What is this?? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was poking around the engine this weekend connecting a new ground wire from the battery to the fender and another from the block to the frame, and I found this. I have a sbc 350 in my FJ40 and this was wedged between the back of the alternator and the passenger side valve cover. I never saw it before since it sits under the AC lines. It was not connected to anything. There are two wires coming out of the back, one of the spring loops goes between the two wires. The wires go into a wire loom and heads to the fire wall.

Is this some kind of sensor left over from the original Toyota engine?

The wiring in the rig is a complete mess.

Thanks
DM3

20240324_144701.jpg

Looks and sounds like a capacitor. Could be used to reduce ripple in the charging system and or static in the radio.

You should look at the wiring diagram for your year/market and look for something that has those 2 wire colors.

So I assume it is not connected if it is switched on the dash, because the truck will over heat if I don't turn the switch on.
You could be right. Some people, who envision water crossing, will wire a switch in to turn the fan off from the comfort of the driver seat. I’m not saying that is what you have, just a possibility

So I stopped by the local hot rod shop this morning, who if familiar with my two toys. He believes it is a sensor that was part of the original Toyota engine and not part of the SBC engine. Since it was wrapped into the existing wire loom, they just left it.

Since the wiring is a total mess, I will be removing the loom protection cover and the electrical tape on all the wires in the engine compartment. Hopefully this will solve the mystery, and also the problem of my loss in voltage between the battery and the coil.

I decided to chase more abandoned wires today and found that 'sensor' in the engine was attached to this under the dash.

What is the other thing?

I pulled out 30 feet to unconnected wiring today, what a mess.

20240330_154419.jpg

20240330_154430.jpg

That looks like a CB radio cable antenna connection, would have a round hole like 1/8". If it has a like a 1/8" square inside drive it could be a speedo sensor for like cruise control.

I decided to chase more abandoned wires today and found that 'sensor' in the engine was attached to this under the dash.

What is the other thing?

I pulled out 30 feet to unconnected wiring today, what a mess.
I have a bucket full of wiring that I removed. Sounds like you're going in the right direction :)
Looks like an RF connector to me. CB or police radio - where did it come from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom