Builds Work In Progress aka: Badass (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if I’m thinking of the TO being something else. I’ll get out to the garage in a bit.

What they are looking like
Left OEM Toyota, Right AISIN. It needs to be removed off the clutch release hub and then pressed back on.

Also do not forget to pick up some moly grease as it is needed in all sorts of places per the FSM.

P1180706.JPG

Last edited:
What they are looking like
Left OEM Toyota, Right AISIN. It needs to be removed off the clutch release hub and then pressed back on.

Also do not forget to pick up some moly grease as it is needed in all sorts of places per the FSM.

View attachment 2007405
Yes that’s what I thought I was thinking of. Thanks!

Mine... need a new boot. Rubber is way too degraded to revitalize.

9DFBEB8C-1716-4A27-9C13-5BE0906F780B.jpeg

90517555-04F2-4E66-8557-C7DB28EF88D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, think toyota still sells that.

Your fork looks good. I picked up a couple of extra clips when I did mine just for the sake of it. give it all a good bath and then replace the bearing and your good to go.

Was showing my son my achievement just now and spotted this first video I’d taken. Figure I want it here since I tend to delete most extras off my phone to lessen storage issues.

What a strange feeling to spin an engine. As you guys know I borrowed the hoist and stand... When I was getting ready last week to get the block on the stand I realized there was no bar to assist me w/ spinning. I took a 6/8” length of 2” exhaust pipe I had cut and banged it in the end of the stand thingy. Then I drilled two holes w/ a unibit (best drill bit ever for making holes) and stuck a broken flathead in it, “thinking” it would be stout enough to use as a bar. Ha! No way.
Last night I got everything off and went to spin it. The flathead was clearly going to snap. Looking around I found a peice of steel rod not quite 1/2” thick about 16” long. Stuck it in and put another stretch of pipe over that and spinning began.
And yes, even after all the wrenching I’ve been doing I’ve still yet to buy some decent gloves!
The air pump/idler puller mount... what an interesting fit around the driver motor mount brace.

946FA10F-3423-43AC-8632-B23158CDB445.jpeg

52D442DF-C351-4771-9258-6B9E9A77CFDF.jpeg

AD572C67-B48F-40D7-90BE-377AA705FB51.jpeg

BD95F818-9A6F-420E-825C-039B40A60A63.jpeg

8273A1BA-4083-4559-A057-0C5E13AF4199.jpeg

Be careful rolling that engine around on the stand esp with those shoes. Once while rolling a 3 wheel stand and engine around the stand wheel caught a crack in the floor and started to teeter over. I was by myself and tried to catch the motor with my thigh. That was the wrong move. Once it decided to start coming over there was nothing I could do to stop it. Luckily it didn't land on my foot or pin me to the floor. Only carnage was a slightly dented new oil pan and my feelings of inadequacy.

Be careful rolling that engine around on the stand esp with those shoes. Once while rolling a 3 wheel stand and engine around the stand wheel caught a crack in the floor and started to teeter over. I was by myself and tried to catch the motor with my thigh. That was the wrong move. Once it decided to start coming over there was nothing I could do to stop it. Luckily it didn't land on my foot or pin me to the floor. Only carnage was a slightly dented new oil pan and my feelings of inadequacy.
I’m well aware of the dumb risks I take... you’ve still not caught on that I stage some photos just for you worry-some men. Esp after seeing @BenjaminCA video of pulling his 40 engine, I know how fast bad stuff can happen. Thank you tho.

Last edited:

Its amazing to me that that long engine can be stuck out there hanging off just a few bolts into the block. But it works.

Its amazing to me that that long engine can be stuck out there hanging off just a few bolts into the block. But it works.
Agreed. I do wish tho I’d arranged the washers different. I think the support should have been closer to the block but it’s where it is for now. Once it’s off and has to go back on I’ll do it wiser.

Kid wanted to help so he watched as I broke loose the main bearing cap bolts (holy crap!) and then I let him pull them all out. Some gentle taps by the hard plastic side of a mallet and the caps let go. Middle bearings definitely in rough shape, ends both decent.
The post lady showed up w/ his iPad Air and that took total precedence.
Got him all set up and headed back out.
Holy crap again, that crank is heavy as FAWK! Tied some fabric around it to use to pull it up to me. And yeah, old lady ugly bra selfie for you all to chuckle at!
Rms looks good. Popped out complete and still pliable.
So the block is a clean slate other than the cam bearings.

A0934A03-9106-4666-A7D8-2144DB1AAC9A.jpeg

C92D359D-42F6-4FFA-83F4-1B539BDB963E.jpeg

783D9B6B-986C-442E-B422-21FC4A9A0A9A.jpeg

EF9D659E-579E-414C-A6F7-57049C9562A6.jpeg

A5A89C6B-778D-46E9-B93A-D99589F4851F.jpeg

Kid wanted to help so he watched as I broke loose the main bearing cap bolts (holy crap!) and then I let him pull them all out. Some gentle taps by the hard plastic side of a mallet and the caps let go. Middle bearings definitely in rough shape, ends both decent.
The post lady showed up w/ his iPad Air and that took total precedence.
Got him all set up and headed back out.
Holy crap again, that crank is heavy as FAWK! Tied some fabric around it to use to pull it up to me. And yeah, old lady ugly bra selfie for you all to chuckle at!
Rms looks good. Popped out complete and still pliable.
So the block is a clean slate other than the cam bearings.

View attachment 2013595

View attachment 2013596

View attachment 2013599

View attachment 2013600

View attachment 2013603

At least the kids shop footwear is closed toe :rolleyes:

In the yin and yang of ladydom isn't
old lady ugly bra
Balanced by cool Mom Tats?

Committed. Now I wait for the pending quote. Ugh.

38F688F4-C24D-40DD-831D-1349947E63DE.jpeg

Btw, LOOK at that chain and the SINGLE bolt the block is suspended from! All my worry pulling it, yes granted there was a few hundred more pounds on it but man, how years of experience makes big tasks so easy peasy.

Looks like a clean and organized shop. That’s a good sign.

They’re very clean and organized. Richie, the shop owner is super friendly and full of jokes. He teased me over my ‘honey do’ list which I meant to get a copy of... And I wish I’d gotten a photo of the shop next to them. We pulled in on that side and facing us was the huge back side of a bear! It’s a taxidermy shop. On the wall we even saw a zebra head. Funny cuz I came super close to grabbing a dead fox off the road yesterday... drove by it, thought about it, textd a friend who’s husband hunts all the time, found gloves and bags in my car and decided to go back just to have the town bulldozer drive by me after cleaning it up!

While the block and its essentials are away I decided to pull the fuel and brake lines alone the passenger frame rail. Didn’t take long and out of something like (guessing right now) 20 bolts I only sheared 4 and has to drill through 1. Attempted to teach my child how to jack up and remove a tire. He’s so damn hardheaded, I got the lesson accomplished but not w/o frustration on both our parts.

Once I got the fuel lines separated the brake lines showed their age and one began dripping. Obviously this was way overdue. Thanks to Tommy, @tmxmotorsports who sent me his old fuel lines that are in great shape, I’ll only need to remake the brake lines.
Once they were off I began the cleaning up of the inner frame rail.

** Warning** Pucker affect will begin.
The rust is horribly ugly.

878990A7-92E9-4A07-8868-0372C5745958.jpeg

B8C60DAC-5A2C-47DE-9B49-D35D45506C8D.jpeg

3480A3B3-BD7B-4B07-BBB6-1D1B29CA8EA3.jpeg

5861F07C-B86B-4EFD-A029-DAD12DC18C85.jpeg

F61CD6FF-8854-4A3D-BA57-9FB6EE628CC7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom