Anyone try WoolWax yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Twin Ports of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN
Kellsport came out with a new product called WoolWax that is supposedly odor free and comes in two colors.

As most of you know, I am an old fashioned grease monkey and I am always slathering either bar chain oil or Fluid Film on my undergarments as the first stages of my rust reversal school.

I live in the town that AmsOil comes from and they had a nice waxy spray that worked but it would have taken approximately 300 cans to douse the frame and all of the rusty bull**** my truck came with which would probably cost as much as another car.

Anyone tried it yet?

A Toyota focused offroad shop here in KY, Specialty 4WD, uses Woolwax on pretty much everything and Luke sings it's praises pretty regularly. I do recall him saying its thicker than Fluid Film so it tends not to come off as easy.

I use Fluid film on just about every vehicle I own. I swear by that stuff. The fact that I have no rust under my cruiser shows that this stuff works. I live on the east coast where s*** just rusts. Plus most mud etc will not stick which is another benefit. I just hate the way the stuff smells.

Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Bob from Kellsport Products. I checked with the admin before posting here to make sure that I was not breaking any rules. If I can answer any questions about Woolwax®, please let me know. Also, if you do plan on ordering , there is a promotion code right now. for forum members. Use "IH8MUD" at checkout. www.kellsportproducts.com

Fluid Film® and Woolwax® are very similar products, with a few differences.
  • Both made from woolgrease (lanolin) which is an excellent corrosion inhibitor & Lubricant.
  • Both solvent free, safe, non-hazardous, environmentally friendly.
  • Woolwax® has a proprietary process to remove the woolgrease smell which some people do not care for.
  • Woolwax® is formulated to be more viscous (thicker) than Fluid Film®, thereby being more resistant to road-wash. Woolwax® may need to be warmed up in front of a floor heater in cold weather before applying.
  • Both products can be easily sprayed with the "PRO" Undercoating Gun.
We sell both Fluid Film® and Woolwax®, and both are great products. Woolwax® is geared more towards the industrial user, professional undercoaters, or users in areas with heavy amounts of road slush that may want a slightly thicker product for more resistance to wash-off with very little noticeable smell.

Thanks very much !

Hi Bob,

Does WoolWax work as a penetrating fluid similar to Fluid Film? Being a little thicker I would assume it doesn't "flow" quite as well once applied. I work on a lot of medium rusty vehicles and the double benefit of being a rust inhibitor and a penetrating fluid of fluid film was a nice plus for the undercarriage bolts.

Hi Bob,

Does WoolWax work as a penetrating fluid similar to Fluid Film? Being a little thicker I would assume it doesn't "flow" quite as well once applied. I work on a lot of medium rusty vehicles and the double benefit of being a rust inhibitor and a penetrating fluid of fluid film was a nice plus for the undercarriage bolts.
Woolwax creeps and migrates into all the inaccessible areas the same as FF. We actually had a lab test the migration qualities of both products, and Woolwax reached the same level of migration as FF. Although it took a bit longer to get there. They advised us how to demonstrate this using an inclined flat surface and applying both products to show the "race". We will post a video shortly.
You are correct about the penetrating corrosion inhibiting qualities of lanolin/woolgrease (Woolwax). Woolwax will take a bit longer to "get there" than a thin solvent based product (WD). But once there, Woolwax will provide protection for years, where the WD will do it's job and evaporate after hours. All these products have their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Woolwax creeps and migrates into all the inaccessible areas the same as FF. We actually had a lab test the migration qualities of both products, and Woolwax reached the same level of migration as FF. Although it took a bit longer to get there. They advised us how to demonstrate this using an inclined flat surface and applying both products to show the "race". We will post a video shortly.
You are correct about the penetrating corrosion inhibiting qualities of lanolin/woolgrease (Woolwax). Woolwax will take a bit longer to "get there" than a thin solvent based product (WD). But once there, Woolwax will provide protection for years, where the WD will do it's job and evaporate after hours. All these products have their strengths and weaknesses.

Perfect - I will be placing an order later today as I just used the last of my FluidFilm.

I have sprayed about 6 rigs with woolwax here at specialty 4wd. I have done a ton of rigs with fluid film. This is my findings. Fluid film has a stronger odor and woolwax’s odor is less noticeable. Fluid film fills the entire shop with over spray and woolwax doesn’t have any overspray. I use this on my offroad truck to make it easier to clean so I use it a lot. The fluid film washes off very easily. Woolwax takes a lot more time if you want to remove it. That’s a good thing! I would give woolwax a try I think you will be happy. Also dealing with Bob has been a pleasure and the company has been very good to me.

Been meaning to pull the trigger on FF for a while but sounds like woolwax is better for my needs anyway!

I don't have air tools at my current house. Have you tried application with any of the electric HVLP guns?

Been meaning to pull the trigger on FF for a while but sounds like woolwax is better for my needs anyway!

I don't have air tools at my current house. Have you tried application with any of the electric HVLP guns?

That's an excellent question (that I don't have an answer to). I will go to Home Depot (but really Harbor freight, shhh) and pick one up this weekend. I will let you know on Monday morning. If it works I will get a short video.

That's an excellent question (that I don't have an answer to). I will go to Home Depot (but really Harbor freight, shhh) and pick one up this weekend. I will let you know on Monday morning. If it works I will get a short video.

Awesome. Please let me know as i'd likely use a HF cheapo and toss it after as well (unless it was somehow actually cleanable).
One of the things i read about the woolwax vs fluid film was that it dripped a lot less during application.

While i'd plan on laying plastic down underneath my application area is a sloped driveway and i worry about it running down into the drains. I'm gonna have to do it laying on my back under the rig but worry about corrosion in the wet PNW :bang:.

I bet if you heat it up on the stove in a pan or use the pot that a normal, cheapy air sprayer comes with it will spray fine. I don't use my undercoating gun anymore unless I am using it's wand to get into doors, rocker panels, frame holes, etc. It blasts too much out when the oil is warm but the paint gun works stellar, even upside down if there is enough in the pot.

This is the one I use.

I also have this one for the doors and the nooks and crannies. It's a nice tool, but I have never been able to figure out how to make it work without the wand attachments. It seems like it needs too much pressure to work and it just blasts out too much without the wands attached.

Awesome. Please let me know as i'd likely use a HF cheapo and toss it after as well (unless it was somehow actually cleanable).
One of the things i read about the woolwax vs fluid film was that it dripped a lot less during application.

While i'd plan on laying plastic down underneath my application area is a sloped driveway and i worry about it running down into the drains. I'm gonna have to do it laying on my back under the rig but worry about corrosion in the wet PNW :bang:.
You don't need to clean it unless it hardens. FF and bar chain oil just stay in the gun and when you go back even months later, all you need is a fresh pot full.

For heating the Woolwax, the guys in our shop made the Presto pot in the Youtube video below. It works awesome. They bought the electric Presto pot in Walmart for like $25.

For heating the Woolwax, the guys in our shop made the Presto pot in the Youtube video below. It works awesome. They bought the electric Presto pot in Walmart for like $25.
View attachment 1922430

Always cool to see a Wisconsin company get attention! Little known fact... Presto was originally called the National Pressure Cooker Company and after WWII they made a line of all aluminum, fully self contained, boat motors under the name Martin Motors. I have had several of them and they are incredible little machines. A dude named Russ bought the entire factory and all of it's parts and you can still buy pretty much everything to keep one running if you are lucky enough to find one. They are sort of the Land Cruiser of boat motors.

Here is my last one running like a dream at 70 years old.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom