Builds Travis’s PNW LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Falken Wildpeak 295/70/18
This week I concluded the 12k mile mud terrain experiment and decided to go back to an AT tire.

IMG_1400.jpg

If you are a considering a mud-terrain, here's what you'll love:
  • Absolutely velcro-like traction in dirt, mud, clay, rock, and fresh powder. I never ever got stuck with them.
  • Nearly indestructible 3-ply sidewalls.
  • Brutally handsome good looks. Who doesn't like a knobbly sidewall, especially on an understated dad or mom mobile?
  • You'll get a nod of approval from your tire installer.

Here's what you'll compromise on:
  • They will be loud and hum and thrum and different speeds. We just did a road trip to the coast and it was miserable at hour 4.
  • The sidewall is really stiff. Mine were stiff for first 5k miles even after much aired-down use.
  • They absolutely will scare you in in any snow other than powder. Seriously — the factory dunlops would be an improvement.
  • They will be noticeably heaver than a comparable AT.
I don't regret trying the MTs—now I know they aren't for me.

Tidying up and taking care of the last bit of rub. Hat tip @TeCKis300 and @radman for the suggestions!

958AE67C-3F0A-4DCF-83F5-388BAC343675.jpeg

I used a multi tool to cut off the inside bolt and flap of the rocker panel. Next I used a 4” grinder and cutoff wheel to remove the bracket. I cut 3/4 way up and then the rest broke off with some vice grips. I filed down and painted. 10 minute job and no more rubbing.

Tidying up and taking care of the last bit of rub. Hat tip @TeCKis300 and @radman for the suggestions!

View attachment 2605116

I used a multi tool to cut off the inside bolt and flap of the rocker panel. Next I used a 4” grinder and cutoff wheel to remove the bracket. I cut 3/4 way up and then the rest broke off with some vice grips. I filed down and painted. 10 minute job and no more rubbing.
Too funny. This exact same “tidy up item” is on my agenda this weekend!

The big mods are fun but lots of little things happening now that the snow has mostly thawed in Washington!

New tents
For the last 4 years we’ve camped with a cheap “instant cabin” that was easy to setup but very impractical and poorly made. And for trips without my girls it was not practical. Rather than re-up on a big tent, we went modular and got Gazelle T3 and T4:

D22CAF50-5634-466E-BC9B-D6E11FE96C67.jpeg

This setup will be so practical for my family. My wife and dogs in the orange tent, girls in the green. Or for solo trips I can just take the smaller T3.

Recovery
After nearly failing to self recover in a open snow field earlier this year I finally picked up a second set of maxtrax. For a truck this size you really need 4 boards. And the brand is worth the premium. I’ve witnessed first hand the generic boards snap and chip - but not these.

09B8BC9D-B820-456F-9B6C-DDFF4A806998.jpeg

When all else fails

In the event that I cannot recover, or injured or something worse, a Garmin InReach adds some peace of mind. They recently added more flexible monthly plans making it more practical to justify.

A783D1FB-CE79-485A-80C8-A8BEAB8E8A74.jpeg

Comms
The batteries on my cheap midland FRS radios where barely holding a charge so trying something new. Picked up a Rocky and other than it not having a clip I really like them. The charge with USB-C and I save battery by not having an always on screen.

757D97BB-8715-4329-B19A-8F496A1A9C98.jpeg

Brake refresh
I was up against the wear indicators on the front so decided to refresh everything. There was absolutely life left in the rotors but I find getting them turned very impractical. Very happy with hawk LTS pads and centric coated rotors.

452031E8-80C1-4E6F-AB73-7BDC21DFBCF5.jpeg

Button up by having my local Indy do a fluid flush and vacuum bleed.

Morrflate
I cant believe that I waited so long to hop on this bandwagon. Absolute game changer.

FBEB2592-CAF7-45C2-807E-9C7A949003D4.jpeg

Odds and ends
  • Replaced my PCV valve. It was very crusty
  • Passenger side Hikari finally gave up. Easy swap
  • Replaced a lug nut on right rear wheel spacer that was starting to get wobbly
  • New Bosche Icon wipers. Absolutely the best option

Nice update on everything. I've had great luck with the centric coated rotors on both my previous 100 series and my LX570.

Nice update on everything. I've had great luck with the centric coated rotors on both my previous 100 series and my LX570.
The big mods are fun but lots of little things happening now that the snow has mostly thawed in Washington!

New tents
For the last 4 years we’ve camped with a cheap “instant cabin” that was easy to setup but very impractical and poorly made. And for trips without my girls it was not practical. Rather than re-up on a big tent, we went modular and got Gazelle T3 and T4:

View attachment 2687959

This setup will be so practical for my family. My wife and dogs in the orange tent, girls in the green. Or for solo trips I can just take the smaller T3.

Recovery
After nearly failing to self recover in a open snow field earlier this year I finally picked up a second set of maxtrax. For a truck this size you really need 4 boards. And the brand is worth the premium. I’ve witnessed first hand the generic boards snap and chip - but not these.

View attachment 2687961

When all else fails

In the event that I cannot recover, or injured or something worse, a Garmin InReach adds some peace of mind. They recently added more flexible monthly plans making it more practical to justify.

View attachment 2687962

Comms
The batteries on my cheap midland FRS radios where barely holding a charge so trying something new. Picked up a Rocky and other than it not having a clip I really like them. The charge with USB-C and I save battery by not having an always on screen.

View attachment 2687966

Brake refresh
I was up against the wear indicators on the front so decided to refresh everything. There was absolutely life left in the rotors but I find getting them turned very impractical. Very happy with hawk LTS pads and centric coated rotors.

View attachment 2687964

Morrflate
I cant believe that I waited so long to hop on this bandwagon. Absolute game changer.

View attachment 2687973

Odds and ends
No front brake wire springs?

New tents

View attachment 2687959

Recovery

View attachment 2687961

When all else fails

View attachment 2687962

Comms

View attachment 2687966

Brake refresh

View attachment 2687964

Morrflate

View attachment 2687973

Odds and ends

The gazelle stuff is really nice and high quality, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why they don’t use aluminum poles. Even if I doubled the price, it would be comparable to other high end tents. Still, they make great stuff.

On morflate, I am with you. What a nice bit of gear. Seems expensive, but all the components are top-line, and I’m not sure you could replicate it cheaper factoring time. Even though I have a modest compressor, it was great to be able to sit back and not have to babysit each tire.

It’s nice to have it all debugged for sure, and I just looked at that manifold and it’s pretty neat. I might build a v2 with a manifold, but this is an easy 1 hour project either way. Parts are about $100 (Four outlets using a t instead of the manifold)

It’s nice to have it all debugged for sure, and I just looked at that manifold and it’s pretty neat. I might build a v2 with a manifold, but this is an easy 1 hour project either way. Parts are about $100 (Four outlets using a t instead of the manifold)

Yeah, I thought about a DIY, and I have no doubt that you could do it in an hour. Me on the other hand, it took me an hour just to think through all of the parts. On top of all the other projects I’ve had going on the past few months, I decided this was one that I could happily outsource. Plus I like to support the local guys when I can.

Having said all that, I am not sure if it is my tpms or their gauge, but one of them is about 3-4 pounds off. I pulled out my arb gauge and it was off the other direction from my tpms. So at this point I’m not sure which gauge is most accurate, but I am going to try to do some calibration this weekend.

New tents

View attachment 2687959

Recovery

View attachment 2687961

When all else fails

View attachment 2687962

Comms

View attachment 2687966

Brake refresh

View attachment 2687964

Morrflate

View attachment 2687973

Odds and ends
  • Replaced a lug nut on right rear wheel spacer that was starting to get wobbly he
I’ve been within a credit card thickness of throwing down on a Gazelle tent for the last six months, but just haven’t pulled the trigger. Will be looking forward to your impressions. Also, where did you order the tie downs for your Prinsu…they look much beefier than the ones supplied with the rack.
Nice updates👍

I’ve been within a credit card thickness of throwing down on a Gazelle tent for the last six months, but just haven’t pulled the trigger. Will be looking forward to your impressions. Also, where did you order the tie downs for your Prinsu…they look much beefier than the ones supplied with the rack.
Nice updates👍

Hey! They are in fact the prinsu tie downs. I ordered a couple of extra sets.

One thing I’ve noticed is that they will rattle loose. I’ve lost a couple on the trail. I try to make it habit to check them when I air up snd down.

The gazelle stuff is really great. My buddy had one of the big hub tents and it’s been bulletproof. The zippers are beefy, the material is beefy, and I love that they are standup height.

Nice. I have a pre- CBI Prinsu that I bought used from another MUD member, and these are the included tie downs.

85B26846-5D5B-435E-82DD-6FA1E96EE285.jpeg

And after our camping trip this weekend I think I’ve decided to go with the Gazelle. We have a really nice Big Agnes tent, but there’s something really appealing about the rapid setup/ breakdown times for the Gazelle.👍

This week I concluded the 12k mile mud terrain experiment and decided to go back to an AT tire.

View attachment 2603456

If you are a considering a mud-terrain, here's what you'll love:
  • Absolutely velcro-like traction in dirt, mud, clay, rock, and fresh powder. I never ever got stuck with them.
  • Nearly indestructible 3-ply sidewalls.
  • Brutally handsome good looks. Who doesn't like a knobbly sidewall, especially on an understated dad or mom mobile?
  • You'll get a nod of approval from your tire installer.

Here's what you'll compromise on:
  • They will be loud and hum and thrum and different speeds. We just did a road trip to the coast and it was miserable at hour 4.
  • The sidewall is really stiff. Mine were stiff for first 5k miles even after much aired-down use.
  • They absolutely will scare you in in any snow other than powder. Seriously — the factory dunlops would be an improvement.
  • They will be noticeably heaver than a comparable AT.
I don't regret trying the MTs—now I know they aren't for me.
What's your honest take (butt dyno) on the ride of the wild peaks? Good highway manners/noise/water evacuation?

What's your honest take (butt dyno) on the ride of the wild peaks? Good highway manners/noise/water evacuation?

The biggest endorsement I can give you is that this is my second set. They are a great all around tire.

Did you happen to weigh the tundra 5 spokes vs the split TRD spokes? Been looking at those 2 wheel options, why the swap from the 5 spokes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom