General hood refresh and upgrade, because why not (9 Viewers)

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

On the turbo test mule the hood needed to be removed so that I get some engine bay work done. Since the hood was out I figured it would be the ideal time to do a ful; refresh to it. The ONLY thing I didn't do to it is repaint it. Otherwise its a full refresh and modification. This is not a thread about vents and louvers, I'm not convinced its the right way to go so I won't be doing it to this truck.

All of the rubber was removed along with the liner, the one with the turbo exhaust burn :rolleyes:

First step was to thoroughly clean the underside of the hood and then use a wax to get it to shine. Knew that the hood fluttered while driving so knew that the hood's sheet metal separated from the frame so first step was to order up some 3M seal sealer and then order THREE wrong applicators until I finally spring for the 3M applicator for $$$ :rolleyes:

Application was fairly easy. It was just using some plastic pry bars to slightly lift up the frame so that some of the seam sealer could be applied under the frame. Once applied the hood is turned over so that the sheet metal side is up and sets up in its natural state.

IMG_9069.jpeg
IMG_9070.jpeg
IMG_9071.jpeg
IMG_9072.jpeg
IMG_9073.jpeg

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Once that was dried then it was time to replace all of the windshield washer clips and hoses and nozzle head using a 3-nozzle version.

IMG_9099.jpeg
IMG_9101.jpeg

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Then it was time to add hood lights. I have the typical cheapo LED light bar on the SC truck but figured I'd go a different out and go with the BajaDesigns rock lights for under the hood. These are the lights without a switch, didn't need it since I was going a different route. All of the wiring went thru the frame. Both lights were attached using M4 rivnuts and the wires went through a grommet that was drilled is just under the lights. Those two sets of wires were then wired together and tied into two wires going down the frame and popping out the bottom left hand side using a windshield washer hose grommet. From there it was terminated to a MetricPack connector.

IMG_9048.jpeg
IMG_9049.jpeg
IMG_9061.jpeg

IMG_9036.jpeg

IMG_9041.jpeg

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Now it was time to install a brand new OEM hood liner to replace the burned one. The trick here is to order direct from your local dealer because otherwise it gets shipped folded and you don't want that. The new hood liner is actually updated a little bit. Not identical to the older one. Also make sure to order 12 new clips. Cat not included.

IMG_9078.jpeg
IMG_9080.jpeg
IMG_9081.jpeg
IMG_9082.jpeg

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor

I have had the hood liners shipped from the Middle East and they were not folded. Can’t get 70-series hood liners from my local dealership.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

lumbee1

Native American

Is the hood liner really necessary? My hood liner is saturated with oil, mud, and grease and looks like it is more likely to catch fire. I know that if I pull it off, the clips will break but I need to reattach the ribs to the hood skin. Everytime I lift my hood, bits of old seam sealer fall out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)

Top Bottom