What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (97 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So nice! Something happened in my brain last month and I got the idea that once the kids are a little older the 80 should be chopped into a single cab ute. Maybe by Ken?!
If you ask Nicely and you have a thick wallet Ken maybe able give your brain what it wants

Experimenting
IMG_20210919_100423_054.jpg
IMG_20210919_100423_089.jpg

Also changed my oil with the Ford relocation parts..

Small step for my land cruiser being accepted into the family by my wife. She bought me a key chain at a craft fair yesterday. Hope is on the horizon though she still won't drive in it yet.

20210919_204743.jpg

You know of a place to get a tan dash grab bar like the one in your interior?
My only suggestion would be wreckers, but they don't seem easy to come by.

Fuel filter. Assuming it was original..

Next job will be my first real 80 series right of passage - knuckle rebuild

View attachment 2789020

Recently did the knuckle rebuild for the first time myself. Busted two bolts: a small one on the knuckle seal retention ring (not a big deal as there are 5 others holding it on, and it's a standard size...but pretty sad when you snap a bolt torqueing to 45 inch pounds, lol...mechanic friend told me that 45 inch pounds is basically just hand tight...good to know), and one of the steering arm bolts that go up through the bottom of the knuckle. That was a PITA, had to have my mechanic get it out. In hindsight the two things I would have done differently are (1) obtain spare bolts in advance and (2) invest in the proper tools to seat your seals and remove/replace bearing races. Sure you can do it with a brass drift and a gentle touch, but it is frustrating and takes FOREVER! $30-40 for the right tools would have probably saved me a couple of hours, tons of sanity, and at least one jacked up birf seal. Good luck!

Recently did the knuckle rebuild for the first time myself. Busted two bolts: a small one on the knuckle seal retention ring (not a big deal as there are 5 others holding it on, and it's a standard size...but pretty sad when you snap a bolt torqueing to 45 inch pounds, lol...mechanic friend told me that 45 inch pounds is basically just hand tight...good to know), and one of the steering arm bolts that go up through the bottom of the knuckle. That was a PITA, had to have my mechanic get it out. In hindsight the two things I would have done differently are (1) obtain spare bolts in advance and (2) invest in the proper tools to seat your seals and remove/replace bearing races. Sure you can do it with a brass drift and a gentle touch, but it is frustrating and takes FOREVER! $30-40 for the right tools would have probably saved me a couple of hours, tons of sanity, and at least one jacked up birf seal. Good luck!
School ain't cheap on Landcruisers. Congrats on plowing through the birf job despite the obstacles! You've passed the right of passage!:beer::beer:

This weekend we drove 1200 miles from Nashville to Colorado to take the LC to it's new home. Lots of fuel was consumed but it drove amazing on the highway.

I recently did a 3K round-trip from LA to Seattle, John Denver country roads on repeat.

Another gratitude-filled experience bonding with the 80, but a little bit of c-dissonance with the wild fires all too common place.

(Summer sun, afternoon, somewhere near Oregon)

IMG-3128.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom