Builds Zeke, the 1975 Wanderer and DD (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land between the lakes is an awesome place to explore. I haven't been there in decades, so I'm guessing it has more restrictions now, but want to go back sometime.

Land between the lakes is an awesome place to explore. I haven't been there in decades, so I'm guessing it has more restrictions now, but want to go back sometime.
The only restriction I was able to find, is that you can't wheel on posted hiking trails, or in virgin land.

Anywhere a truck has gone before, you are free to go.

Even though it's green laning, most of the roads are in such bad shape, they have become more like trails, if that makes any sense.

So... tires.

Part of me wants so very much to go full idiot with some STA Traxions in 700-15. It'd definitely be the ballsy move.

1643333005844.png

But then I remember that for highway work, radials are a good thing, and am looking at some less expensive 235/75-15R options. Forceum 08 Plus looks like a good cheap mud tire, and they allegedly measure out to 29".

1643332884471.png

These would be pretty cool but I recall reading somewhere that they are not DOT compliant. I haven't tried to verify.

These would be pretty cool but I recall reading somewhere that they are not DOT compliant. I haven't tried to verify.

Right now I'm sticking with the 15s, due to my basic schema of economy. I'd love to find some 16 inch wheels that looked stock and were affordable, as they open up a universe of tire choices.

Last edited:
You probably know this but cityracer has the stock 16” but they aren’t cheap.

By the way I’m down in Franklin TN. I also have a sprung over pig. My 14 and I are working on getting the 2f going but one day it might be getting a Isuzu diesel for the fun of it. If you have the pig calendar there is a picture of him working on it sitting in the engine bay. Enjoying your build!

You probably know this but cityracer has the stock 16” but they aren’t cheap.

By the way I’m down in Franklin TN. I also have a sprung over pig. My 14 and I are working on getting the 2f going but one day it might be getting a Isuzu diesel for the fun of it. If you have the pig calendar there is a picture of him working on it sitting in the engine bay. Enjoying your build!
Yeah, I'm fully aware of cityracers 16" wheels. They are exactly right.

The other option I've found are the 16" trailer wheels with the 3.65" hub holes that need to be hogged out to work.

Franklin seems to collect an inordinate amount of vintage Land Cruisers, that's for sure.

I was heading down there today to play with @Tennessee80 s FJ40 project, but my mom passed away last night, so need to head back to Iowa to settle affairs and attend a funeral, instead.

Sincere condolences and safe travels.

Thanks.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but mom's passing yet again spoke to her character. My mom and dad were both hard people, born to hardscrabble poverty among a community of people who valued self-reliance. Mom lived out by herself in her home, 15 miles away from town and stubbornly stayed there despite having life threatening health issues. She had the money to go to a nice retirement home, and liked it there when she was recuperating from her various health issues, but would flee back to her house each time once she was able.

Yesterday morning, she fell and broke her scapula, (at 89 years old with a known heart condition in -25F weather working outside in the steppes of Northwest freakin' Iowa) and during the X rays and CT scan, they found cancer all over her body. Docs gave her a couple months to live, and she finally (reluctantly) agreed to go to the retirement home. We are convinced she died last night from sheer stubbornness, as she swore she'd never live there.

Dad also went true to his character in 2013. He'd survived Guillame Barre', a major stroke 10 years after that and was hospitalized 10 years after that with Sarcoidosis in a regional hospital 80 miles from home. He hung on for days in this state until the last family member had come to visit him in the hospital (his favorite grand-niece). He not only passed away a few minutes after she arrived, but she was a funeral director, and had driven a hearse to deliver a body to another funeral home, so she was able to transport his body back home. We are convinced he waited to pass then out of stubbornness and the nearly pathological desire to not inconvenience anyone.

Anyway, I got a funeral to plan and attend and a farm to dispose of in the next few. Will post FJ55 stuff when I find the time.

Sounds a lot like my mother, who passed a few years ago at 94. Similar early existence in a small mountain mining town and truly a Depression-era survivor. She was a RN and knew exactly what was going on with her body in her last years. Insisted on remaining in her house though with assistance toward the end. A week before she died she announced "it's time" and had us take her to Hospice.
Sorry for your losses...even when expected it's not easy. Take care of yourself and family.

So.... Day One of settling mom's affairs, met with lawyer.

Spoiler: You know the thing where I was struggling with choosing between Zeke and an FJ40 to be named later? Well... I no longer have to consider that kind of "either/or" decision. I grew up poor as a church mouse. Have no idea dad and mom had managed to recover from the two bankruptcies to the extent they had.

I just might be in the market for a decent FJ40 soon.... You know, to go along with my FJ55.

Need to get Zeke shipshape soon.

We are going to be buying a plot of land, building a new house and a real workshop to wrench on Land Cruisers. Won't have time to wrench on Landcruisers during that time and Zeke will play a big part in the workload.

One of the things I hate about where I live now is trying to either work on cars on a sloped driveway (My kids' 2008 RAV4 fell off jackstands while I was working on it) or trying to work in the cramped garage. Swapped an engine in there, and would not want to do that ever again.

Now, Zeke is leaking oil from the aftermarket seals I used on the side valve cover and oil pan. Like a dumbass I ignored all that advice to go OEM and now I'm paying for it. Ordered some OEM seals and will put those on next.

Trying to find the correct part no. for the side valve cover bolts/screws. Are they still available? I have several that have been snapped off and replaced with hardware store bolts.

Will be picking up the SUA front axle housing from @61twpw a week from Thursday. Really looking forward to meeting another Mudder up close and personal-like.

Then, it's on to Iowa to pick up a children's rolltop desk, an antique anvil and vice, cut out a 1950 Chevy 3100 from a tree, help my older sister go through Dad's stuff, deliver a rifle I built to a customer and replace a broken cross bar on an antique high chair for my Sister In Law. And hopefully have some adventures with Zeke along the way. With any luck, Zeke will keep motoring along as usual. To date, for all the things that have gone wrong with Zeke, he's never left me stranded.

So, where and how much FIPG do others use on their side valve cover and oil pan?

I've heard that a thin coat of FIPG along the bottom run of the side valve cover and in the corners of the oil pan helps. This from various and sundry other threads.

I've also heard about the trick where you use thin threads to hold the gasket in place, cutting only just before final bolt tightening.

Does that sound right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom