This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hard to be ectastic about acquiring Chris Delancy's prized show pig after the circumstances. However, I think Chris probably approved and was smiling down on me with my shyt eating grin a little while cruising down the highway effortlessly.

Little back story here, as Chris was still doing fairly well in February, he mentioned to me selling his Pig as he felt like it's rust was too much to deal with and he wanted to focus on other projects. WE tried time and time again to meet up and drive it but it never happened and then Chris's condition sadly turned for the worse.

Dallas Livingston owns 4x4 shop in Tulsa and has been helping Chris for years with his rigs. Well, due to his worsening condition Dallas reached out to me to provide updates even though we had never met although I was familiar with him. Turns out Dallas is super nice guy, Chris had spoke about me to Dallas about me in the past and I had purchased a H55 Dallas rebuilt several years ago so he knew a little about me. I finally met and sat with Dallas and his daughter at Chris's service. Can't say enough how nice he is and he has been helping Lori (Chris's wife) ever since he passed. Fixing vehicles getting things reliable for her kids to drive and never charging them a dime for parts or service.

Lori is dealing with Chris's business partner and apparently things have gone south and the partner acting like douchebag. Dallas and I knew Lori wouldn't keep the Pig but I would never in this lifetime broach that topic with a widow. Friday evening Dallas called and Lori had texted him saying she was going to have sell the Pig. He told her what he thought it was worth and I wasn't going to argue the price so I told Dallas it was fair and we would gladly help her. In addition to the Pig he had purchased several parts for it but neither of us know what he has or had. I will go back later this week with enclosed trailer to grab those things. I gave her $5000 for the parts sight unseen and whatever doesn't pertain to the pig I will sell and give back to Lori.

I have read Chris's build thread numerous times. Not sure of the year but Chris met Onur and I in Home depot parking lot when we drove my new BJ42 from Atlanta to Denver. Onur drove first route, I climbed in at Tulsa and drove rest of the route. I dropped Onur off at Robbies shop around Boulder where Chris's pig had arrived a month or two before. I can't recall ever seeing one before but I was in love for sure!

Kim and I met Dallas and Lori with her daughter this morning to pick up the Pig. New battery placed, little cranking and she fired right up. Sad indeed and was tearful moment when Lori thanked us for the help. Oddly, I never wear flip flops, and not even sure why I own a set since I'm piss poor at walking in them. Today, I wore flip flops, Carhart work pants and a T-shirt. In the Pig, Chris had two sets of flip flops, not sure if it was a higher power telling to wear them or what. Lori mentioned that's all Chris like to wear and in some way it just felt appropriate.

Kim and I made a couple stops on way home. Rear window down, tailgate handle is broken to that's going to be interesting. Driver window won't roll up but I still had to spend a couple bucks and washed it on the way home, of course being careful with the windows. Filled her up with some carb cleaner and full tank of real gas. Drove 10 mph down the country roads so as not to kick up any dust and finally got her home little while ago.

Driving test performed and it's unbelievable. I have owned a few cruisers. they all have their own quirks but Robbie and Onur performed some magic on this baby!! With intent of only driving a mile or so and turning around she just wanted to keep driving so I obliged. Transitioned to paved road where the driver's window wasn't rattling so much. Then the real magic when I got on the highway. Headed south and I could totally appreciate Chris's love for this Pig. It is so smooth. stops well, great power and just seems in sync. I'm not ready to take it over 80 but it loves the 55-65mph range. I would have driven it to town but apparently between the wife and I we had $2 so that was out. Going to unload the items out of the back shortly, probably drive it a little more before putting it in shop for the night.

Here's a few pics. The young deer 🦌 around our place were curious. Saw 4 and the pig definitely got their interest.

71606654152__92F24DFA-7871-48BE-95DD-06D1EDDE8A9C.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg

IMG_9926.jpeg

IMG_9929.jpeg

I’ve been pigless for well over a year now as the 69 is at the spa. I’m so lucky to have opportunity to own this and finish what Chris started. Best part is it’s driveable now.

Also have to give thanks for Chris and his beautiful wife for letting Kim and I be a part of this journey. Lori is so sweet and just the nicest person you could ever meet. Her and the wife hit it off and have exchanged some numbers so they can go do things.
IMG_9910.jpeg

IMG_9913.jpeg

IMG_9917.jpeg

IMG_9920.jpeg

IMG_9922.jpeg

Been cleaning out back and
wife just told me we were going to town for dinner. 15 miles to north, probably a sonic or Pizza Hut night which I’m not a big fan of but it’s small town america!

Bob, little bit of your love here!

IMG_9939.jpeg

IMG_9938.jpeg

IMG_9935.jpeg

IMG_9937.jpeg

IMG_9934.jpeg

Pig for dinner!! I’ve been starving to just drive a pig, it’s so satisfying to get to do it again. It’s perfect combo vehicle for our gravel roads and highway to town.

IMG_9940.jpeg

Man! You both must be Smiling 👂🙂❤️👂with a lot of with a lot of sentiment and other feelings! Must be Great 🙂❤️😘👍🍺🐖🐷.
You’re 100% right, I’m beaming with pride right now and so thankful for it. It’s a beautiful evening to drive without a driver side and rear window!!!

Safely back at home after completely uneventful 30 mile round trip. Stopped and vacuumed her out, think Chris may have put some quikcrete or something back there.

Tucked in her new home. She is more memorable in many ways than most cruisers I’ve ever owned.

IMG_9942.jpeg

Looks like some wires for the back window motor are sticking out of the access panel. I hope I can hook up some alligator clips and roll that window up so I can swap the rear handle. Rear key and front switch didn't do anything so its going to be interesting to see what it looks like back there.

Also need to access drivers window to see why its not working. I am guessing Chris has parts in pile I am getting to fix it.

Thinking the fuel gauge wasn't working I put 13 gallons gas in her, then it indicated full. No spare tire and tank looks larger then I remember it looking, gonna have to look at Delancy's thread again about possible gas tank upgrade. I really don't remember anything about it.

Great find and backstory. Been awhile since I last saw VW turn signals on a Pig. I recall exchanging a few messages with Chris when first beginning my Pig journey about 15 years ago.

Great find and backstory. Been awhile since I last saw VW turn signals on a Pig. I recall exchanging a few messages with Chris when first beginning my Pig journey about 15 years ago.
I remember when he was thinking about using them, have to say they are pretty nice!

That was a big discussion whether to use VW or G Wagen lights. VW lights worked on my old 40 as well. Anybody know what happened to Chris's other 55, the rusted out one at the body shop from hell?

It's a good feeling knowing you took over Chris's pig and not only will take care of it, but most of all enjoy it the way he wanted to. :beer:

As far as I know that guy who had the other pig went rogue. Chris wouldn’t say who or where it was and took that to his grave.

Sad, Dallas considering trying to find out who it was to try and make it right. We discussed it last night.

I’m working right now and the rain doesn’t seem to have materialized so I’m planning little pig driving and crawling around it when I get home.

I know when Chris and everyone were kicking those lights around it was hard to place them. Now that I see em it’s a natural update, they just flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom