Builds Travis’s PNW LX570 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last week I traversed section 2 of the Washington BDR and a 40 mile loop in the Washington scab lands my pal and his GX470. We did 90-100 miles off road over 3 days — my biggest trip so far. We started in the lush apline of Mt. Rainier and finished in the arid desert along the Columbia river. While we didn't do any epic tripod stands across obstacles like the golden crack in MOAB - the terrain was difficult. My buddy and I, and our trucks were tested in a way that we had yet to experience.

Section 2 starts with an easy forest road that climbs 3k feet up to Bethel Ridge:

Y0Go0II.jpg

Th1Yzee.jpg

Up top we were surprised to find so much color—as it's very dry and rocky:

wXo7bFY.jpg

Skq2kuo.jpg

The ridge itself is what steals the show. Hero photos from every angle:

kooaSZr.jpg

Q8WpHAy.jpg

ErpJx5u.jpg

4MewK7t.jpg

Before leaving the ridge, we found some shenanigans:

tQwLXVy.jpg

(I fits, barely)

UG0lvXk.jpg

Before leaving the ridge we stopped to checkout Bear Lake:
1sjJbWO.jpg

This is where the environment changes dramatically. We left the alpine and traversed through the rain shadow east of the Cascades. This is where things got dry. So dry that we sat for an hour to watch an active forest fire:

YupzZH5.jpg

Riding the ridge of Cleman mountain was just bonkers—it's like a prairie 6K feet up:

itF5uAH.jpg

VqOEdPB.jpg

5I9FyLy.jpg

The smoke from the fire went right over the last 20 miles of our route so we opted to bypass it and headed for food and fuel. Next, we made our way to central Washington to camp along the Columbia river.

AQ5VRH6.jpg

LClSo6n.jpg

4KQVzMZ.jpg

This was honestly one of the most picturesque spots I've ever stayed at:

1NQ4Kje.jpg

Sunrise was pretty special too:

uVOromo.jpg

That morning we packed up to finish the 40 mile loop around the preserve. The terrain was dry, rocks were sharp, and the bushes were, well, scratchy:

gmnhLjS.jpg

We made our way to the PSE windfarm:

mLH3Mue.jpg

The route winds up and down valleys and views, it was incredible:
oFYQ13H.jpg

We saw several herds of wild goats:
7D26HiT.jpg

And even found an old homestead:
uu02KXu.jpg

I don't have any interesting photos - but in the last narrow canyon we drove through, a sharp rock sliced open one of the K02s on my buddy's GX. The canyon was barely wide enough to open the doors of the truck - and not knowing what was ahead - so we decided ot change it there. Neither of us had a high lift so we ended up using two bottle jacks to get the wheel off the ground (one under the slider and one under the axle tube). Changing the tire was pretty uneventful - but once the wheel was on we actually rolled the truck off the jack trying to secure one of the nuts. Had the truck rolled back, or hit the ground, it would have been bad news. What I learned:

- Get a hi-lift (actually, just got one today)
- Consider dropping the spare first, and using it as a temporary jack stand in the even that the truck does roll off the jack.

It took about an hour to change the tire, and most of it was just game-planning. Once we got it on, we carefully made our way out and headed home.

Post-trip reflection:
The 570 was just an absolute beast. No traction issues, never worried about clearance, etc. I finally got more comfortable with what the truck is capable of. I did leave with a couple of souvenirs:

uRUJbyB.jpg

86IJfIM.jpg

These aren't buffing out:
k9RInK4.jpg

gvxlf49.jpg

Fantastic views up there! I'll have to drive those roads myself one day.

I had a hi-lift, and would advise against it. While it can be used relatively safely, you need the know-how and the patience to do so. They are bulky and a pain to transport, and honestly, have limited use. A quality floor jack would be a better option IMO (although they also get bulky), or a solid platform/raiser for the bottle jack.

Whenever I remove a wheel off a car (or a trailer, for that matter), it instantly goes under the vehicle's frame. Should the vehicle drop, the wheel/tire will prevent it from dropping to the ground and potentially crushing a body part. When changing spares, drop the spare under first, then swap the wheels once the damaged one is off.

A pair of wheel chocks under other wheels is also never a bad idea - these are cheap, relatively small, and easy to find.

Whenever I remove a wheel off a car (or a trailer, for that matter), it instantly goes under the vehicle's frame. Should the vehicle drop, the wheel/tire will prevent it from dropping to the ground and potentially crushing a body part. When changing spares, drop the spare under first, then swap the wheels once the damaged one is off.

Yep, this is where we went wrong. Glad to have lived to not make the mistake again!

As a new LX570 owner (2010 150k miles), I think this is my favorite thread so far... great info and some spectacular photos... While I love living in New Hampshire, I'm more than a little jealous of the landscapes at your disposal :)

The WABDR is fantastic. Sections 4 & 5 are really breathtaking. You should go back and summit Chumstick mountain - the views are incredible. If you're in that area, Sugarloaf peak is another vista that doesn't disappoint.

The WABDR is fantastic. Sections 4 & 5 are really breathtaking. You should go back and summit Chumstick mountain - the views are incredible. If you're in that area, Sugarloaf peak is another vista that doesn't disappoint.

I climbed Suragloaf at an NWOR trail ride a couple of years ago. It was cloudy as hell so I defiantly need to go back and do the whole section!

Last edited:
As a new LX570 owner (2010 150k miles), I think this is my favorite thread so far... great info and some spectacular photos... While I love living in New Hampshire, I'm more than a little jealous of the landscapes at your
As a new LX570 owner (2010 150k miles), I think this is my favorite thread so far... great info and some spectacular photos... While I love living in New Hampshire, I'm more than a little jealous of the landscapes at your disposal :)

Just get out there! A stock LX is shockingly capable. Just have to be cautious on stock tires.

Sad to have missed this trip!

Fantastic views up there! I'll have to drive those roads myself one day.

A pair of wheel chocks under other wheels is also never a bad idea - these are cheap, relatively small, and easy to find.

I have a set that came with my old Discovery II, they rotate back on themselves and fold into a tiny footprint. One of the only things I really liked about that truck (;)).

Today I recovered my not-so-fancy-but-oh-so-functional DIY drawers. Material is recycled polyester that came in a 4’ by 8’ roll from Lowe’s. Attached with 3M spray adhesive and some finish nails.

g4N3mpD.jpg

AROl1qB.jpg

These things are far from perfect (mostly because of my YouTube certified carpentry skills), but damn I love them. I’ve went back and forth on getting a set of ARB or KISS drawers, but I can’t justify dropping the coin.

More off-season fiddlin’

cJ4siHH.jpg

I scored a previously loved transit bag for my ARB 50 from the expedition portal classifieds for $50. It’s a little dusty but otherwise perfect.

The HDPE “slides” have become so slippery that my drawers tend to slide open and hit the hatch when I take off so I added some circular marine latches:

TkqTs2I.jpg

Easy to install but hard to get the catch just right. Lots of fiddling to get to this point:

275/70/18 Cooper STT Pro
I’ve put 25k trouble-free miles on my Wildpeaks’ and totally stand behind them as an awesome AT tire but I am ready to try something different.

275/70/r18 Cooper STT Pro. Laces out

JlioQyQ.jpg

AtRdxkB.jpg

a6vDJAc.jpg

I was very close to going to a 305 but options are super limited: F-rated Nittos, Cooper XLTs, and KO2s. No thanks on F-rated, jury is out on the coopers, and I don’t think KO2s live up to the hype.

I came close to same size Nittos but I’ve got a lot of GX friends who rave about the STT Pro. I also read some excellent posts by @Taco2Cruiser and decided to roll the dice.

275/70/r18 Cooper STT Pro. Laces out. How was the fit? Any trimming? Looks like front muds came off.

275/70/r18 Cooper STT Pro. Laces out. How was the fit? Any trimming? Looks like front muds came off.

They were already off with the Falkens. The coopers are more square and rub a bit more at full lock in reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom