Builds 1973 FJ 40 Build,Vortec,NV4500,Atlas,Diamond (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Worked on CAD design for crossmember. With my drivetrain, NV4500 & Atlas, the Atlas is clocked all the way down right now, later when I get the weight on suspension I hope I can clock it back up, but now it hangs below frame a bit which I don't like.

Am I out to lunch on this? Looks to me like it's the only way I can get a crossmember in there, and can add some protection below as well.
View attachment 1699655 View attachment 1699656 View attachment 1699657 View attachment 1699659

with this design of crossmember what would you use for the mount cushion? i like your design.

On the advice of several Mud members, I've changed my plans on the X member for tranny.

My first attempt was to keep things above the bottom of the frame. With the NV4500/Atlas combo I just think I'm going to have to accept a bit lower in order to incorporate a vibe mount and for a better multipurpose X member. I can incorporate both the NV mount as well as additional Atlas support in a cleaner design with skid plate as well, all in one.

So I'm now planning to use this mount: Energy Suspension 3.1158 - Transmission Mount - Short. Energy Suspension ENE-3.1158G along with some Energy Suspension bushings for attachment at the frame rails.

So this means the main support member that it will attach to is lower. But I'll then incorporate the Atlas support/skid plate. The consensus for the Atlas support is to bolt to the lower bolts on the Atlas, pick some or all of those bolts with a fabbed plate using longer bolts.

The only question that remains in my mind is whether or not to figure out another vibration type mount at the Atlas as well. Thoughts?

Yet another option!

Has anyone ever poured their own polyurethane for mounts? It seems to me that I could keep my X member profile from being too tall this way, in other words, keeping it from being below the lower frame rails, at least as much as possible, a custom poly mount.

Surface prep: Surface preparation for Bonding using Epoxy and Urethane

The idea would be something like this:

IMG_0844.jpg

Man I wonder what everyone does for mocking up axle shackle angles. With only the spring hanger end tacked and weight on rig and using clamps to try to figure it out, all I can say is :bang::bang::bang::bang: It's just not easy, have to clamp at an arbitrary position, put the weight on, check the angle, and do it all over again if it's not right, moving the spring mount just a tad bit.

I know I want 4˚ for caster and the pinion needs to be up about 10˚, caster and pinion angle is easy enough but with a SR the angle at which the perches sit is critical it seems. I have to tell Diamond what I want. The best I can figure is that the perches would be at about 10˚ down toward the rear of rig.

High Angle wants pinion at 2˚ below the DS slope(normal weight on rig). It's so easy to get different angles each time I try as careful as I can be.

Anyone know how close it all needs to be?

Last edited:
Great idea on the reverse leafs, thanks! I do have the truck sitting on my old axles, kind of a hokey set up but...I just sat the truck on top of the axle, but of course it sits on the passenger side U bolt bracket, so not real accurate. I guess I could cut that off and try again, but it would still sit on the slope of the diff. I've got spring hanger ends tacked and using clamps on shackle hanger ends

I've seen the through the frame shackle idea. Might have to.

Do you know some average heights of SOA rigs?

This is how I supported the NV4500/Orion on my truck. It has worked very well and it doesn't hang too low. I spaced the OEM skid plate down 1-1/2" and run that, but I do intend to build a heavier skid plate at some point. I run a poly transmission mount similar to what you show.

IMG_0883.JPG

On the advice of several Mud members, I've changed my plans on the X member for tranny.

My first attempt was to keep things above the bottom of the frame. With the NV4500/Atlas combo I just think I'm going to have to accept a bit lower in order to incorporate a vibe mount and for a better multipurpose X member. I can incorporate both the NV mount as well as additional Atlas support in a cleaner design with skid plate as well, all in one.

So I'm now planning to use this mount: Energy Suspension 3.1158 - Transmission Mount - Short. Energy Suspension ENE-3.1158G along with some Energy Suspension bushings for attachment at the frame rails.

So this means the main support member that it will attach to is lower. But I'll then incorporate the Atlas support/skid plate. The consensus for the Atlas support is to bolt to the lower bolts on the Atlas, pick some or all of those bolts with a fabbed plate using longer bolts.

The only question that remains in my mind is whether or not to figure out another vibration type mount at the Atlas as well. Thoughts?

This is how I supported the NV4500/Orion on my truck. It has worked very well and it doesn't hang too low. I spaced the OEM skid plate down 1-1/2" and run that, but I do intend to build a heavier skid plate at some point. I run a poly transmission mount similar to what you show.

View attachment 1769501

I'm liking the clean simplicity of that. Is it ½"? And how did you bend it so nicely? I've seen way heavier builds for x members, but this also seems like it would have just a bit of desirable flex maybe? Plus the distance across is pretty short as well so probably plenty stiff.

Last edited:
It's actually 5/8" x 2 solid bar. At the time I just wanted to guarantee that it would be strong enough and planned to make a lighter version in the future. It's just cut and welded, being careful to bevel all sides to ensure I got sufficient penetration. As it happens, it has done the job very well through some pretty abusive use and I haven't taken the time to make a new one. The angle hangers on the frame are through-bolted with pipe welded through the frame and I have actually shimmed the crossmember down about 3/16" from that original position by adding simple flatbar spacers between the hanger and the crossmember.

I'm liking the clean simplicity of that. Is it ½"? And how did you bend it so nicely? I've seen way heavier builds for x members, but this also seems like it would have just a bit of desirable flex maybe? Plus the distance across is pretty short as well so probably plenty stiff.

Yes, I'm still alive and working on this thing:clap:

Caster at +4˚, Housing at 10˚, the pic shows 11 but I had it built to 10, probably just my measuring devices off a little bit.

Question for anyone seeing this:

On the spring and shackle hangers, they will be new Ruffstuff. Which leaves me with an option I'm considering regarding cruiser lean. Of course this is not a stock build, has a Vortec and Atlas. But assuming cruiser lean will still be present, what about trimming down the passenger side perch to fit tight to the axle, as well as the shackle hanger mount as close as possible to the frame but leave the driver side alone, resulting in ⅜"-½" higher on driver side? Opinions? Stupid?

You can see on the perch pic that theres plenty of space to cut it down tight to the axle

IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom