What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today I remedied my throttle linkage. After 40 years of pressing the accelerator pedal the ball and socket joints wore badly. I had about an inch + of play before the butterfly valves would open. Having zero luck sourcing new or remanufactured ball and socket linkage I reach out to @ToyotaMatt for some ideas. Of course he has some. I replaced the horizontal and small vertical push rods with two that he got from his Skunk labs that had perfectly rounded sockets. He was able to fit me with the earlier torque rod that did not have the ball on the end but a bushing. I also replaced the bracket that attached to the carb that has the receiver for the early bushing torque rod. The new torque rod also has perfectly round balls that fit snuggly into the push rod sockets. The original torque rod balls were oval and not round and just flopped around in the out of shape sockets. So now everything is tight! No play at all. It’s a nice feeling when I put on the gas. I think it has cut down my 1/4 mile time a tenth or two!
I also installed a nice shiny new heat shield and carb gasket/insulator.
So a shout out to @ToyotaMatt (once again) for having all of this cool st

View attachment 3134791
Thanks for posting these photos. First clear ones I've seen to help me hook up my mechanical throttle components, when converting from cable style throttle.

Intended use: Confusing Jeep drivers, General purpose cruising and Fishing….

But today: :grinpimp:
AD5C2EEF-F134-4605-A443-A82DFF1207DB.jpeg

*Disclaimer: It was a sunny 64 degrees, my girl is still topless and we needed stuff……. Damn fine grocery getter!

Intended use: Confusing Jeep drivers, General purpose cruising and Fishing….

But today: :grinpimp:
View attachment 3181119
*Disclaimer: It was a sunny 64 degrees, my girl is still topless and we needed stuff……. Damn fine grocery getter!
I have to get paper sacks when doing a grocery run in a topless 40. The plastic bags rattle all the way home.

Under the cheap ring terminals you find copper. No copper on anything from any factory from Japan that I've seen. Sure the wires themselves are copper, but nothing that could possibly get wet when it is connected to steel. Something about dissimilar metals, cathode anode thing. Use copper to make egg whites stand up, and for the actual run of wire. It makes no sense to mix steel with copper, in your car, or on plumbing fixture. All of my battery lugs seem factory and look brass. Even the factory splice in the wiring harness looked like a sheet of brass. So, I discovered you can buy a spool of 16g. solid brass, some 1/4" 1/32" brass strip (akin to male spade connector), and some tube for lab purposes. I'm going to try a few things, maybe connectors that hold the insulation as well as the exposed twist, etc.

20221130_172048.jpg

I intentionally broke the factory ground wire on one of these sockets. I striped the insulation, every strand was black black. It was fine on the multimeter, but, not for visual, or for the calendar. Let's see what I come up with for a repair...

Nov 29 and nothing evergreen yet on a roof rack, or windshield folded down?
Next weekend, hopefully.

Might have to take my truck though.
The local mountain opens tomorrow, 15" of fresh powder, with another 8-12" forecasted overnight.

Chatting with the little tank ass nurse at work today she suggested that I take a day off tomorrow, I look like I might be getting sick.
@GA Architect she looks like the one on the left with the ankle tats.

Put mine in the garage in anticipation of rain. If I'm not mistaken, it's the first time this has ever been in a garage under my ownership except a couple times I drove it to work.

I shuttled my Porsche over to work to make room for it. The garage there is massively under-utilized since COVID.

About 6'9" at the center of the roll bar. The garage is 6'10.5".

1669872811064-png.3182586

I think there is more road rash on the fiberglass top of my 40 then the steel bottom. Smashed up spring pack plates don't count. The roof, and hardtop-side pin stripping is significant as well. This isn't Moab, but, I have fun on Forest Roads. It is funny how after the lift and hardtop, the first one barely fit into the garage, won't do that again.

oh snap ?

i forgot to mention : :idea:

it's officially official ...........

1669560723663.png

@ToyotaMatt
Looking for brass ring terminals for after factory install of extra ground under horn relay screw. M8 diameter, and M6. BTW, I call them "bolts" when they are used with a nut, otherwise it is a "screw." What is correct name in JIS?

Please PM me to further discuss your “ JIS- LUGS “

Thanks

Drained the transfer case, fixed it’s leaks, and refilled it, then replaced the reverse light switch in the transmission. I can finally see backing up at night!

Next up is figure out why my turn signals have stopped working
Hey I just noticed your post, I have a leaky t-case on my ‘78 and as previous mechanic didn’t do it right I want to take it on myself. Question is how? Any good sources you could recommend? Thanks. Tom

Next weekend, hopefully.

Might have to take my truck though.
The local mountain opens tomorrow, 15" of fresh powder, with another 8-12" forecasted overnight.

Chatting with the little tank ass nurse at work today she suggested that I take a day off tomorrow, I look like I might be getting sick.
@GA Architect she looks like the one on the left with the ankle tats.
Sound like a possible “trout sickness”?

Drained the transfer case, fixed it’s leaks, and refilled it, then replaced the reverse light switch in the transmission. I can finally see backing up at night!

Next up is figure out why my turn signals have stopped working
When my turn signals stop working i my ‘69 or ‘71, i just have to use the hazard switch a time or two and blinkers magically work again. Not sure if your year has similar wiring, but worth a try for sure! Easiest fix ive ever had to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom