Manifold Makeover - EZ-Slide Coating Approach (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I thought I'd post some pictures documenting the results of my approach to revitalizing the exhaust manifolds on the 3FE from my '89 FJ62, part of my larger '86 FJ60 build (I'll start a separate build thread on that project in a few days).

After doing a boatload of searching on Mud and elsewhere on the internet, I was not sold on any one method of coating my cast iron exhaust manifolds after sandblasting. It seems like there are issues/drawbacks with many of the common methods, whether it's "do nothing" (same old crappy, rusted appearance), high-temperature paint (flaking and chipping), ceramic coating (expense, "unnatural look"), etc. Then I stumbled on a post on a car restoration forum that described using a spray-on graphite lubricant coating, specifically SLIP Plate, manufactured by Superior Graphite. I learned that the carbon in cast iron is in the form of graphite, and that by applying it as a "paint", the graphite would actually bond into the pores of the cast iron. The coating is supposed to be resistant to water, rusting, salt spray, etc. I looked at similar products I could buy locally, because I didn't want to wait a week or more to have something shipped to me - my 3FE build was waiting on this. I decided to try a product called EZ-Slide, manufactured by Van Sickle Paint. It's described as a graphite paint, and it's medium gray in color. I picked up a 12 ounce aerosol can at my local Tractor Supply Company for about $8.

After a thorough sandblasting, I hit the manifolds with compressed air, then wiped them down with 100% mineral spirits (paint thinner). I then taped off the machined surfaces (cylinder head mating surface, exhaust down pipe mating surface, etc.) and sprayed on the first coat. After letting it let it dry for about two hours I sprayed on a second coat, then let it dry for another two hours. I then buffed the surface with an old kitchen towel to give it a nice natural cast iron appearance and lustrous patina (how long has it been since you've seen those two words used together?). I had heard from others that the surface of the part would remain "wet" over time, and that the graphite would rub off on your fingers when handled. So I decided to try to "bake" the finish to drive off the volatiles and hopefully cure the coating. To bake, I put the manifolds under heat lamps (brooder lamps) at close range for two hours on each side. I don't believe the baking helped much, if at all, but hardly any graphite rubs off on your fingers using this approach.

Here are some photos of the manifolds after treatment:

Exhaust-Manifold---1.jpg

Exhaust-Manifold---2.jpg

Exhaust-Manifold---3.jpg

Exhaust-Manifold---4.jpg

Last edited:
wow, that looks great! I read some after it was posted last week and it sounds like people have been using Slip Plate on manifolds for a long time with good results.

I have always been able to find Slip Plate locally at heavy equipment dealers.

Coincidently, after I ran across the link that initially sent me searching, I discovered Ferntucky's February 14, 2016 post on the FJ55 Iron Pig Preservation Society forum, where he included the same link.

It'll be a while before I get the 3FE installed in the '86 FJ60 and up and running, so I won't have any info any time soon on how the treatment holds up at temperature and over time, but I'm definitely encouraged by the results so far.

I'm slowly bolting things back on the engine - today I finished installing the thermostat housing and smog pump. Next up is the power steering pump, but first I need to do a rebuild on it. You might get there first.

Ooooo.......I don't know. I've rebuilt my power steering pump, but I have not yet installed water pump, thermostat, etc.

Good motivation however!

Let's get these babies moving!

Thanks! I DO remember seeing this. Will see about giving it a shot. Far better than the other choices.

yeah, it looks better than my oil cure...

Excellent thread.
I had researched 'Calyx' manifold coating by Eastwood, but I think I will go with the OP tried and true suggestion for this:

combomanif_2F.jpg

Cheers.

4cruisers, did you get new heat insulators for the Exhaust Manifolds? If so, where might a fellow go searching for them? Thank you!
Those are the original insulators, just had to clean them up and hit a few surface rust spots with naval jelly.

Any update? How is it holding up?

I was going to cure mine like @LAMBCRUSHER but may try this stuff out for a first crack.
No update yet, still putting the vehicle together. I've been working on the project for 2-1/2 years. Shooting for a finish date in early to mid-June. Getting antsy, so is my wife. She gets to turn the key when it's ready to fire up, her reward for putting up with my extended build. Picked up a few last-minute parts from American Toyota this afternoon, including a bumper end cap (still available), oxygen sensor gaskets and nuts, and the check valve for the rear window washer hose.

How's the coating holding up on your vehicle? How long has it been since you've got it up and running?

I'm finishing the rebuild of my driveshafts, the painting and reinstallation of my liftgate, the dash installation, and bleeding the brakes. After that, hopefully in a week or two, I'll dribble some oil on the rocker assembly, install the valve cover and the rest of the small stuff under the hood, and fire the 3FE up.

Thinking about doing this for my exhaust manifold. Looks like a great way to spruce things up a bit. Everything else on the truck is getting a deep cleaning, might as well give the exhaust some love .

Update: I used the Slip Plate as recommended on the exhaust manifolds. This was part of my effort to replace my busted exhaust manifold gasket.

In addition to the manifold, I decided to spiff up my exhaust insulators too. I used VHT Engine Enamel High Temperature and a clear coat. I like the two tone effect that I get from the shiny slip plate and the light grey on the insulator.

Still need to fire up the engine, but will update with any changes.

Many thanks for the thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom