Another 25 Alive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up this 1960 FJ25 a little over a year ago. It's a factory hard top with original (matching numbers) drivetrain and is number 124 on the list. I've been picking away at it over the last year during the times I get bored with working on the 1962 FJ40 (should have been done a year ago). I finally got it road worthy and have been enjoying all sorts of funny looks! I figured this is a good time to finally start a thread on it. The plan is to drive it like is for a few years while I build my LV and slowly pick away at it some more.

So far I've done the following to the old girl to get her on the road:

Tires
Shocks
Brake Hoses
Brake shoes relined
Drums turned
Master, slave, wheel cylinders rebuilt
Tune up
New hoses and clamps
Changed all fluids
Made some crappy seat covers
Rechromed most of the bling
Repaired rear plate bracket and light (thanks Jim!)
Replaced all lights
Added electric wipers for now (using hole already in dash from dealer installed heater)
Replaced transmission tunnel and made new shifter boot. (TY Jim)

Probably much more that I can't think of now. I'm in the process of installing new spring and shackle bushings this week. So much fun removing 55 year old bushings!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434113511.526472.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434113529.525958.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434113549.176014.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434113559.846917.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Did the hardtop come with it?

Yea, but the fiberglass was ruined. I have another early fiberglass cap for it but it's kinda rough, too. That's why I took it off for now.

I noticed the rear diff was whining last night and found some slop in the pinion flange. I dropped the driveshaft and found the pinion but loose. Tightened back up with new cotter pin and all is well. Just took her for another drive and no more whine. Now I need to do something about this leaky, noisy, stubborn transmission...

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I also changed the water pump with one I found in Oz. I grabbed a couple at the time because shipping was just as much as the parts. There's one on ebay right now (not mine, and not where I got mine) in case anybody needs one. I know you want to keep the lower steel radiator hose tube and not use a pump from a later F!

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I also changed the water pump with one I found in Oz. I grabbed a couple at the time because shipping was just as much as the parts. There's one on ebay right now in case anybody needs one. I know you want to keep the lower steel radiator hose tube and not use a pump from a later F!

I too bought a aftermarket pump out of AUS from eBay (from a different vendor at a higher price!) for the same reason---solely to maintain the correct angle of connection between the pump and the hard pipe. On some things, compromise is unacceptable.

Question though, are the "guts" so to speak---shaft, seals, impeller, etc. or at minimum the seals---in the later (read: downward-bent-inlet and readily available) pumps interchangeable with the earliest pumps? Making disassembling both and swapping out the internals a viable alternative?

(Edited for geo-political correctness.)

Last edited:
Roger that. Thank you.

Between restoring the '62 and all of your other stuff, you have definitely got it going on. Props.

This 25 is a fine looking machine.

O, o, water pumps? I know I don't have the original water pump. It is shiny black and in good condition. Don't have a pic here. Are there pics available of old and new pumps? I would like to check if I have the right one....

Nice! I like it! Good going!

excited to see the old girl come alive! Subscribed!! Slow and steady wins the race (at least that"s what i keep telling myself:))

I'm going to rebuild the transmission this week. Anybody know if the FJ25 With F135 uses the same clutch parts as the FJ40 with 3 speed? IIRC, the parts manuals specify a different clutch disk part number, but the pressure plate and throw-out bearing were the same.

Chevy disc, the pressure plate, throwout arm and pivot are specific to the 25 so don't mix with your 40 stuff. Going by memory here, there should be an old thread around, likewise on the tranny. Best way to buy the bearings is a chevy kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom