43 frozen cooling system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I very recently imported a Colombian 43 with 2f engine and stock carb/radiator. This is my first lc and it got here a couple of weeks ago. I've had been troubleshooting an idle problem and leaking gas pump the last couple of days when the cold temps arrived in Tennessee. This morning I noticed fluid underneath....looks like it didnt have proper anti-freeze in the cooling system and it froze overnight causing leaks. I am assuming the radiator/hoses are busted, but I was wondering if there is anything else I can do immediately to prevent further damage? Thanks for the advice and for all the info on here. Ive been reading lots of info on idle/carb issues and it's been extremely helpful for a newbie.

If you can't park it somewhere above freezing I would throw a blanket over the hood and put a 100 watt light bulb in the engine compartment somewhere close the oil pan. If it's getting much below freezing might figure a way to add more heat. The engine block has freeze plugs that will expand and pop out. Hopefully that the worse that happened and not a cracked block.

Get it in a warm up then go from there. Just how cold can it get in tennesee haha. You need to see very cold temps for a period of time if its just dipping below freezing might not be too bad. Open the rad see if there is slush in there.

I would repair the leaks and get the proper coolant in the cooling system.

I'd be most concerned about a cracked block. Frost plugs seldom do the job.

Can you get it into a heated garage?

Baring that I'd start it and get it running. As it thaws, look for leaks... I suppose if it's frozen enough the water pump won't turn.

If you can't move it into a heated space... cover it in tarps & or blankets and carefully put a heater under them. Make sure the heater won't get wet as things thaw (stating the obvious but don't want anyone or a 43 to get hurt).

there are freeze plugs in the block and the head. there are also freeze plugs in the block behind the push rod galley cover.
more than likely the radiator is toast, that's the first place that will freeze.
i wouldnt trust that engine for any long drives till all the freeze plugs are examined. even one of the 25mm ones popping out at temp would drain the system in nothing flat.

not surprised at all that a columbian cruiser doesn't have the proper coolant ratio in it.

Thaw it out, then go to your local autoparts store and rent a radiator pressure tester, fill the system and put pressure on the cooling system and look for leaks.

Thanks everyone....I can't get it into a garage tonight. With the current lift and 35s it wont fit in my garage. I have it tarped with a heat lamp on it. The radiator is slush. The only other thing I could think to try would be to get it started and thawed, then try and get anti-freeze in it. What do you think? It was 15 last night and is supposed to be down to 9 tonight.

If the the mission is to get the weak coolant out of the engine ( without attempting to run it ) get a kerosene torpedo heater and a 4 or 5 foot long piece of stove pipe ( that will slide over the discharge end of the heater ) with a right angle elbow on the end your going to point upwards at the oil pan. Thaw it, drain it, etc. probably have it all thawed in 30 minutes. One way to get after it, Bill

Thanks everyone....I can't get it into a garage tonight. With the current lift and 35s it wont fit in my garage. I have it tarped with a heat lamp on it. The radiator is slush. The only other thing I could think to try would be to get it started and thawed, then try and get anti-freeze in it. What do you think? It was 15 last night and is supposed to be down to 9 tonight.

Doing whatever it takes to get it in the garage and preventing further damage would be my first priority. This cold isnt going to let up for awhile. If it sits another night, youll want to start shopping for a new engine.

My '71 froze up at a temperature of -10 to -15 but the only damage was the lower radiator hose burst. When I discovered the problem in the morning, the hose was puking out green slush. I think hoses will burst before a radiator or a freeze plug. BTW "freeze plug" is a misnomer. These are openings that were part of the casting process so I've been told. They may pop out if the coolant freezes but they aren't intended to prevent a cracked block and in most cases won't.

If I were you I'd do as someone suggested and pressure test the system to find any leaks or just use your eyes to check all the radiator and heater hoses. I'd also drain all the coolant that's in there if your temp is above freezing and refill with 50-50 antifreeze-distilled water.

How close on the garage? Few inches, or a lot? Air the tires down to nearly nothing and push it in. 9F will do a number on an engine with no freeze protection.

Unfortunately it is a severe upslope to get into the garage even if I could deflate the tires enough to get it in. I think if I could start it then I might be able to get it in.....otherwise I am going to have to hope the heat lamp is enough.

Throwing blankets, moving pads or anything heavy over the hood, grill and fenders will help hold the heat from your heat lamp where you want it. A metal hood will easily transfer heat, you want something to insulate and slow the heat transfer down.

I would open up the block and radiator drains, and get some heat under it. Great idea to put a bunch of blankets over the hood and fenders. Even one of those animal heat lamp bulbs is better than nothing! Fingers crossed. Make a trip to Harbor frieight for some cheap moving blankets

Quick update this morning......I believe the efforts were successful last night. There was standing fluid around radiator this morning. I ended up adding a heater underneath as recommended with blankets and tarps for insulation. Going to get the roof off today and get it in the garage to thaw then go from there. Also emailed the owner in Colombian and he said that the radiator was flushed before shipping with Texaco orange antifreeze that is only available in Colombia. ??? Maybe the mix was off or it wasn't rated for how cold it got but I know for sure that hoses and the top of the radiator were leaking yesterday when the sun was on it.

Hopefully just a loose clamp or leak. Most parts stores have a antifreeze checker. If you have enough fluid in the rad or expansion tank to suck some up and test it. Maybe you just had a leak and the antifreeze is ok. I think a 50/50 mix is rated to about -50F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom