Builds Fly By Night (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So went out and screwed off today some more, studying what I have going on with the front suspension and recalling what I was thinking when I designed all the hangers and what I was planning on doing with the springs. As it turns out, what needs to be done isn’t far from where I was. Had to sit there and take some measurements, drink some coffee, and think about things, and it all started coming back. Everything is more or less the opposite of what it was, and what needed to be done springwise before, hasn’t changed much. Made the realization that I ordered the wrong shackles for the front.
So the front hanger bolt is now 2” higher than it was. With the shackles I bought, the lower bolt is only 1/2” lower, and I’m shooting for between 1-1/2” - 2”. So longer shackles in the rear are totally called for.
I made some not to scale drawings to illustrate my point so anyone trying to follow me might more clearly understand. And Bob wants more pictures, so....

First drawing is of what the setup looked like before being hung on the rotisserie.

Second drawing is current.

Third would be with 1” longer shackles.

B3CFE205-3AD6-4259-83C8-73D550EA8F81.jpeg

2BD3A211-A3F8-423A-BCA5-262A411548BC.jpeg

Pillaged some more from the parts 60, including this tilt column. My heart is not set on having it, but would be cool. The emergency flasher switch, headlight switch, and windshield wipers are integrated into the column, which would eliminate the need for the dash switches, making it easier to remodel the center dash section for other purposes, AC vents, Chevy Bel-Aire styling features, etc..
The bucket at the base would need to be refabbed and a more substantial upper mounting system would have to be made. The brown cover plastics would have to be recolored. Probably a fun project for down the road.

04FA63F4-A54A-4097-9CE8-4B43B9668277.jpeg

A902EFF1-D142-4346-9F34-346EE970D08E.jpeg

60F65C7F-B315-478A-8332-47CCE9368FDD.jpeg

F5B08226-E015-4AB4-8A19-B868E07741D9.jpeg

64337CED-1631-40FA-BE2E-5A2A7FCE5E48.jpeg

Last edited:
Now's the time to install that steering column, if you're seriously thinking about it. Down the road you'll already have the dash designed for other stuff and a lot easier getting to the firewall right now. Just in case you ask our opinion, I'm not a fan. I like the look of the old stuff, something about a naked column and a big skinny wheel.

Yeah I like the stock look too, which is one reason why I’m not really diving into it. Another is that there’s already enough on the plate to deal with.
On the other hand, everything else is getting changed, so why the heck not this too?

Just in case you ask our opinion, I'm not a fan. I like the look of the old stuff, something about a naked column and a big skinny wheel.
Not that you asked but if you had I’m with Ron here.

I built a 55 so I can have the driving experience you only get from driving a vintage vehicle. Driver position and ergonomics is everything, if I wanted a modern vehicle I’d just save time and money and buy a 2020 Land Cruiser.

Not that you asked but if you had I’m with Ron here.

I built a 55 so I can have the driving experience you only get from driving a vintage vehicle. Driver position and ergonomics is everything, if I wanted a modern vehicle I’d just save time and money and buy a 2020 Land Cruiser.
Go walk outside and take a look at your dash and your interior then say that again with a straight face.

Go walk outside and take a look at your dash and your interior then say that again with a straight face.
Driver position and ergonomics is everything, dash and gauges in my pig are old school hot rod mechanical style but other than that steering wheel, bench seat and shifter position are all factory Toyota pig.

I agree, ergonomics, driver positioning, functionality, etc... plus it needs to fit the scene. Done some searching, but can’t find any pics of anyone actually doing an install of a 60 tilt column into a 55. If you know of some, I’d love to see them. There’s a possibility of making the appearance fit, just don’t know if it’s worth the trouble.

I did the GM tilt column with the LS....and sometime I wanna figure out how to wire the cruise control... I just need to connect wires I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom