What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (88 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's exciting dude, what are the specs on it?

What specs are you curious about? It's a '96 LHD 1HD-FT (24 valve), Manual Trans, Triple-Locked, White, High Miles, but looks really, really good. I don't think it's ever been off road.

What specs are you curious about? It's a '96 LHD 1HD-FT (24 valve), Manual Trans, Triple-Locked, White, High Miles, but looks really, really good. I don't think it's ever been off road.
Bro that's the cruiser lottery haha wow! too perfect. Congrats

Wrapped up replacing rotors on all four corners, and all new parking brake shoes and hardware. Strangely, the parking brake hardware kit only includes two of the actuator springs, when you need two PER SIDE. even OTRAMM mentions this in his video. i just re-used the old ones as only two bright green springs would bother me 😃. I did not use OE parts so hopefully no dead nuns in my future, but instead Napa front rotors, and Centric rears, Bosch parking brake shoes, Carlson parking brake hardware kit all from Rockauto.

These are the old ones. Rotors were jacked; cracked on both braking surfaces; 180* apart. Shoes and hardware actually looked recently replaced, but figured why not "while i'm in there" in case the material was contaminated or something. replaced all four calipers two years ago but skimped on the rotors...oops!
PXL_20231124_175640806.jpg

PXL_20231124_175701343.jpg
PXL_20231124_175716001.jpg

Readjusted the parking brake and its "acceptable". not any better than before. followed all the tutorials on adjusting the dogbones, actuators, cable tension, etc.

After all that, took it for its annual safety inspection, and the shop guys all gave it high praise and they'd been eyeing it up as i sat in the line. heard all about cruisers from his native el salvador. inspector still checked that my front 285's didn't rub anywhere. don't recall anyone ever doing that before.

Last edited:
Well, yesterday, so not quite 'weekend', but it was to repair weekend damage :)

While camping an aggressive Joshua Tree attacked the snorkel head - or shall we admit going too fast down a track :)

PXL_20231129_171009118.MP.jpg

Looked and found lots of 'expensive' metal alternatives etc, but part of me says it's good to have a weak link that is easy to replace.

Searched the web and the infinite number of monkeys had a solution - 3d model that just needed 3d printing. There's actually lots out there, but I went for a reasonably simple shape. 3D printed in petg.

PXL_20231128_022031425.jpg

Installed, maybe it'll attract bees :)

PXL_20231129_170207786.jpg

cheers,
george.

From a few weekends this month, I found myself uncovering hack jobs by POs and fixing them with my own slightly less hacky jobs.

I replaced the fuel evap canister with the tight fitting Autozone VC120. this fixed the excessive pressure in the gas tank felt while removing the gas cap, and lessens fuel smell when parked in the garage. This job's extra credit included taking out the canister bracket (which was misshapen in a fender bender) and bending it back to correctly fit all bolts holes.
286A7AE2-5C58-481A-9F6C-9AC63A86F4AF.jpeg

Rebuilt the seeping steering pump. Replaced old hardened seals with an OEM seals kit, OEM O-ring, and new Nachi bearing sourced through Wits End. Had some good father son bonding time through a fairly smooth FSM based rebuild, despite the nearly impossible snap ring removal on the pumps shaft (not having all the right tools) and constantly stressing not to accidentally drop the vanes during re-assembly.
68514639-43F8-4313-84F7-624C3D953525.jpeg

Fixed passenger seat back/forward. I dug into the system to find aftermarket brass gears locked up due to being slightly too larger in diameter to rotate, old gluey grease, and shards of old nylon catching in the gears... There's no shot this ever worked right... After sanding the gear shafts down just enough to rotate, and cleaning everything, the seat is moving back and forward again!
EB7FC785-782C-4891-93CA-21CBDB2E045A.jpeg

This actual last weekend got out on a drive out to the Cascade mountains taking the North Middle fork Road, driving up the Dingford Creek forest road to see how the ride is over miles of potholes and rock beds... not great with the stock height Dobinson springs+shocks, 30psi 33" load E tires, and no weight in the truck... so we'll come back with a little more weight, maybe a little less psi, and more speed.

From a few weekends this month, I found myself uncovering hack jobs by POs and fixing them with my own slightly less hacky jobs.

I replaced the fuel evap canister with the tight fitting Autozone VC120. this fixed the excessive pressure in the gas tank felt while removing the gas cap, and lessens fuel smell when parked in the garage. This job's extra credit included taking out the canister bracket (which was misshapen in a fender bender) and bending it back to correctly fit all bolts holes.
View attachment 3494376

Rebuilt the seeping steering pump. Replaced old hardened seals with an OEM seals kit, OEM O-ring, and new Nachi bearing sourced through Wits End. Had some good father son bonding time through a fairly smooth FSM based rebuild, despite the nearly impossible snap ring removal on the pumps shaft (not having all the right tools) and constantly stressing not to accidentally drop the vanes during re-assembly.
View attachment 3494384

Fixed passenger seat back/forward. I dug into the system to find aftermarket brass gears locked up due to being slightly too larger in diameter to rotate, old gluey grease, and shards of old nylon catching in the gears... There's no shot this ever worked right... After sanding the gear shafts down just enough to rotate, and cleaning everything, the seat is moving back and forward again!
View attachment 3494385

This actual last weekend got out on a drive out to the Cascade mountains taking the North Middle fork Road, driving up the Dingford Creek forest road to see how the ride is over miles of potholes and rock beds... not great with the stock height Dobinson springs+shocks, 30psi 33" load E tires, and no weight in the truck... so we'll come back with a little more weight, maybe a little less psi, and more speed.
Does a Land Cruiser ever really have "no weight" on it? 🤔

Nice!! Did you stitch it yourself? I have always thought it would be cool to put a newer steering wheel with volume controls, etc on the 80. Has anyone done this?

I did not. I knew I did not have the patience or time to rewrap my wheel. My 80 is my daily. I bought this one off Ebay. 20 min swap.

But hey if you want a new (old) steering wheel to play around with you can have mine!

I did not. I knew I did not have the patience or time to rewrap my wheel. My 80 is my daily. I bought this one off Ebay. 20 min swap.

But hey if you want a new (old) steering wheel to play around with you can have mine!
You made the right choice I am sure. I think someone with patience can make a good living re-wrapping these for sure. Maybe I will do mine (probably not) some day but it isn't too bad yet. 😜

Why delete it? Been always curious but not enough to consider it.
Some people do it to add on board air. Some say it fails. I just did it because it’s in the way it doesn’t need it.

It ain't the weekend but I had a productive afternoon so I am sharing anyways.

Started the afternoon off right by finding a Lexus dealer who could cut a spare key for my HDJ81. They were even able to look up the key code, was surprisingly simple.
IMG_6947.JPG

While it was still light out, I pulled my stock front bumper off in anticipation of my new ARB Bull Bar arriving tomorrow. Plan is to install that tomorrow after work.
IMG_6941.JPG

Spent the rest of the evening working on my storage/camping platform for the trunk space. Finished the skeleton for the trunk area and got the dog's approval. Next step is building a equal height storage platform where the rear passenger seat used to be for sleeping and more storage.
IMG_6946.JPG
IMG_6945.JPG

Wrapped up replacing rotors on all four corners, and all new parking brake shoes and hardware. Strangely, the parking brake hardware kit only includes two of the actuator springs, when you need two PER SIDE. even OTRAMM mentions this in his video. i just re-used the old ones as only two bright green springs would bother me 😃. I did not use OE parts so hopefully no dead nuns in my future, but instead Napa front rotors, and Centric rears, Bosch parking brake shoes, Carlson parking brake hardware kit all from Rockauto.

These are the old ones. Rotors were jacked; cracked on both braking surfaces; 180* apart. Shoes and hardware actually looked recently replaced, but figured why not "while i'm in there" in case the material was contaminated or something. replaced all four calipers two years ago but skimped on the rotors...oops!
View attachment 3494267
View attachment 3494268View attachment 3494269

Readjusted the parking brake and its "acceptable". not any better than before. followed all the tutorials on adjusting the dogbones, actuators, cable tension, etc.

After all that, took it for its annual safety inspection, and the shop guys all gave it high praise and they'd been eyeing it up as i sat in the line. heard all about cruisers from his native el salvador. inspector still checked that my front 285's didn't rub anywhere. don't recall anyone ever doing that before.
Nice to get those damaged rotors off! Not that you want to go back into the e-brake stuff again I'm sure, but If you want to improve it, I installed the Superior Engineering extended dog bone and it really helped mine. I ordered it along with the handbrake kit, but installed it first and ended up passing the handbrake kit along to a local club member as I didn't need it anymore. When you were over for the spare, you saw my driveway that I park on, and it holds great in both directions. Shipping was fast from AU, about 10 days and not hatefully expensive.

Hand brake kit:

And the dog bone:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom