Cooling system rebuild 74 fj40 f1.5 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright winter is approaching and I really need to get coolant in my engine. I need advice on a few things on how yall would about dealing with them. My cooling system is original down to the original pump that still surprisingly still works and doesn't leak at all. The barring is shot and has play in it but doesn't leak. Now to the real issue is my cooling system is very rusty from many years as an offroad 40 with strait water. How do I go about cleaning all that rust out of the water jackets? It's a long shot but I could fill it with evaporust and let it sit over night drain it and flush with distilled water a few times, then put coolent in? I also want to upgrade to a clutch fan and double wide pully setup. I know I need a pump and I believe the 75 and up are interchangeable if only an extra port or two. I need the crank pully as well. And of course all new hoses. Is there anything else I'm missing parts wise?

First thing I would do is to pull the hoses off the rad, stick the hose pipe in the top hose, and blast water through it until it runs clear.
Try again from the heater hoses, and flush out as much as you can from the block, rad, and heater, before progressing to chemicals.

Dont forget about the block drain near the oil pressure sender. My '74 1.5F was clogged and needed a good coat hanger treatment. Yours probably does too.

My 1.5F already has two grooves on the pulley One of the pulley grooves is smaller, but i run an aternator on one side and power steering on the other without modifying the crank or water pump pulleys. I can get you belt numbers if you need.

Dont forget about the block drain near the oil pressure sender. My '74 1.5F was clogged and needed a good coat hanger treatment. Yours probably does too.

My 1.5F already has two grooves on the pulley One of the pulley grooves is smaller, but i run an aternator on one side and power steering on the other without modifying the crank or water pump pulleys. I can get you belt numbers if you need.
Mine has the same, but I'm wanting to go to the newer 75 and up pullys and belts as I don't have stock accessories on my engine. I have a gm alternator and powersteering pump. Both with the larger grooves. I'm also going to put the fan shroud back on but I may need the newer shroud I don't know if they are different on the clutch fans.

16974901094324919957842797596368.jpg
16974901685006932174246915521865.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom