What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (51 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Removed the hood insulation as it was pretty deteriorated and see that the hood braces have come loose in a few spots. What kind of epoxy should I use to secure them?

Not epoxy. The panel needs to be able to flex. you need something that has some "give".
I would suggest taking it to a local collision shop, explain the situation and have them sell you a tube of whatever they recommend.

Good info, thanks.

Proved I need sliders

Also took it wheeling for the first time ever.

20220311_125242.jpg
20220311_125353.jpg
20220311_132402.jpg

The first look at your pic of the rocker I thought yout T-case cross member was lose on one side!

It is.
It's actually the fiberglass skid plate bit

I set that frame rail on a rock. It sheared both bolt heads off. I'll drill them out and put new ones in.

Last edited:
My 80 is a 94 and did not come with a hitch or roof rack from the factor. It has 168k miles so I decided to throw a hitch, wire it to receive the Curt Echo Bluetooth e-brakes to pull my pup. Traveled about 700 round trip to test it out and do a couple days fishing. Was real slow going and bit boring drive. I usually tow the pup with my 2011 FJC which does waaaay better at towing. But bottom line is I need a pickup to tow more comfortable. Suffice to say I won’t tow with the 80 again. Not worth it.
View attachment 2944706
Hey LockedCollector,

I also have same yr 80 and a popup camper. Have taken it maybe 200 miles round trip with no issue doing 70 at times forgetting I was hauling it around. How loaded were you ? I've also done some shorter trips again with no prob keeping up.

@LockedCollector @fguil80s

Nice to see other 80 drivers towing popups around. We've pulled our roughly 3k lb popup thousands of miles the last few Summers including travel to the Great Lakes and Rocky Mountains from the E TN home base so are pretty used to the setup at this point.

While it's not a great tow rig compared to many I've driven in the past it does fine in terms of speed and handling East of the MS. Altitude, long grades and steady headwinds slow us down a good bit when we get out West but the setup still felt safe in terms of maintaining traffic speeds. If we were towing out West more I'd be considering a different tow rig but for our primarily East Coast travel we enjoy the 80 and plan to keep it.

20210623_195512.jpg

FWIW, I have a Prinsu (similar construction as the Bowfin using the same extruded crossbars) and I've had 5 adult men standing on my rack at the same time to watch some racing. I was the lightest weight at 180Lbs, everyone else over 200lbs and I'm sure more than one of us were standing on the crossbars. No issues.

That said, I've seen the DVS racks up close and they are incredibly strong. I'm confident that it's stronger than the Prinsu/Bowfin in terms of total load capacity.
That's some good info. Mostly I just want to hang out up top sometime and enjoy a higher status when enjoying the outdoors. I am sure it can handle it. Thanks

Hey LockedCollector,

I also have same yr 80 and a popup camper. Have taken it maybe 200 miles round trip with no issue doing 70 at times forgetting I was hauling it around. How loaded were you ? I've also done some shorter trips again with no prob keeping up.
I figure that on that trip I had about 4000 lb loaded, with a tongue weight of about 10%. Intentionally packed everything I could to test it out (max water, propane, firewood). Just didn’t feel right, a bit strained actually, even on the way back after using all the water, firewood, ice, drinks and food. I am running 295x75x16s that for sure also impacts the power. What tires are you running when pulling the pup?

Front 4Runner big brakes and braided brake hose installed 😎
5DB2A835-292A-438B-8F25-4AF4CC48E9CB.jpeg

6D6D0EE7-2B16-4F4E-8527-E8CB18AEA2E0.jpeg

F31F7741-A5E2-4124-BBF3-3EBF08408138.jpeg

Because I need more clearance inside brake disk for my central tire inflation setup, I use cone cutted bolts M12x1.25 25 mm length.
0620FD7D-3729-4425-9435-FDC26DBD436C.jpeg
9CA2BA02-3C0F-499A-A578-3AF136D4C747.jpeg

Last edited:
Not the weekend but was hoping to put these in this weekend….just got them back from the shop that pressed in Dobinsons 2.5 degree bushings but does it look right???View attachment 2934037
cruiser? Bushings in the bottom arm look crooked. If you install them with one of them being crooked it will ruin the bushings.

I figure that on that trip I had about 4000 lb loaded, with a tongue weight of about 10%. Intentionally packed everything I could to test it out (max water, propane, firewood). Just didn’t feel right, a bit strained actually, even on the way back after using all the water, firewood, ice, drinks and food. I am running 295x75x16s that for sure also impacts the power. What tires are you running when pulling the pup?
Oh wow, that makes sense I guess. I doubt I had nearly as much stuff as you did. My pup doesn't have restroom but I typically carry 2-3 of those 5 gal water jugs and only 1 propane tank. Firewood and food go in the back of cruiser. I run 285/75r16 Falken AT and have about 380,XXX miles (my odo stopped working at 364,XXX and the one i replaced with says 193,XXX now).

@LockedCollector @fguil80s

Nice to see other 80 drivers towing popups around. We've pulled our roughly 3k lb popup thousands of miles the last few Summers including travel to the Great Lakes and Rocky Mountains from the E TN home base so are pretty used to the setup at this point.

While it's not a great tow rig compared to many I've driven in the past it does fine in terms of speed and handling East of the MS. Altitude, long grades and steady headwinds slow us down a good bit when we get out West but the setup still felt safe in terms of maintaining traffic speeds. If we were towing out West more I'd be considering a different tow rig but for our primarily East Coast travel we enjoy the 80 and plan to keep it.

View attachment 2949871
D270F72E-CC64-46FC-B899-5ABB34D9BBD2.jpeg

Cool I have the same rooftop bullet! I love that thing. Unfortunately I need to tweak my 80 roof rack to carry it on top. When I pull it with the FJC I needed to install weight distribution system to prevent from squatting as seen here. With the 80 the Ironman 2.5” performance springs is good enough to bear the weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom