What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have done several things since the last time I posted. Just Tuesday of this week I received a 4plus tire and cooler carrier minis the basket which I’m going to get later. Sent it to get it powder coated yesterday.

2F43F2E1-0FED-4DFB-AADA-2C5E7B1F7A87.jpeg

Have done several things since the last time I posted. Just Tuesday of this week I received a 4plus tire and cooler carrier minis the basket which I’m going to get later. Sent it to get it powder coated yesterday.

View attachment 3217400
You will like it.... they are rock solid!

Dude I am stoked on this thing! Normally I am a stickler for stuff being more original but its pretty epic.
Thanks very much. I love a stock 40 just as much as everyone else, but if your gonna commit to modifying, might as well go all in right? :grinpimp:

I think the truth of it is what you start out with. If your starting 40 is fairly nice and is still mostly stock, then that should be your aim, or maybe even OEM plus.

But if your starting point is a 45 in a scrap heap with a 3F engine, h55 and more rust than steel, then why not go nuts? :hillbilly:
20211122_162720.jpg

What HEI dizzy is that?

I got it from Man A Fre in Las Vegas, NV. Going to be starting the ol' beast this weekend!

In shakedown mode now the engine is "done" and I am back - so much to do - first thing is/was an alignment. When looking from the front - reminded me of the old western shows with Jack Elam - anyway - I didn't want to drive too much in shakedown and shred tires until resolved and I don't want to make the time to learn the tape measure method right now - so finding a place to do it was problematic ("your car is too old for our computers").

Found a place that would (lets call this a "dealership") - I asked if they had a plug for the manifold to un-Macgyver what was on hand at the moment to plug it - vs me running around more with no luck (Several Autoparts stores didn't have the plug in stock ????).

Well in attempting to plug they jacked with the carb (saw a port not plugged) - so now going to undo their "efforts" - It revs so fast, you'd think it ran exclusively off Red Bull and would die of a heart attack. I'm going to reset the idle mixture - they messed with that to keep it running so I could get home that night. They don't know carburetors clearly, and I just wanted to get away as fast as this tractor would go and do it myself. I got the alignment I needed, and I planned/wanted to set the idle anyway with digital tack and vacuum gage anyway before the alignment anyway.

It is a good thing IMO, my friend who knows carb better that I, setup the carb while I was away, so this forces me to learn/know the carburetor which is where I do want to spend my time right now (plus it will be above freezing today). When done resolving the vacuum connections, I will learn how to set the idle using a vacuum gage and digital tack etc. (Then try to figure out my wiring issue to my fender lights.) AND look at rebuilding the manual steering box and center link - a lot of play in the wheel before I feel resistance even after the alignment. May go whole hog and do drag link, TRE, and rag joint just cuz.

IMG_8490.jpeg

IMG_8507.jpeg

IMG_8560.jpeg

That manifold port is a vacuum source for several things, but the only want you really need/want is for the distributor evacuation system. Here is the official de-smog vacuum line schematic:

desmog schematic.jpg

That port is labeled as "Gas Filter" (Engrish) on the above diagram.

If they left it unplugged, it would create a vacuum leak which could account for your poor idle.

That manifold port is a vacuum source for several things, but the only want you really need/want is for the distributor evacuation system. Here is the official de-smog vacuum line schematic:

View attachment 3218937

That port is labeled as "Gas Filter" (Engrish) on the above diagram.

If they left it unplugged, it would create a vacuum leak which could account for your poor idle.
Here is the official de-smog vacuum line schematic:
THANKS!

Drove around to scout some trailheads.
20230114_153834.jpg
20230114_153837.jpg

4163C54D-D350-4AA7-B4F4-0FD481426670.jpeg

Swapped out the driver side fender this afternoon.
“New” older fender with less rust and less bondo.
B6E0286E-7931-4777-AF19-BC0666F5FE64.jpeg

Original fender after removal.
EA34942D-B71D-4035-90A9-9D9E0345B086.jpeg

Fender apron I robbed the emblem from.
634ACA57-E50F-4B11-B77D-E8C86970B285.jpeg

And the end result.
C0440CEC-6278-4F09-B063-997F64D50C76.jpeg

I have a passenger side fender that matches the blue one I installed today, I'll swap it out in the future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom