Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMO yes the fenders could be modified

the tail lights on the denmark look like original... maybe email them? however they are really clean

I had also found these pics of a 1960 rk45 that again show a plate under the rear.... i bet the plate didnt have a light either... like these

also in the rk45 looks like they had used the clam shell heater as well as the cruisers.... however the clam shell is somewhat rare to find (one on ebay now for 2500$+)... and box heaters are common... and you can still get them and or find the older ones

1960_rk45_13_b.jpg
1960_rk45_11_b.jpg

Last edited:
  1. The most fun question - what color?!
I like two tone .... not solid... a somewhat bold color to go with the white
  1. It appears to me that from the firewall forward it's all the same as the FJ25. What are the differences between an FJ25 and an FJ40 forward of the firewall, aside from the grill?
yes same as 25 .... there are quite a few differences from a 40... fender bolts with only 3 scresws to the fender .... not 4 hole placements different.... and they are beafier lol
  1. The headlights and bezels are in pretty rough shape, one of the bezels can probably be saved. Any source for these or will we probably have to have one made?
the bezel i had seen willys bezels used... and looks genuine or at least closest you'll find easily
  1. The rear license plate bracket and light are missing, it's got a tail light and some home fab bracket on there now. Since this is on the GIFU side of the truck I guess I can do whatever but if anybody has any idea of what it should look like let me know. I haven't seen any 28 pictures of the rear. Otherwise we will probably use a 1960 bracket and light.
i will see what other pics i got of the tail area and see if anything could have been or even a pic of one
  1. I'm hoping we can save the front fenders and aprons, they're mangled a bit but may be salvageable. If not, are those fenders the same as a 1960 FJ40?
no .... see above
  1. Any good source for weather stripping on the windshield? Weather stripping windshield?
IDK lol

1. What kind of heater (if any) did the FJ25 have up front?
early cruisers used box heaters... before it was a factory thing.... see this thread: Early Box Heaters

1. I'm quite certain the bench seats in this truck are not original. I'm thinking the front seat I'll model after the FJ25, and the rear bench after the FJ45LV. However I'm wondering if the rear bench in this one was fixed - unlike the LV which flipped forward on a front hinge. Reason being that there's that cage in back. Thoughts? Fabbing a fixed one would certainly be simpler. Any ideas on building/sourcing the FJ25 front bench?
may be original.... and just reupolstered .... dig into it will tell if the frames are at least original most likely
  1. What did the FJ25's have for an inspection lamp socket (if any) and where was it located? Was there a vader light (I hope not!)?
IDK
  1. What did the FJ25's have for a tool kit or tool box, and where was it located?
located under the seat.... the tool box is able to find these days... and there is a repro for the tool roll... they came with either one depending

I also need a name for her, any suggestions?
Gertrude .... why? IDK looks like one :)

1960 would be 4-bolt fenders. 1959 was the last year for three bolt. There’s not much difference between these fenders and an early 40 fender besides the lack of turn signals and some mounting holes.

inspection lamp sockets on 25’s were on the firewall below the glovebox like on other early cruisers.

I don’t see the rear plate bracket in your pics, but I remember looking at it in the auction pics. It may be original but the lamp is definitely not.

Last edited:
I can't get enough of all those old ads...

Thanks guys, maybe I'm in luck on the fenders then that it's a 60. Turn signal and mounting holes can be filled/modified if necessary. Admittedly I'm getting way ahead of myself though, I really need to get this thing home and start getting into it. Sounds like I won't be able to until Wednesday unfortunately but I'll do my best to get a bunch of pictures up right away when I do. Guessing we take the next month or so to research, make a list of what we need, then start taking her apart and hope for the best / expect the worst.

Here's the picture of the rear from the listing. I remember looking behind the plate and thinking it looked odd, but maybe you're right could be original. With these Gifu bodies, you kind of never know what's original unless you've got a few others to compare it to. I guess that's good and bad. Bad that I don't have much documentation to go off of, but good so nobody can say I did it wrong ;) I think we'll go with majority rules on a lot of that stuff.

I need to find one of those Happ 355 heaters, $2500 for the clamshell! yikes!!

237252_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

237252_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

the tail lights on the denmark look like original... maybe email them? however they are really clean

The tail lights on the Denmark example look like a front bib light and a ‘65 ish rear brake light. I doubt it’s original. To the best of my knowledge all early 25/40/45 rear tail lights of that era we a single unit with a red lense that served the function of running lights, brakes and turn signal. Not sure they would have been too separate units like on the Denmark example. I imagine they original lights for your 28 much more resemble that of an LV.

Last edited:
This is a really valuable picture. If you zoom in you can get a lot of info.
  • shows you what that cage should look like. Looks like maybe there’s some mesh or something on the bottom too?
  • I think you’re right. Tail lights are hard to see from the door but they are poking out a little and look circular. I don’t really like the amber signal lights though, would prefer a combination light
  • Also appears it had the same Gifu mud flaps as the 45LV

19DBAE8A-300A-4D39-88BC-66E622B15D53.jpeg

7957B4E8-019F-4B02-B125-AC8B4C231BDC.png

A1A2003B-13F2-4520-90CE-DB690B2CA048.png

@ClemsonCruiser

Your right ... I looked at them quick

I do see his tail lights are the same spot and round as the one of the 28’s I posted earlier and in line with his size

You’re right Jonny I missed that, crazy how they went from to the trapezoid, rectangle shaped ones on the 35/45

Those turn signals do come up for sale ... Apollo’s come up now and again

Jonny your are a Land Cruiser Encyclopedia:beer:

You guys are awesome. Keep an eye out for me. I’m not going to stress if I never find some but finding that kind of stuff is what makes this fun! Were they only on land cruisers? If I were to set up an alert on eBay what would be my keywords?

Thanks Johnny. I’m thinking about going the tool roll beneath the driver route that my LV has with the tool kit, unless I get in there and find evidence that it had a box at some point. I feel like the LV is my best template for the stuff on the interior if I can’t find any pictures since Gifu did it. But who knows once we get the paint stripped we may see evidence that they had tool boxes... those do seem reasonably easy to come by.

fortunately over the years I’ve collected an entire early style tool roll so that’s one less thing I’ve got to find if that’s the direction it goes.

I think you have a service compartment in the back of the 28... a box in the floor ... at least it seemed like it at quick look at your rear floor

At least it was that was on early 43’ Cruiser that showed up once

Probably fit a tool roll nicely back there

Btw is 400-700 too much for the Apollo’s?

I have no idea what an FJ28 wagon rear plate bracket is supposed to look like. But the bracket on your truck sure looks like an FJ25 bracket so it’s likely original.

in regard to the heater: I wouldn’t bother installing one unless you plan on driving it in the winter. They were installed at the port or dealer as an option and not installed from the factory.

Considering how difficult the Apollo’s are to find 400-700 probably isn’t too much...

Yes there are a couple of little doors in the floor of the 28 in the rear, I wasn’t sure what those were for. Will see if the roll would fit back there good idea.

@Splangy you’re probably right on the heater. I get a little excited trying to get the parts together before a restoration but since that was just a dealer option and I live in Phoenix a heater is probably something I shouldnt distract myself with!

I would LOVE to see many pictures of your new baby and of the compartments

You can see the compartment here on the 43 that I’m talking about:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom