Builds 88 FJ62 added to the stable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I just couldn't pass it up. I bought this today and brought it home. I am coming over from an FJ40 restoration and got hooked into this. I really like it.

The good: It starts, runs drives and brakes very well. A/c works. It seems to be all original and not hacked up. It has 234K miles. Tranny shifts well, front end has been recently rebuilt. New shocks, new 4wd solenoids. All the smog stuff is still intact and has a new intake boot. One area on the top of the fender has some rust, but otherwise minor surface corrosion and overall I consider it rust free. All OEM glass except front windshield.

The bad: Front bumper bent, front grill a little wacked, needs paint, several oil leaks, dash cracked, front driver seat torn, radio doesnt work (he said he disconnected it because it wouldn't turn off), shifter very sloppy, carpet worn, etc.

Is it supposed to have an electric antenna?

Here are some pictures....being an FJ62 newbie, I hope I didnt miss something like an upside down bezel!

20180307_183622.jpg

20180307_183630.jpg

20180307_183640.jpg

20180307_183651.jpg

20180307_183714.jpg

Nice. I like it! Congrats.......

Two tone! :clap: In my neck of the woods not sure it would meet the rust free designation but where you are I think things are a little different. Looks like a great find enjoy

two tone is awesome! congrats.

pretty sure the electric antenna was standard. welcome to the fancy life of up/down.

and torn driver seat is a required feature. if you find a 62 without a torn driver seat, run away! I looked at a 128k mile 62 a while back with the torn seat. i think they tear around 100k miles even if you don't sit on the seat. japanese easter egg.

looks like the antennae switch is right next to the cig lighter. supposed to be electric if you have power windows and mirrors

Two tone! Best color on a 62, congrats. I'm not well versed on a 62, but I do remember looking at one and an electric antenna is correct. My suggestion would be a "baseline" and go from there

NICE!

Thanks guys. Pictures make the rust look worse than it really is. Nothing more than surface underneath and a couple of areas around the windshield and fender. I cant see any evidence of a respray, just crappy cover up. Hopefully nothing too scary hiding underneath. My plan is to put it up on the lift and give it a good look over. At first glance it looked like the some of the oil was coming from the hose on the oil cooler. I think it is an oil cooler?? It is something covered in oil! I will probably degrease everything and see where all the leaks are. I guess oil pan front and rear seals, rear tranny seal. Get a list together and give @beno some business. He was great to me on the 40.

I am thinking a refurbishment over a complete restoration. Fix everything broken, get it tip top mechanically, and a good factory correct paint job.

Congrats! I just got a new to me 62 also, my new one is a champagne 2 tone. I am curious how much you paid.. just wondering if I paid too much.
Does yours have second row 3 point seat belts?
Your wheels look really good, they usually have some amount of rust on them.

The bezel IS upside down. ;)

Nice truck - lots of potential and it would look so sharp with fresh paint.

Nice truck. Ut has an electric antenna but its a common failure. The toggle switch is on the dash by the cigarette lighter. Replacing them is not too difficult.

Congrats! I just got a new to me 62 also, my new one is a champagne 2 tone. I am curious how much you paid.. just wondering if I paid too much.

PM sent, I dont have the 3 point belts. PO redid the wheels a while back. One is a little rusty but overall pretty presentable.

Starting searching for some parts last night.......lots of stuff NLA or out of stock. This is going to be fun.

'88 was lap belts only in rear and '89 and '90's have shoulder straps I have found......

I had the day off and got some time to start digging in. After about three hours, a case of brake parts cleaner, a couple of cans of degreaser, and a pressure washer I have the the oil and grease cleaned up. What a mess. I drove it around a bit to see if I could see any leaks.

Power steering pump is one place for sure. I also degreased the idler pulley enough to notice it had a lot of play and became noisy. I took of the PS pump, and removed both idler pulleys. I have some bearings and a seal kit ordered for the PS pump.

I quickly realized that the 62 is harder to wrench on than the 40!

Good looking 62 and congratulations!

I have been doing a good bit of reading and searching over the last week. I tore down the front engine area to replace the idler bearings, rebuild the PS pump, new front seal, new timing cover seal. I have decided to replace the water pump all the hoses, including the tranny hoses. They are NLA but a local shop is making them. Radiator is getting cleaned out and checked. It had some crusting around the top of the core, where it looked like it may have been leaking.

I was a little worried about removing the crank nut, but I made a pulley holding tool and the nut came off easily. That was way easier than removing than shroud!

This rig is way harder to wrench on than the Fj40. Why in the world are the radiator top bolts not a captured nut/bolt?? You have to remove the grill, and tease back the A/C condensor to get to the bolts. Crazy. I thought a PO was trying to mess with me, then I found out it was Toyota.

I read where people cut the fan shroud in half to make future work easier, I am considering that. I would weld a couple of L brackets to bolt it together or use some rivnuts. I was beginning to think the rig was built around the fan shroud.

I have some parts ordered, carpet from @dnp, and I received a note from SMS fabrics that they are going to have the exact fabric for the FJ62 available in several weeks! I have a long way to go, but it is all starting to make sense now. My plan is to get it mechanically solid, then it will be ready to paint. After paint, then move to interior.

My homemade tool and other shots:

20180311_131035 (1).jpg

20180311_133038.jpg

20180310_154245.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom