What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (53 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@LockedCollector 4k is a lot of weight. Your popup looks a little smaller than ours so I assumed it weighed less but looks can be deceiving. Our popup has shower, bathroom, etc. and 2 king beds (what coleman called a king anyway) so is on the heavier side. No slide-out helps the weight a bit and we try to not overpack or haul too much water. We are running 265/75/16s which I'm sure help w power and the 80 has rear air bags that help with balance when really loaded down. Our tekonsha brake controller also works well and the trailer brakes make a big difference on that side.

I can see how 4k and 295s would tip the balance in the wrong direction.

I love the old yak box too, perfect match for the 80 I think and a real asset when we are loaded up. Out West last year I tested moving the box to the camper roof and keeping the 80 roof clear and it made a huge difference with our ability to maintain interstate speeds. We won't run anything on the 80 roof while towing moving forward unless we are on a really short/local trip.

Took the LX to zero in a new red dot on a pistol.
43AAD509-2C97-42F1-ACEC-CDCC622C192D.jpeg

Purchased another carry gun on the way back home.
2BDFDA4B-2CA3-4438-99B8-A068CB7E2876.jpeg

Had a major oil leak due to a punctured oil feed line for my vacuum pump.

Poured some uv dye in the motor oil and found the leak right away
20220304_160739.jpg

Got a good line for the local wreckyard and was able to finaggle it in place, by only unscrewing the power steering pump inlet.

20220307_133445.jpg

New seat heater switches fit like a glove….

and finished up the front seats… (they’re katzkins…before anyone asks)

I thought they turned out pretty good considering it was my first time attempting this type of work.

Next step is to tackle the new carpet…

D1BF4D62-9A99-41BE-80FE-FC2CB8299BF4.jpeg

45BEF01A-EE74-4214-9766-9FAFD8C9ECAB.jpeg

15A804FB-59A6-48DF-B3FC-2F5389F2FC93.jpeg

Installed the recovery points - 20 minutes as advertised
20220312_154203.jpg

... and failed (attempt number three) to fit a dual usb into the existing spot.

20220312_163221.jpg

Last edited:
I think Wits End has the hose for the delete

You are correct but I contacted Joey and they were in bound from Japan and couldn't get a ETA as they have not cleared customs at the time of our conversation.

But I was able to fix it and now back on the road.

This is what I used. No regerts

I have not stood on the rack yet and I am not a light small guy so I do not plan to ever put all my body weight on one bar. My understanding of the bowfin is that the rack is a system and all the load bars in place work together to distribute the weight kind of like a platform of a rooftop tent. I suppose I could check with Patrick, maybe with panels covering multiple bars you could walk on it but I don't think that's something I'd ever want to do.

I was on the fence between the @Delta VS and the bowfin. The bowfin was a surprise gift from my wife. If you've seen my rig, it's obvious I'm a huge Delta fanboy. They have a video of I believe. Dave standing with one foot on one of their crossbars on an 80.

If you're looking for that type of rigidity and strength, I would take a look at the Delta for sure.

I agree the @Delta VS roof rack is built like a tank.

This is what I used. No regerts

I just did the rear heater hose delete. Worked like a champ but it is a bitch getting to the back of the firewall to get the old one off. FYI.....

Got the sheep skins on. My Korean Air buddy recommended them. He does regular ICN-LAX hauls in the A380s. A sheep skin covered seat is a critical part of how he stays comfortable in the office.

They regulate body temp really well. I get up around 5AM most days and the skins give me a bit of warmth and coziness in the cooler mornings. Afternoons heat up quite a bit here in LA and I'm pleasantly surprised how well it stays cool where my cow leather seats struggle.

I never thought I'd rock sheep skins, but it matches well with the vintagey 80. I highly recommend ussheepskins.com.

IMG_0768.jpeg

Got the sheep skins on. My Korean Air buddy recommended them. He does regular ICN-LAX hauls in the A380s. A sheep skin covered seat is a critical part of how he stays comfortable in the office.

They regulate body temp really well. I get up around 5AM most days and the skins give me a bit of warmth and coziness in the cooler mornings. Afternoons heat up quite a bit here in LA and I'm pleasantly surprised how well it stays cool where my cow leather seats struggle.

I never thought I'd rock sheep skins, but it matches well with the vintagey 80. I highly recommend ussheepskins.com.

View attachment 2951485

They look great. I've yet to hear a negative review of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom