What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@GreaseMonkey Need to install my new to me ‘78 rollbar so can have seatbelts mount right to the rollbar with the top off! Looks good👍

Replaced bubling paint, rusty door bottoms on passenger side door. It took almost as much time contemplating the cut than the actual cutting and welding.

Nicely done- from what I can tell in the pic, it looks like you were able to avoid warping the door. I'm impressed. How'd you pull that off?

I tried everything and still basically ruined my doors and had to pay out the wazzu for a good used set to replace them. :(

[sorry, screwed up the quote]

Worked on a set of knobs for OEM switches. Mixing the early styles to the later switches.
Trying to keep everything looking uniform.
Going with icons vs text.

Right now, I'm about at a dozen different designs.

20220214_160326.jpg

Last edited:
Worked on a set of knobs for OEM switches. Mixing the early styles to the later switches.

Trying to keep everything looking uniform.
Going with icons vs text.

Right now, I'm about at a dozen different designs.

I'm starting a similar project here. Wanted to update my dash knobs to custom icons. Fog, Hazard, and 12V for the first run.

71_Custom_Knobs.png

Yes, and how you mounted and adapted to older terminals. Deets.......

Finally was able to install the new to me 3FE exhaust manifolds to replace the worn out stock manifold.

Lapped intake and exhaust to verify flatness to within .002"

Epoxied some portions of hardened steel washers to the intake to match the exhaust manifold thickness. I could have machined the exhaust manifolds to match the intake, but would rather maintain the thickness of them. It was a simple task to hand grind and epoxy the washers to the intake. Verified they all matched each other with .001

Welded up hole in the stock EGR fitting and installed with a new copper crush washer.

Was able to use the factory heat shields with my "F" intake, tight but they fit. Assembled with all new studs, hardened steel washers and flange nuts.

Next up is to get a 90 degree fitting to redirect / keep oil line away from rear exhaust manifold.

then get a new exhaust fabbed. Am planning on going with a 2 1/2" system after merge collector.

Once new exhaust complete I am going to remove the Weber and install the original Asian carb and factory air cleaner.

Having no fun locating the compression nuts for the stock carb fuel lines, my local Toyota dealer is less than helpful, will be ordering online I guess.

Also the Weber adapters do suck, had a heck of time getting them sealed, but was able to eventually.

intake & exhaust.jpg

Manifolds installed.jpg

Dang .. I could use the filter light if you don't need it @4Cruisers

Finally was able to install the new to me 3FE exhaust manifolds to replace the worn out stock manifold.

Lapped intake and exhaust to verify flatness to within .002"

Epoxied some portions of hardened steel washers to the intake to match the exhaust manifold thickness. I could have machined the exhaust manifolds to match the intake, but would rather maintain the thickness of them. It was a simple task to hand grind and epoxy the washers to the intake. Verified they all matched each other with .001

Welded up hole in the stock EGR fitting and installed with a new copper crush washer.

Was able to use the factory heat shields with my "F" intake, tight but they fit. Assembled with all new studs, hardened steel washers and flange nuts.

Next up is to get a 90 degree fitting to redirect / keep oil line away from rear exhaust manifold.

then get a new exhaust fabbed. Am planning on going with a 2 1/2" system after merge collector.

Once new exhaust complete I am going to remove the Weber and install the original Asian carb and factory air cleaner.

Having no fun locating the compression nuts for the stock carb fuel lines, my local Toyota dealer is less than helpful, will be ordering online I guess.

Also the Weber adapters do suck, had a heck of time getting them sealed, but was able to eventually.

View attachment 2926477

View attachment 2926478
I'll be doing the same project this spring for my '71 FJ40 build. It has a '76 2F, but the original F peripherals. It took me a while to identify and source new OEM hardware (studs, bolts, washers, and nuts), but I've got everything on hand. I'll be building the 2F on an engine stand in the garage when the weather warms up, so that will make the job a bit easier. I plan on treating the exhaust manifolds the same as on my 3FE '86 FJ60 build. Details here:

Does anyone happen to have measurements of their VIN plate for the fender or firewall on a 1976 or later FJ40?

Yes, and how you mounted and adapted to older terminals. Deets.......

have not started the install but moving it under the hood. PO had relocated Painless fuse block into glove box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom