Builds Travis’s PNW LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice job with the back of your truck. What is the Yeti thing with all the electrical things in it?

Lithium battery w/solar, 12v out and a small inverter. I run my fridge, charge phones and radios. I've also got a briefcase folding solar panel for longer times at camp.

I like that a lot! So it is not wired into your truck? it is a stand alone unit that your fridge etc can plug into?

I like that a lot! So it is not wired into your truck? it is a stand alone unit that your fridge etc can plug into?

That's correct - I run it off my inverter to charge when driving, then plug in solar if I'm going to be stationary for more than a day or two. The larger Goal Zero lithium batteries can be hard-wired to the vehicle charging system for much faster charging. I believe that @TeCKis300 has done this.

I didn't do the high power (25-50amp) Yeti Link charger. I find low and slow via the Car Charger Adapter (5-10amp) to work just great for my uses. Especially when the 1000 model I have has such monstrous reserves.

@molanginaeda did the Yeti Link here

Dog House Tents, I import and sell them. I sell them through Alpine Hut so the stock is more accurate there. I am really low on stock atm but have a container landing this week. Should be up dated by the end of the week.
Awesome - I may be interested if you have Delta hardtop coming in. Let me know :)

My truck developed a squeal and I narrowed it down to either idler or tensioner so I replaced both.

91E74A94-56D7-445B-97F5-FBA3CF2696DA.jpeg

5014CBE0-33CA-4857-B807-A89D57FE5B10.jpeg

Toyota uses Dayco parts - and it’s cheaper to buy Dayco branded. Notice the Dayco stamping:

2A58ECA1-EFC3-4F4A-AD2E-2BDC13C402F2.jpeg

This is a fiddly job but anyone can do it. You’ll need a set of offset wrenches, 6mm hex wrench, 12mm socket, and 9/16” socket.
  1. Drop your skid plates - this is the most time consuming part!
  2. Use the 9/16” socket and long cheater bar to clock the tensioner to slack the belt.
  3. Stick a short hex key in the key way to hold the tensioner in place.
  4. I did the idler first while belt was slack. It’s just one 14mm bolt. An offset wrench makes it easy.
  5. To remove the tensioner you’ll need the 6mm hex. I used one with a socket. It took many tries because mine was full of mud - I had to hammer the hex socket in there but eventually got it.
  6. There is one more 12mm bolt holding the tensioner to the block.
Reverse the process to reinstall. It's a good time to replace your belt if you haven't yet - but I had mine replaced about 15k miles ago so it's still pretty new.

Squeak is gone!

I can confirm that my replacement tensioner in a Toyota/Lexus box from a reputable Toyota dealer is also a Dayco (much to my surprise!).

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm turning 40 in just a few weeks and my very supportive spouse signed off on some goodies. Lots of surprises ahead!

Here's the first—

LuPA7eJ.jpg

C4icxAw.jpg

aKe2ZA3.jpg

As I mentioned in earlier posts — despite extruded aluminum crossbars being a totally OEM+ way to make your factory rack more functional — I was ready for more square footage. I've been hauling around a gigantic Thule ski box that is falling apart, rather than replace it I want to move to hard cases for camping gear up top. The big advantage of a rack like this is raw square footage. It's just huge.

Like most upgrades — I probably over thought this choice. It was a three way race between FrontRunner, Rhino Rack, and this Prinsu.

• FrontRunner is the ubiquitous choice. Their biggest advantage is their clever mounting options and accessory catalog. It's also the most expensive and doesn't include a fairing. For me the downside is that I find it to be pretty ugly. It's like 6" off the roof line. Someone on this forum (I can't remember who) described it as ping pong table on the roof.
  • Rhino Rack was almost my first choice. I love how low profile it is and the look of the backbone system. However I talked myself out of it due to the fore/aft arrangement of the channels. I still occasionally might want to use my Thule and the RR would make it hard.
  • Prinsu — I have always loved the look of this rack but got a little spooked about some posts here about mounting and spacers etc

What set me over the edge with the prinsu is that it can be used with basically any brand of accessory - especially with the two accessory panels I added.

Ordering was easy - but Prinsu did kind of blow it and forgot to include hardware. To their credit they air mailed me new stuff but I lost a weekend.

Installation was harder than it should have been - but mainly because of the normal nightmares involved with cracking open the rack. The driver side rail was totally fine - but passenger was a different story. When I installed my land cruiser rack I spun two (two!) of the freaking mounts and nutserted them back in. This time around the nutserts spun so I had to pop them out, drill holes, and go up a bolt size.

Seriously - every time I touch the roof it takes a year off my life.

Everything is buttoned up, tight, and coated in prodigious amounts of non-hardening sealant. It's supposed to rain this weekend, fingers crossed.

Stay tuned for more birthday surprises!

Last edited:
The big 4-0 is how I got away with ordering my dissents 😂

Happy early birthday, and I'm excited to see what else you got!

Happy Birthday! I went back and forth on the Prinsu and Rhino. To your points above, there is really no wrong choice with any of the three.

I promised more surprises! Read on as I totally contradict myself:

There are a couple of things that I've been day dreaming about:
  1. Hidden winch mount + winch— I know that Jason has had a hard time getting an LX for fit. Hopefully that changes soon. I'd love a bad ass bull bar, but feels like overkill for my use.

A couple of events relevant to this story:

• I spent a silly amount of time lusting over @Prime 's truck. I may or may not have photos saved on my phone
  • The last time I camped, I really scratched my bumper
  • I went to Tahuya with the seattle crew, and did it again:
IMG_7348.jpg

This was the "after" — it was totally caved in until I got a pry bar and worked it out. I started out pricing bumper skins — and before I knew it, a new bumper + paint + a hidden winch mount started getting into bumper territory. There are boogered up used bumper skins on ebay — but that seemed just as bad as what I have now.

So I jumped off into the deep end!

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0284.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

Ironman4x4 classic bullbar, Ironman Blast II 7" driving lights, Badland Apex winch. I have a lot to say about installing this bullbar, but I'll create a separate thread for it.

First off - why Ironman? Easy — value. < $1500, free freight, no tax, free 7" lights, and was at my house in 4 days. I agonized over choosing between an ARB sahara, or a TJM T13, or going boutique and getting something from Benc. But in the end, my wallet won.

Winch— I'm not about that premium winch life. I know that Comeup and Warn make a great winch. But this was $500 and has seriously impressive specs. If you are familiar with Matt's Offroad Recovery on youtube - this guy has done hundreds (maybe thousands) of recoveries with his first-gen harbor freight. I think for occasional use — it will be great. It's a $500 bet I'm fine making.

Driving impressions — the weight is there. You can't deny it. AHC kind of shrugs it off like no big deal though. Breaking feels the same, steering is a little heavier.

I've got a couple of things to tidy up still—

1. I ordered an ARB camera relocation kit from Slee
2. The winch came with a battery disconnect that I haven't installed
3. Driver parking sensor is intermittently losing it's mind
4. My trail tailor recovery points aren't long enough to clear the winch cradle so I ordered some tundra hooks

Overall — I'm so pumped with how it looks, how it feels, and what it affords me ahead. But also, I'd never do this again ;)

Big thanks again to @Prime and @Atwalz — they both put up with my 20 questions over instagram.

Ask me anything!

Last edited:
Off the deep end indeed! And all the more badass for it. Enjoying the story and the buildup to where she is today.

I'm also Matt's Offroad Recovery junkie. Love that channel. Does so much with relatively so little. Beadlocks next?! :hillbilly:

Off the deep end indeed! And all the more badass for it. Enjoying the story and the buildup to where she is today.

I'm also Matt's Offroad Recovery junkie. Love that channel. Does so much with relatively so little. Beadlocks next?! :hillbilly:

I'm seriously trying to not get sucked into 35s right now :p You made it look too easy. I just don't want to re-gear anytime soon.

No re-gearing here. Just turn on the PWR button and do it!!

I'm seriously trying to not get sucked into 35s right now :p You made it look too easy. I just don't want to re-gear anytime soon.

34s and call it a day. I am glad I regeared and BBK'd for the 35s though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom