ko2cEMe7sy_fQm0nlrEPQdBVLb7xVY_7Gv0gZzdoIcb1Eifj0-OF3tQuDOUWM4bqmy2lJMFlTlRTOjnou2KUtUZ5O73K8uDfwURdv0Xkw9MXcur3l1KZl-zTMxlhpJFSipNf4gZJG3JXsgBxNMPvkFGkRsFfyD_FXGwV3qfJoP3dM4RqQx290lo2t5eVG2oqGbdedxrIh-WT1NXeKb3Inp9z2kT7g_HS7TMzpu8JApzIPr4KMIzndVwP61fYBb_ApqSlht3oQphNt5FZMNXWdTwrtVpyoURWAKQuchvjoisoqyhErnStyWZ57tpFYwZSg5NGLwSaddANRydneQle0ohb1QeCeLkZM=w1222-h1628-no
t9CG70klUMRy1GWKGVs6xcWRPtqFZUdddwL-O_itIi5yEsgW0zAcVpojifU65Vy86n7sb_UU_3OIFgf5R5EIan48b_4Bb2wGRU4WtKGxSD_RrXohiz2IIN9C1AIixybsnv9wGf73rE4a4efXyNxSarxN4OzMrJ8f2Ye0aBIm3QK_S-AowlcwDizm0frI9OPx49NkaX6LfURKOGaK_3iVV7oPkJCfBYCogNm_IzJZtokeJhTAnK9AQz-S1O_8cOxjl4kTUK0zOgDdoN-zh9u2nsJd_rWspv7ujkR2sRDCuu9RlO05BG7KTDzL3oc27tlWoU873g61K9zF0FhlL5RWLR-QnfmzIZ9HmYP2qykp1oj18_kz7wfNpzRUB_mDEkeJgWlctEgrHTZSN2w5aKI7C_AwBu76Pv73MRIwE2gQbK4AZguZ7Hlde7XJkmRIEEUto6SDX09Kk0Zv8UYNg-qxfhUMCXko0oGIyHvsmGttu7WEYFuYjqodULWS--EkZEZ3b9mcsF09NlWwxiYfqPasnYPDbXs0Md3tox_rW4H8vvckrEFhEQEA_r1tmR7TvuBz-pgLW6FnG4QZIoeQl54DYRlTywA7pFzi4lW2GjN7aMYiPYw7ombI6E7UNDhhfc_X45BpvqD_KWA2Xmib0Izy9ncn3CrR8UE=w1222-h1628-no

It looks great. Thank you for sharing the pictures. Transferring from the pail to the quart bottles has always been a pain. We've tried the rotary pumps and similar tools, but never had any success. Autozone has a wide funnel with a larger than normal opening that fits perfectly into our quart bottles. Some people pour from the 5 gallon pail into a gallon bucket and pour out of the gallon can. We have not found an easy way. Thanks again for sharing the images.

autozone funnel.jpg

How about one of these "suction gun" things?
Works pretty well on thick diff oil, even laying on your side under the truck.

I wanted to show a video done today of our Woolwax® in Black. This old pallet jack was sprayed over a month ago and left outside in some heavy rains. It's a broken pallet jack that's in our junk pile in the lot. We were amazed when we checked it today and saw how well the Woolwax® held up. The rain in Massachusetts the past month or so has been really severe.
Woolwax®. Better than all the rest.

I wanted to show a video done today of our Woolwax® in Black. This old pallet jack was sprayed over a month ago and left outside in some heavy rains. It's a broken pallet jack that's in our junk pile in the lot. We were amazed when we checked it today and saw how well the Woolwax® held up. The rain in Massachusetts the past month or so has been really severe.
Woolwax®. Better than all the rest.

what were the pallet jack lift prongs like before getting the black woolwax treatment? rusted, bare metal, painted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom