Wish List - FJ 40 - What you would have done if you got to rebuild a 40 all over again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hate to say it, but the wildly expensive Scheelmann seats are worth it. 5 days of trails, I was more sore climbing out of my Ford pickup than I was the 40.
I've been low key searching for a cheap, easy solution over the last couple of weeks. After a couple of weeks of a ski conditioning workout I've been doing, not having to climb into my 40 and sit at a fixed position would be great! Some days I can hardly climb in!

I hate to say it, but the wildly expensive Scheelmann seats are worth it. 5 days of trails, I was more sore climbing out of my Ford pickup than I was the 40.
@ $1,900 ea, I'm going to say that ain't gonna happen in my 40!

If I could do it again on my rebuild, I would have relocated the under seat fuel tank elsewhere. Maybe the S10 fuel tank between the frame rails under the cab.

That would open up the options for different seats.

Maybe lockers?

I probably would shoot some sort of the fancy insulation-sound proofing stuff on the body before everything got bolted back in.

On board air.

A second battery and associated electrical.

Spend a little more time on the details of the build when I had the chance, better prep work on the primer, paint stage.

Plan out holes, weld up all the ones that aren't necessary.

I'm sure there's more.

To do it all over again...
1. I'd have started with something with a better body and a full hard top.
2. Saginaw Power Steering (again).
3. Paid a shop to do my Spring Over rather than doing it myself.
4. H55F with split case and done that back when the t-case mounted parking brakes weren't unobtanium (or ridiculously expensive).
5. Taken that $500 complete 70 series full floater, despite it having 5 lug wheel pattern, and putting it under my FJ40 (I'd have either modded the 5 lug hubs, or bought new 80 series hubs, or bought new front hubs and modified them to 5 lug).
6. Sniper Fuel Injection.

I've been low key searching for a cheap, easy solution over the last couple of weeks. After a couple of weeks of a ski conditioning workout I've been doing, not having to climb into my 40 and sit at a fixed position would be great! Some days I can hardly climb in!

Are you still running stock seats Ryan? I can't remember.

I thought the Procar 90 seats I put in mine were a vast improvement in long-range comfort. And they recline, though I don't think there is s heated option.

They go on sale at Summit, Jegs, etc. at least once per year it seems like. Jegs has free shipping right now:
Procar Pro90 Series 1300 Seats - JEGS - https://www.jegs.com/p/Scat/Procar-Pro90-Series-1300-Seats/1068352/10002/-1

IMG_1335.JPG

I thought the Procar 90 seats I put in mine were a vast improvement in long-range comfort. And they recline, though I don't think there is s heated option.

They go on sale at Summit, Jegs, etc. at least once per year it seems like. Jegs has free shipping right now:
Procar Pro90 Series 1300 Seats - JEGS - https://www.jegs.com/p/Scat/Procar-Pro90-Series-1300-Seats/1068352/10002/-1

View attachment 3504573
Yeah, I'm still running the stock seats in mine. The Procar Rally seats have caught attention, looks like several people here are running them with no complaints. Although they don't have an option for seat heaters.

I put 1998 (I think) Solara (sp?) seats in the 1975, ... recline and are very comfortable. Little bit higher than stock and I believe they could be rigged for heaters. Got 'em from a local junkyard.

I did a complete body off and made too nice for it's intended purpose. Now I don't want to drive it down an alder choked road and get the Oregon pin stripes. I love the spring over, 2UZ and H55. Need 4.88 gears and lockers, should have done that when the axles were all apart. Better planning in the beginning would have saved a lot of time and effort. Plan it all out first.

Better, more comfortable seats that recline, and that are heated.

After driving along for hours scouting trout streams on nasty roads, it would be really nice if the seats were a little more comfortable and adjustable. Cruising to the mountain to ski all winter, having some additional heat to keep warm, now that's top shelf stuff right there.
Sounds like you need one of them-there Arctic thermostats. There is a Toyota part number for that….90916-03014, doesn’t open until 180, fully open at 203…..
Bet that’ll keep you warm….just don’t use it when the weather warms up….

After driving along for hours scouting trout streams on nasty roads, it would be really nice if the seats were a little more comfortable and adjustable. Cruising to the mountain to ski all winter, having some additional heat to keep warm, now that's top shelf stuff right there.
Sounds like you need one of them-there Arctic thermostats. There is a Toyota part number for that….90916-03014, doesn’t open until 180, fully open at 203…..
Bet that’ll keep you warm….just don’t use it when the weather warms up.

Bet that’ll keep you warm….just don’t use it when the weather warms up….
Not sure that would help, front and rear heaters blowing on high the whole way back from the mountain, after a long day of skiing the Cruiser is cold no matter how you cut it. Especially when it's below zero outside. Once I get down in the valley where the temperature is in the upper 20's or better it is fine, it's just those upper roads and cold temps that are hard to beat.

Edit-I should mention that the temp gauge runs steady at 190*F.

Last edited:
Waited for internet to come around and joined IH8MUD.
Did mine before all that.
Yep, I also remember a time when all I had to keep the old girl running was a year old SOR catalog and whatever I could get from the adds in “Off-Road and 4WD” magazine……when I bought the 40, still using DOS 2 (maybe 3). There was no internet….and Toyota was one of the ‘Ferin’ jobs….(LOL).

picked up a set of leather subaru outback seats from a salvage vehicle for $150. Both heated, power drivers seat. Found an upholstery spray paint that worked quite well to give me the color I wanted (do need to touch up once every year or 2). It did take a small amount of refitting to work perfectly.

To start over:
Good Frame
Good tub
4 wheel disc brakes
Mark's off Road Aux fuel tank
Tuffy Console
TJ rear bench seat
dual lockers
2.5" lift
33x10.50 tires
Con-Fer 4'x5' roof rack
onboard air
8274 Winch
Scout II power steering
100+ amp alternator

Last edited:

View attachment 3504573
These were the best stockish seat for the money I could find and am very happy with them, did a few 12 hour days and have spent several full days on the trail this past year with no complaints.

I would imagine that you could add heat with one of the kits available aftermarket fairly easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom