Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used zinc weld on the frame after getting it as shiny as I could but yes spaced on putting a coat on the backside of the patch. And I already gave boiled linseed on hand so will opt for that or another aerosol product I caught wind of recently by Amsoil for rust preventive, it’s similar to Krown which is used up in Canada primarily.

There are positives and negatives with regard to the diamond blades. My biggest gripe with them is that I'm not crazy about the "feel" of them. They are really hard and they will try to jump and skip when you are starting a cut. Once you get a slot started, it's fine. On the plus side, less mess, safer, 1000 cut durability and they don't get smaller and smaller as you use them.

Heard from my machine shop yesterday, three calls in an hour actually. His concern is the snout of my crank and the weld I’d done to the key in its keyway. He tried pricing out a new crank and was blown away to find it in the $700-900 range. I chuckled at that! His primary concern was lifted when I told him we could chisel a new keyway 180 degrees out w/o problems. Right off he said “we’d have to put new timing marks on the harmonic balancer” to which I was quick to enlighten him that our trucks have the marks not on the hb but on the flywheel.
Then another call comes through and he had his tool and die guy measure the snout OD and he says is .006” from what it should be and is concerned that if the snout is that out than my hb ID will be too. Luckily again I was able to think fast and told him the hb I have is not original to my crank shaft and it’s ID and the slot are tight and it’s edges sharp and unworn (that’s the only way that’s coming to me to describe it).

I asked him if my journals appeared to be easily ground and polishable? And if there was enough material to make them right again? He said yes.

He still thinks I should seek out another crank although I’m less inclined to feel that I need one and that mine is perfectly salvageable.

Once the key in established and in its keyway, the hb slides onto it and the nut is torqued, the fit is made tight regardless of the snout OD being less than factory. Yes?

I told him I’d reach out regardless so here’s my reaching... @Cruiserdrew Andrew, you mentioned once that you had one you’d send me if I needed... I’ll also tad @CenTXFJ60 Jim because I know you have a plethora of trucks w/ beautiful parts.

So as it stands they are sitting on going forward while I try to source a crank or I suppose I tell him I’d like them to keep going. The main guy, Richie is a bit anxious over my crank so I figured I’d give it a go.

Last edited:
I do have a crank, and I will send it to you, but the shipping would be pretty brutal. I'll estimate $75-$100+. It's a heavy and awkward beast. And I can't get it out to you until the first part of August when I'm home from Alaska, which likely doesn't fit your timeline. But if you still need it then, send me a PM. Hopefully you can locate one closer than 3000 miles away!

And just for the record, if there's any doubt, and it sounds like there is, now is the the time to set things right. So if your machine guy is concerned, it's likely justified. It doesn't sound like he is trying to take advantage here.

Last time I shipped a F crank it was $170-180 I think. Plus there’s the risk of shipping it. I’d say worth the 6-7 hour drive to pick one up from PA if you can. That is if you actually need it.

I have a Crank here in Georgia. Hell i'll meet you halfway, I'm always up for a road trip.
:beer:

I have a Crank here in Georgia. Hell i'll meet you halfway, I'm always up for a road trip.
:beer:
Would love to but my little Nissan isn’t in a place I could trust to a long drive.

Sorry but I can't help with that one. Tom Jurgaliewicz in CT might have something
Never heard the name Gary, how would I find him?
I sent an email to Tom, @Tom2FJ40 but when I wrote it, it tagged differently @shmukster Gary, is that right?

Last edited:
Cleaned up. Moving along.

646A9E7A-3C65-43D2-A74B-9E00EC8C671B.jpeg

E2E7F9E0-C450-4926-93C2-9066D1FD30BD.jpeg

F9054E4E-089B-4641-827F-E77B7F6F2482.jpeg

2514BD7D-5DE2-420C-9A3D-AC15E9C20254.jpeg

There's a couple of small alignment dowels that go in the head-bolt holes at two of the corners... They've been removed for surfacing... If you don't have them already, make sure you get them back from the machinist. Just sayin'. Small bits get lost, easily, particularly at a busy shop.

They chamfered the other bolts holes. They do detail work!

1563992844463.png

Are you going to paint your crank shaft?:rofl:
Yeah and add a plexiglass side cover.... oh wait, that wouldn’t line up. Hey I’m going to pm you. I’ve got a stupid wood project I’ve got going in the works.

There's a couple of small alignment dowels that go in the head-bolt holes at two of the corners... They've been removed for surfacing... If you don't have them already, make sure you get them back from the machinist. Just sayin'. Small bits get lost, easily, particularly at a busy shop.

They chamfered the other bolts holes. They do detail work!

View attachment 2038458
Thank you. I’ll be sure to add that to my list. I’ll fill all you in on details.. a few already know some of the quirky things the two of them have said to me that I’ve pretty much been able to correct pretty quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom