Builds Travis’s PNW LX570 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh the Worthingtons are available....for a price. yikes!

unobtaneum right now
I’ve been stalking them for over 6 months!
West marine had them for 220, but has since jacked up the price AND out of stock 🙄

Weboost
I installed a Weboost this weekend. I had originally intended on mounting the mast on the tire carrier but it really wouldn’t clear the tire so I ended up putting it on the accessory panel.

s3qBKCr.jpg

The amp is on the back of my Dobinson’s drawers:

9MzFUdN.jpg

Thankfully no oscillation issues. It was literally plug and play.

I couldn’t leave it alone and ended up remounting the amp using m5 machine screws and nutserts into the back of my drawers. SOLID.

AAD2442F-0349-48DA-829B-DC62CE720E20.jpeg

51F222B8-BF44-40BB-870F-921E43C0AA0F.jpeg

9F91CF63-8073-4391-B134-E514051C9173.jpeg

When I first relocated my camera I stuck it in the pocket for the Jack point because I didn’t really see a better option.

View attachment 2796295

Over time I grew to hate it because it 1) was dorky 2) put the camera at greater risk for damage 3) was off center. This camera is stupid expensive so damaging another would be no bueno.

Well…I set aside a stainless steel bracket from a new range because I couldn’t unsee that it looked like the perfect camera relocation bracket. So I prototyped it up, and by prototyped I mean sat it where I thought should go:

View attachment 2796301

Perfect spot. To hard mount it I drilled some holes though the back of the bumper to hold the bracket, and some rivnuts to mount the camera to the bracket:

View attachment 2796304

Perfect fit! It’s not perfectly centered yet but luckily the holes in the bracket are slotted.

Washington state does require a front plate, so there’s that. I will likely make a magnetic mount that sits below the camera and covers the fairlead. Although not super worried, it’s a secondary offense here…
Be care with a magnetic mount. I ran a few rare earth magnets JB Welded directly to my license plate on my FJ cruiser. Took some serious force to pull it off but I guess a gust caught it just so on a highway blast across UT in some gnarly wind and it came back over the grille, hood, windshield and roof damaging paint and cracking glass as it went.

Last edited:
One last shine

My wife got me a full exterior detail for our wedding anniversary year and was finally able to cash it in.

One might question my sanity for spending money on a paint correction knowing it’s going to go right back on the trail. However my main concern wasn’t the pin stripes, it’s that the paint wasn’t shiny anymore. It was looking very cloudy and had a lot of microswirls.

I had low expectations but the truck turned out amazing:

View attachment 2694732

View attachment 2694734

View attachment 2694736

View attachment 2694737

You are a bad influence btw. I was planning to keep this LX relatively stock, but after a spontaneous trip from Boise to Moab and back and seeing the very recent aftermath of more than 1 gnarly deer strike along the way the wife put her foot down and made me buy a bumper. FYI 25% off sale at Ironman all May. Bumper to my door cost me $1,112.21

You are a bad influence btw. I was planning to keep this LX relatively stock, but after a spontaneous trip from Boise to Moab and back and seeing the very recent aftermath of more than 1 gnarly deer strike along the way the wife put her foot down and made me buy a bumper. FYI 25% off sale at Ironman all May. Bumper to my door cost me $1,112.21
Haha back at you. I still remember when I had a stock LX and you posted about yours on Hells Revenge and I got the bug.

Haha back at you. I still remember when I had a stock LX and you posted about yours on Hells Revenge and I got the bug.

Ha, that seems like an entire lifetime (And entirely different LX) ago. Lucked out on picking up that original 08, it was absolutely mint and the 2008-2011 transfer cases could be put into neutral which allowed us to flat tow it all over the country while we were crazy wandering nomads. Same procedure on our current 2013 does not seem to work.

Funny you post that though, I just got back from Moab. Your truck looks amazing man, one of my favorite builds on here!

Last edited:
Ha, that seems like an entire lifetime (And entirely different LX) ago. Lucked out on picking up that original 08, it was absolutely mint and the 2008-2011 transfer cases could be put into neutral which allowed us to flat tow it all over the country while we were crazy wandering nomads. Same procedure on our current 2013 does not seem to work.

Funny you post that though, I just got back from Moab. Your tuck looks amazing man, one of my favorite builds on here!
Thank you!!!

It’s finally warm / dry enough to camp with the family in Washington, and lots of new improvements to try out in our latest iteration of "camp."

First, I love having a bumper and dual swing outs. The extra 15 seconds it takes to open for everyday use is totally worth it.

38D42CF4-DBD4-4093-B55F-D5A0061BB7D1.jpeg

Aside from hanging the spare it’s allowed me to get the maxtrax off the roof which not only free up space but are so much more convenient to access.

Next, trasharoo x 2. Aside from making me instantly recognizable as an annoying overlander, they are like giant backpacks. Not for just trash - firewood, chairs, dirty boots, anything mucky you don’t want inside. If one is awesome, two is more awesome.

Inside the accessory panel is the perfect spot for a water or fuel can:

165E2305-804B-436E-8A67-74661DD53752.jpeg

I also replaced my Coleman dual burner stove with a GSI Pinnacle. GSI announced the pinnacle pre-pandemic and then it took them two years to start shipping. Totally worth the wait:

2F31A7D7-4C1C-48BF-9D67-BAE79BB425AA.jpeg

It stows to only a inch thick and is incredibly precisely made. And the burners are really, really good.

IMG_5315.JPG

For setting up base camp, last year I abandoned our "instant cabin" 9-person tent for a Gazelle T-3 and T4 tent—the thinking is that for solo trips I can use the T3 and when the whole family goes, my quickly growing-up daughters can use it and my wife and I get the palatial T4:

IMG_5355.JPG

For sleeping, we grabbed a pair of Exped MegaMat 10's from REI. With the coupon and memorial day sale, we basically got one fro free. We also typically pitch the awning that I got from @raincityrider and throw up a couple of hammocks for the girls:

IMG_5366.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

IMG_5357.JPG

I've been to this spot many times and it's not exactly hidden but I've never had to compete for it. The sun was fleeting — but for 24 hours it was everything I love about living in Washington.

q0eb7PZ.jpg

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5368.jpg

This week I completed a substantial electrical upgrade and installed a lithium house battery and carplay.

It's been about 8 weeks since I installed my Grom VLine2 and wanted to share some thoughts and tips.

IMG_6784.JPG

The pros:
Having CarPlay is a game changer. Even with the 2008-era 800x600 non-multi-touch screen, it totally modernizes the truck and makes long trips much more enjoyable.

Challenges:
Considering that this is a total hack, I knew that it wouldn't be perfect. The second week after i installed the grom, it just stopped working. The unit was on, my phone would pair, but I could not switch to it via inputs. And my XM stopped working. I went through a bunch of hoops with Grom support — who were responsive and friendly btw. They had me try to unplug, replug, disconnect the battery, install a logger and send them a dump, and even sent me a new chipset module to plug into the mother board. Ultimately a new cable fixed it — but it certainly was annoying to go back and forth for 2 weeks and keep taking apart my dash.

Tips and tricks:
First, the way the LX works from the factory is weird, at least on my 2008. If you have the cameras set to auto, when they come on and turn off, the multimedia system completely ignores what the previous screen was. In fact you can't even keep it on radio, it will always return to map. This creates an extra click with the Grom. If the camera comes on (including reverse), you'll have to manually switch back to the Grom input. You can save some steps by disabling the front/side camera form automatically coming on.

Bluetooth wireless CarPlay works great 94% of the time. But wired worked 100% of the time, and it's less laggy and faster to come on. Occasionally my wireless CarPlay would disconnect, and while it would recover it took what seemed like forever. I ended up installing a surface mount USB extension socked in the console.

IMG_6783.JPG

Note this is a flush mount socket, or is supposed to be. In typical fashion, I drilled first and planned second. Just below this spot is where the plastic card that moves along with the gear selector. It extends about 50% more than the gear slot and would interfere with my socket. So I ended up using this "stand off" to decrease the depth of the socket under the surface and still ended up trimming the plastic card a bit. For future installers, the right side of this rubber mat is 100% unobstructed. I should have stayed right lol.

It's been about 8 weeks since I installed my Grom VLine2 and wanted to share some thoughts and tips...

Awesome, thanks for posting this! I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on the VLine2 for a long time...and now I'm STILL on the fence about it! One question - why do you say this is a total hack? Grom lists the 08 LX570 as a compatible vehicle for the VLine2.

Awesome, thanks for posting this! I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on the VLine2 for a long time...and now I'm STILL on the fence about it! One question - why do you say this is a total hack? Grom lists the 08 LX570 as a compatible vehicle for the VLine2.

Its a 12v computer running android that works by tricking the 15 year-old infotainment system that it's just a CD changer. It then acts an an intermediary between the audio system and the display and intercepts events from the display and the hard buttons on the center stack. Within the Grom unit itself, you have CarPlay running inside an emulator inside of Android in between your infotainment system.

I mean hack in the general sense of the word.

Method 501s
October is when I get my annual bonus at work and historically it's when I buy the big stuff, for example: tires (first set), more tires (second set), bumpers, and more bumpers. This year is no different, although with no big armor to buy, no big checks to Slee, Ironman, or Dissent.

First, for no other reason other than I wanted them—I bought 5 new Method 501 18x9 25mm offset wheels. It was kind of cool, I've only had junkyard wheels on this truck.

IMG_0195.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg

I bought these direct from Method and had them installed at my local Discount tire. There is still a few mm left between my 295s and the front body mount but it's definitely tighter.

New headlights
Second thing, new OEM headlights. My originals were trashed, way beyond polishing. New units are super expensive because the assembly includes all of the AFS servos etc. However when you see them side by side, it's all worth it:
IMG_0229.JPG

While I was in there, I removed my Hikari H11 low beams and did an HID retrofit. I ordered the 35w Xenon Depot XD kit with Philips bulbs. Install was straight forward.

IMG_0186.JPG

The output on these is so much better, and more importantly, even. The Hikari's were super bright in front and then trailed off quickly.

IMG_0236.JPG

Nothing super interesting of note for installation except that I had to pull off basically everything up front including my winch pack. Having a bullbar made it both easier in harder if that makes sense.

IMG_0228.JPG

The kit comes with a grommet for the pass through and I just drilled a 1" hole through the dust cap and liberally siliconed it. The ballasts and igniters are double-sided taped where I could fit them, however I did learn after the fact there this is a spot on the bottom of the light assembly for a ballast. Would have been tidy but I ain't pulling them out.

Last thing, I was thinking about @CharlieS 's post about yellow / amber fog lights and decided to give LaminX film a try. This stuff is super easy and forgiving if you do a wet install. I dont think I'll get rich yellow like my baja squadrons, but it will be nice to have warmer light that's closer to my HIDs.

Here is the whole facelift after a wash and opti-seal on the lights:

lm4aYqg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom