6BT Cummins 12v swap into 80 series FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's not just the engine, it's mostly how it's put in. It can be an excellent result or it can be pretty terrible. Depends on the approach.

I feel it makes a great vehicle. Toyota diesels don't do much for me.

As a general overview, yes, a 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins fits great in an 80 series. No, it's not too much weight, no it's not too much torque. yes, you should keep your 80 series AWD, no it doesn't effect fuel mileage. You can't really just use Dodge parts and put it in. There's lots of things needed to make it work well from accessory mounts, tach drive, motor mounts, intercooler, exhaust, air filter and wiring. It's all been done hundreds of times.

I daily a '97 with a P-pump 12 valve if you have any questions feel free to message me.

It's not just the engine, it's mostly how it's put in. It can be an excellent result or it can be pretty terrible. Depends on the approach.

I feel it makes a great vehicle. Toyota diesels don't do much for me.

As a general overview, yes, a 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins fits great in an 80 series. No, it's not too much weight, no it's not too much torque. yes, you should keep your 80 series AWD, no it doesn't effect fuel mileage. You can't really just use Dodge parts and put it in. There's lots of things needed to make it work well from accessory mounts, tach drive, motor mounts, intercooler, exhaust, air filter and wiring. It's all been done hundreds of times.

I daily a '97 with a P-pump 12 valve if you have any questions feel free to message me.
This particular 6BT is out of a totaled Ram 1500. So yeah. I just feel like the straight 6 is a bit gutless (Especially on my new tires) and I’ve always been interested in a diesel swap.

If you got an itch, scratch it! Regardless of what others say, dive in and spend coupla years getting it dialed in, then enjoy it. It's been done plenty on this board. A search will reveal lots of info on this conversion.

This particular 6BT is out of a totaled Ram 1500. So yeah. I just feel like the straight 6 is a bit gutless (Especially on my new tires) and I’ve always been interested in a diesel swap.
Pretty much any turbocharged engine (diesel or otherwise) will perform better at your elevation ~(7200') than a naturally aspirated one.

Personally I'd look into turbocharging the current engine if its a 95+ and in good condition. As much as I enjoy the sound and torque of a diesel I'm glad my cruiser is nice and quiet in comparison. Also when it's cold out (especially below 10F) the cruiser starts right up, a little more effort is required for my truck... (7.3 diesel). I'm not sure if 6BT's are hard to start when cold so this could be a bad example.

1712610521440.png

If your engine is toast and needs replacement then by all means swap it :)

Pretty much any turbocharged engine (diesel or otherwise) will perform better at your elevation ~(7200') than a naturally aspirated one.

Personally I'd look into turbocharging the current engine if its a 95+ and in good condition. As much as I enjoy the sound and torque of a diesel I'm glad my cruiser is nice and quiet in comparison. Also when it's cold out (especially below 10F) the cruiser starts right up, a little more effort is required for my truck... (7.3 diesel). I'm not sure if 6BT's are hard to start when cold so this could be a bad example.

View attachment 3602340
If your engine is toast and needs replacement then by all means swap it :)
Cummins needs the grid heater below single digits. The 12 valve in my superduty starts instantaneously down to freezing. At 10 degrees it takes a full crank rotation and heavy throttle to start without a grid heater, but it still starts pretty good considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom