FJ43 buyers guide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking at a SA FJ43 from 1973. I know a bit about 40s but I have next to no info on the differences, other than the longer chassis/wheelbase on a 43. What are some things I should look out for?

I’m considering an earlier one, pre-75 bc of the simplicity, all metal doors, and better steel. That said, I’m looking for advice or resources on finding the right one.

Cheers,

Sawyer

you probably won't find a South American 43 with original paint. I have never seen one. We have a lot of 43's come up through Miami.
They were ALL work trucks. Look for frame damage behind motor mounts and spring hangers.

Also, 43's ride terrible since they have the same springs as 45's.

you probably won't find a South American 43 with original paint. I have never seen one. We have a lot of 43's come up through Miami.
They were ALL work trucks. Look for frame damage behind motor mounts and spring hangers.

Also, 43's ride terrible since they have the same springs as 45's.
Good to know. The one I'm looking at SEEMS to be the original paint, but I'll get more confirmation. I'm considering flying down regardless to do an inspection. I'm not too worried about ride quality just yet. Nothing OME can't fix

Good to know. The one I'm looking at SEEMS to be the original paint, but I'll get more confirmation. I'm considering flying down regardless to do an inspection. I'm not too worried about ride quality just yet. Nothing OME can't fix

An OME kit is also a 45 spring. So they also ride really hard.

@youngmanchego

Imho buy the latest ones, 1982/1983/1984 with original ; powersteering, disc brakes up front, airconditioning and drive it !

easily solved with removing a couple of leafs though?

Just went through this on a HZJ75 here. Pulled two leaves which i would say made a 25% improvement, ride height dropped about an inch. Any more and it would be in a squat. And still pretty harsh compared to a normal 40 or 70 series though.
Im probably going to link the rear of my 45.

Just went through this on a HZJ75 here. Pulled two leaves which i would say made a 25% improvement, ride height dropped about an inch. Any more and it would be in a squat. And still pretty harsh compared to a normal 40 or 70 series though.
Im probably going to link the rear of my 45.
Dang that’s wild it’s still so rough. What do you mean link?

@youngmanchego

Imho buy the latest ones, 1982/1983/1984 with original ; powersteering, disc brakes up front, airconditioning and drive it !
When you put it that way I’m tempted. Really into the earlier builds tho. Tougher bones IMO. Also having a blast doing my 60 PS conversion on the 40 I’m about to sell, so I’d have no probs doing it again

The 43 has the longer leafs of a 45, at least in the rear, but there's no reason they couldn't be made in the correct spring rate for your application. Plus you have the advantage of a longer wheelbase, and the better weight distribution that comes with that. Idk how it will ride factory, but there is potential. I think my BJ44 handles decent (for being such a simple and tough design).

easily solved with removing a couple of leafs though?
Perhaps parabolic leaf springs could do better.
They are now available for the 40-Series.

The 43 has the longer leafs of a 45, at least in the rear, but there's no reason they couldn't be made in the correct spring rate for your application. Plus you have the advantage of a longer wheelbase, and the better weight distribution that comes with that. Idk how it will ride factory, but there is potential. I think my BJ44 handles decent (for being such a simple and tough design).

Yes custom leafs from a company like Alcan/Deaver/Atlas etc that are closer in spring rate to a regular 40 rear spring could probably be great.
My opinion is any off-the-shelf springs are going to be way to stiff on a 43. And I have rode in all of them, OME, Dobinsons, Iron Man…
And I’ve driven a lot of 43’s

Guess I don't understand, my 65 FJ45 rides nicer then any FJ40 or FJ25 I have had owned over the last fifty years. Still has the original springs. I have never re arched the springs in the 28 years since I bought. Same with my FJ62 I had since 1993. Those I had re arched twenty years ago.
IMG_2978.JPG
IMG_20180821_165336001.jpg
I have some 84 HJ47RV heavy duty rear springs I bought off of a wrecked one from Australia. I figured would never have another opportunity to find a set local and cheap. Those would be way to stiff with no load in the bed. Believe they more than double what a pre 8/80 FJ40 rear spring. Also have a set of HJ61V spring off a JDM cruiser. Bought those for the same reason. Back in the 1990s I picked up a large lot of cruisers parts including a couple of FJ40s. One of those 40s had brand new Rancho springs. Those only have three leafs pre spring. Those would ride stiff and probably best for an off road only rock crawler. Using old worn OEM springs are a popular choice on a spring over conversion. Springs, shocks and tire rating play big in ride quality.

Longer wheel base generally have a smoother ride. Have a few newer Toyota 4X4 SUVs but those do not have leaf springs for a apples to apples comparison.

Guess I don't understand, my 65 FJ45 rides nicer then any FJ40 or FJ25 I have had owned over the last fifty years. Still has the original springs. I have never re arched the springs in the 28 years since I bought. Same with my FJ62 I had since 1993. Those I had re arched twenty years ago.
I have some 84 HJ47RV heavy duty rear springs I bought off of a wrecked one from Australia. I figured would never have another opportunity to find a set local and cheap. Those would be way to stiff with no load in the bed. Believe they more than double what a pre 8/80 FJ40 rear spring. Also have a set of HJ61V spring off a JDM cruiser. Bought those for the same reason. Back in the 1990s I picked up a large lot of cruisers parts including a couple of FJ40s. One of those 40s had brand new Rancho springs. Those only have three leafs pre spring. Those would ride stiff and probably best for an off road only rock crawler. Using old worn OEM springs are a popular choice on a spring over conversion. Springs, shocks and tire rating play big in ride quality.

Longer wheel base generally have a smoother ride. Have a few newer Toyota 4X4 SUVs but those do not have leaf springs for a apples to apples comparison.

The earlier 45's have a much lighter spring pack then later. Not sure when the change was. I need to compare the springs on my 67 45 and my 78 45, both are original rear springs. Pretty much any 43 OP is going to be looking at will be from South America and probably be later model which have the heavier springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom