Builds A Teenagers Attempt of a Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I've owned my Land Cruiser a little over a year now and with new summer plans I have for it I thought it would be a good idea for me to make a thread where I can keep track of everything I've done.

First a little background. I fell in love with the Land Cruiser from an early age with camping and exploring with my dad in his 79 FJ40 he has owned since new. Around 6th grade I realized I wanted a cruiser that I could call my own so I started mowing yards around my neighborhood.
My Dads 40
IMG_0146.jpg

Who would have thought that so many people were interested in a middle schooler mowing their yard but now over the years I have developed over 30 repeat customers and have purchased 2 zero turn mower along with a bunch of other stuff. But that's a different story and besides the point. The only important thing about it is it has given me the funds not only to buy a Cruiser but a few upgrades as well.

So a few years after starting the whole mowing thing and one year before I turned 16 I found the perfect Cruiser. It was a black 1996 Cruiser, rust free with 191k, a new head gasket, all mantaince records since new, and it was completely stock.

Here is how it looked when I got it
IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Last edited:
After buying the cruiser the first thing I did was take off the stock running boards and change all the fluids. After that, my dad and I loaded up and took it wheeling around Colorado. It was so impressive to see what this cruiser could do stock. My dad I think was more impressed than me due to the way it was so easy to crawl with an Auto and the more ground clearance to the axel thanks to the 285s (still to small and will get to that later) compared to his 40. There were two things we noticed from that trip though, the suspension was shot, and it would feel a lot better if there were some rock sliders there just in case

IMG_1215.jpg
IMG_4698.jpg
IMG_4720.jpg

So as soon as we got home I ordered some slee sliders and some OME coils and Fox Shocks to give it a nice lift and a little bit better ride.

IMG_0009.jpg

Last edited:
First thing to go on was the Slee Sliders. The install was cake however, it made the low ground clearance from the stock suspension even more noticeable

IMG_1489.jpg

That was quickly fixed however when we installed the new suspension. Man was this such a great upgrade! Not only did it transform the way the Cruiser drove and handled but it made it look like a Cruiser should. I highly recommend the OME coils with the Fox Shocks it is great in my opinion. The front was a little lower then the rear so a MAF 30mm spacer was added at a later date

IMG_0023.jpg

I was very lucky I netted around 3 inches of lift and did not encounter any driveline vibrations or brake line issues. The Castor Correction was also done at a later date with some ICON rubber 3 degree bushings. I don't have a direct before and after picture but I found two snow pictures that kind of show how it changed the look of the Cruiser and made the 285s looks small

Before
IMAG1294.jpg

After
IMG_1138.jpg

(Still not the best picture to prove the difference but its something)

Last edited:
Since then not much has happend to the Cruiser. General Maintance was casually done all the belts are now new along with a new thermostat but that's about it. School started back up and I FINALLY got my license last October. Since October I have put 10,000 flawless miles on it. I have taken it camping once and to the mountains to go skiing 4 times. Every time it has gone up to the mountains it has run cool and barely held the speed limit. I have taken it sorta wheeling I have not gone to far from home as so far I have just gone solo and don't wanna get in over my head.

(Washing it the day before I got my license)
IMG_0630.jpg

Camping above Buena Vista

IMG_0427.jpg

Playing in the snow heading up to the Mountains

IMG_0599.jpg

Loveland Pass
IMG_0610.jpg

Posing on a Mountain not to far from my house
IMG_0703.jpg

Last edited:
Now it is summer time and time for some more upgrades to the 80

My goals for the Cruiser this summer include:

Aussie Rear Locker

Joying Double Din Head Unit (to get the torque app on)

Falken ATW 315s

Re-gear if funds can support

Maybe a front bumper (custom made or slee)

other then that my plan is to keep driving it and wheelen it

First thing to go on was the Slee Sliders. The install was cake however, it made the low ground clearance from the stock suspension even more noticeable

View attachment 1469916

That was quickly fixed however when we installed the new suspension. Man was this such a great upgrade! Not only did it transform the way the Cruiser drove and handled but it made it look like a Cruiser should. I highly recommend the OME coils with the Fox Shocks it is great in my opinion. The front was a little lower then the rear so a MAF 30mm spacer was added at a later date

View attachment 1469917

I was very lucky I netted around 3 inches of lift and did not encounter any driveline vibrations or brake line issues. The Castor Correction was also done at a later date with some ICON rubber 3 degree bushings. I don't have a direct before and after picture but I found two snow pictures that kind of show how it changed the look of the Cruiser and made the 285s looks small

Before
View attachment 1469918

After
View attachment 1469919
(Still not the best picture to prove the difference but its something)

Don't forget about longer brake lines, sway bar(front and rear) drop and LSPV.

Great build but I am even more impressed by your work ethic. You have a bright future in front of you.

Great job!

I started out teaching our son on our Cruiser.

Keep enjoying it and using it the way you want and take pride in what you do!

I'm on a budget like you and have built mine mostly on when cheap parts come up in the classifieds or eBay. I found by getting gears from revolution Off-road on eBay and calling around local shops to get a quote saved me a lot of money. It cost $800 for me in total. Building your own bumper is cool but it's definitely nice to have a friend or someone that knows what they're doing and has the right tools.

It's been a rough few weeks for the 80. None of it necessarily its fault but its been rough. All started a few weeks ago when the starter decided to go. I know this has been a problem for about 6 months and I have had a spare ready but I failed to put it on in time because it was a rare occurrence when I needed to actually get out and hit the starter with a hammer. No pics but got it switched out in probably 3x the time is should have taken me.

Thought it was dialed again. So what do you do right after fixing the starter? You take it wheeling:clap:.

Took it wheeling all day around the Woodland Park area and the Cruiser kicks ass even unlocked. Until we find a trail at the end of the day (4pm) that has this rough obstacle thats called Moab Hill Colorado. Look it up if interested its actually pretty insane and I'm so happy my unlocked 80 could do it but it came with a cost.

Almost at the very top of the obstacle my crappy 33s don't wanna hook up (need 37s/5.29s) and I need to stack rocks under the rear right tire (made it up with little to no will spin except for this one spot) . Put it in reverse and hear a pretty bad noise when I let off the brake. I get out and look around and don't see anything so I stack the rocks and get drive on up. I immediately get out and check the drive shaft and thank god that was intact but the exhaust was not.....from the cats back I sheered all the brackets and the exhaust was now basically on the ground and hitting the driveshaft. I am luckily I was not to far from town and limp it in and cut off the exhaust just behind the O2 sensor with a saw I bought from Walmart. Now I have driven it with no muffler for 2 weeks and as good as it sounded (I actually would have kept it if it was a little quieter and didn't piss off my dad haha) I finally got it fixed for $300.

On the bright side tho the Cruiser is now dialed and the exhaust is now in a place where it will not get ripped off and I am so thrilled I made it up Moab Hill without more damage and I can't wait to go give it another shot.

Its been a while since I have updated what's been going on with my 80. Over the summer I put 12,000 miles on it and besides repair items i was expecting to have to tackle it has been flawless. To give back to it I gave it some new wheels and tires. Added some Cooper A/T3 tires with some discount tire 17inch wheels. I love this setup. Still on stock gearing I have some 5.29s, a front end rebuild kit, and a Aussie rear locker sitting in the garage. A part of me wants to wait till I can afford selectable lockers front and rear so i can just get it all done at once. And honestly 37s on stock gearing is not that bad. Going from the 33s I was on to these it was hard to tell the difference.

( I also ripped the bumper off 2 days before getting 37s and have failed to get a new one)
IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

Over the summer repair wise from 204,000 to 213,800 I have had to fix the following:

Starter
Brake Pads and Rotors
Radiator (what a pain)
Water pump
Another new steering stabilizer (OME one crapped out)
Front and rear diff fluids
Tranny flush (due to a little to deep water crossing that almost ruined the cruiser)

IMG_0879.jpg

Upgrade wise I have:
Added the wheels and tires
New subwoofer
Purchased Re-gear and Front end rebuild kit along with Aussie locker
Doesn't sound like much but man that was all spendy :bang:

Last edited:
Upgrade wise there is a lot I want to do but no funds to do it with. But in a perfect world I would like to:

New front bumper: Either custom or Slee
Selectable lockers front and rear
Part time kit: keep wear off front end
New lift: I love my lift kit with how it rides and flexes, but I need one more inch to remove all rubbing. It doesn't rub very badly right now though

Overall goal is to find the perfect combination between off road capability and still able to cruise down the road.

Still in love with my cruiser. Every time I drive a different car it always makes me appreciate my cruiser even more.

Here are some more pics of it

IMG_9104.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome man! Keep up the good work!

With the 851/860 +30mm front spacer you have I would say try a 1” body lift first. Unless you have an extra $1500+ to go to a 4” lift. Not only will springs and longer shocks be needed, more CC, but everything will have to be extended, dropped, and at least a front DC driveshaft. It adds up quickly. Also, how are your front radius arm bushings? I had a lot of play in mine at the frame mount that was allowing the front axle to be pushed backwards and the tire to contact the body.

Andrew, you're my new hero. Keep up the good work.

Love the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom