What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (56 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fabricated custom bracelets to mount a 2003-2006 Tj bench seat.
IMG_6210.jpeg
IMG_6216.jpeg

Painted the hinges and frame since they were raw metal.
IMG_6224.jpeg

IMG_6228.jpeg
Paint job wasn’t perfect but it’ll never see the light of day again.
IMG_6229.jpeg

When tumbled forward it just touches the back of the driver’s seat. The seat lifts out with a pull of a lever. It’s about the best fitting bench seat I’ve seen… short of a custom seat made from scratch.

IMG_6230.jpeg
IMG_6192.jpeg

In progress picture but it shows the space well. Brackets weren’t installed yet.
IMG_6227.jpeg
upholstery came off easily so I painted the raw metal.
IMG_6215.jpeg

The seat is spring loaded so it should stay tipped forward.
IMG_6202.jpeg

In progress while fabricating the brackets.

POROSITY!
A bit… not enough to cause an issue. The solid rod goes all the way through and is welded on both sides. Since the metal was very clean I believe I wasn’t running quite enough shielding gas.

A bit… not enough to cause an issue. The solid rod goes all the way through and is welded on both sides. Since the metal was very clean I believe I wasn’t running quite enough shielding gas.

It’s usually the shielding gas.

More flow rate needed!

One of my 40s has the lean. Decades ago b4 the internet and running a 4" skyjacker lift, i got tired of looking at the lean. I took a ton of measurements resulting in no solutions. So, i decided to swap rear springs from side to side. To my surprise, that didn't work. Later, I found out about the Toyota leveling pads and thought lowering the high side was nutz. Why would anybody want to lower the vehicle? I ended up making a longer shackle. Lowering the shackle frame mount might work too and not be as noticeable.

Mine looks similar and it is perfectly normal. As long as the paint is applied thick enough there shouldn’t be any concerns with sanding and buffing out the orange peel as long as you are wet sanding. I have 4 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear that I will be wet sanding this summer.

View attachment 3564928

View attachment 3564929
You can see that I shot the side of the hood a little thick. It is wet enough to have a deep shine from other angles so I’m fairly confident that the orange peel will sand/buff out.
I had put on 2 heavy coats - single stage epoxy. I was concerned about going through but only had one small area in the rear where I went into the primer. Mostly due to carelessness: got two close to the edge of the rear window. Fortunately, I think it will be cover by the window gasket

I am surprised you have any paint left after all that! Is yours "two toned"? Beige on the outside and blue interior?
It’s all one color - supposed to be capri blue (it was color matched from the original color. The garage lighting makes it look completely different depending on the angle - everything from silver to green

I had put on 2 heavy coats - single stage epoxy. I was concerned about going through but only had one small area in the rear where I went into the primer. Mostly due to carelessness: got two close to the edge of the rear window. Fortunately, I think it will be cover by the window gasket
Those corners are tricky! Your efforts are paying off as it looks beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom