Builds Travis’s PNW LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking forward to some reports on the new shoes!

Impressions so far are positive. Going in eyes wide open, I knew there would be compromises going with an aggressive 3-ply sidewall tire.
  • Grip is confidence inspiring. Cooper uses a softer silica based compound and they have great traction
  • I expected to feel the lugs but I don’t
  • Tire is loudest 30-40mph. After that I hear only the slightest hum and wind noise
  • Tire is noticeably firmer. However I do expect that to change. My buddy had STT Pros on his GX and they felt great after “break in”

Ive got a camping trip in the Cascades as the end of April and expect to encounter a little bit of everything. I’m excited to see what they have to offer.

Last edited:
ARB Dual
Picked up some @TRAIL TAILOR front and rear recovery points. These things look like ribeyes.

cUpWdN1.jpg

OxSMshk.jpg

I also installed a @sleeoffroad compressor mount and ARB twin. Didnt get any interesting after photos, but trust me, it’s in there :)

qy53Sfz.jpg

As always, Slee quality is top notch.

I put about 60 miles of dirt and mud and gravel on the STT pros this weekend and it was awesome. They are like velcro in the dirt and rode great at 18 psi.
7nrnXV8.jpg

I also had extended time at highway speeds and noticed that the tires are loudest at 60-65mph but are tame otherwise.

Super stoked!

I also installed a @sleeoffroad compressor mount and ARB twin. Didnt get any interesting after photos, but trust me, it’s in there :)

qy53Sfz.jpg

As always, Slee quality is top notch.
Looks great. How was the compressor and mount install? Did you have to make room for it?

Looks great. How was the compressor and mount install? Did you have to make room for it?

It’s very easy. There are some relays that have to move but the Slee bracket has all of the hardware required.

Were you able to reinstall the engine cover?

The engine covers cannot fit without modification. I had originally cut a hole out for the air-hose quick-disconnect, eventually ended up cutting a part of my cover right off.
Looks like you could have just installed the button somewhere else and kept the entire panel less the hole for the connect (or rerouted the connect and avoided cutting? and the hood contact?).

Looks like you could have just installed the button somewhere else and kept the entire panel less the hole for the connect (or rerouted the connect and avoided cutting? and the hood contact?).

Potentially, but I think there were also some clearance issues right where the cover meets the fender; same spot the ARB/bracket sits.

The panels aren't worth the hassle IMO 🤷‍♂️

Baja Designs Squadron SAW
I followed @eatSleepWoof ’s lead and installed a pair of Baja Design squadron pro SAE fogs this weekend.

Overall this is a 1banana job but I did hit a snag. The passenger side mount looked like it had been at the bottom of the ocean. All of the tiny screws were rusted on. I ended up pulling the whole assembly from the bumper cover and drilling out the screws. It took a stupid amount of time.

While I was at it I also de-blinged the chrome rings with some duplicolor epoxy spray paint. Gloss back because that’s how I like it.

Super happy so far. Here are some poser driveway shots:
LLkhjrb.jpg

8H6hSbR.jpg

I don’t know @eatSleepWoof in real life but it seems we have similar tastes!

7iG29GG.jpg

Great looking GSD! And I love the gloss black rings around the fogs. I've been wanting to get rid of most of my Chrome, too.

Looking good (both the Shepherd and the BD lights :)). How's the performance? Does it actually help in fog? we get a lot of foggy/snow stormy nights up here, I wonder how much this would increase visibility.

Looking good (both the Shepherd and the BD lights :)). How's the performance? Does it actually help in fog? we get a lot of foggy/snow stormy nights up here, I wonder how much this would increase visibility.

I really like them. I previously had Hikari H11 LEDs in the stock housing and while they were bright, they were just throwing light everywhere. The BD have a much wider, focused pattern. The yellow adds much needed contrast to my pure white LED low beams.

I followed @eatSleepWoof ’s lead and installed a pair of Baja Design squadron pro SAE fogs this weekend.

Overall this is a 1banana job but I did hit a snag. The passenger side mount looked like it had been at the bottom of the ocean. All of the tiny screws were rusted on. I ended up pulling the whole assembly from the bumper cover and drilling out the screws. It took a stupid amount of time.

While I was at it I also de-blinged the chrome rings with some duplicolor epoxy spray paint. Gloss back because that’s how I like it.

Super happy so far. Here are some poser driveway shots:
LLkhjrb.jpg

8H6hSbR.jpg

I don’t know @eatSleepWoof in real life but it seems we have similar tastes!

7iG29GG.jpg
Did you take the rings out to paint them or just paint them installed?

Did you take the rings out to paint them or just paint them installed?

They just pop off. I used a plastic trim tool. Unclear if the paint will hold up over time. I will wrap them if it doesn't.

Last edited:
I think the 570 is probably the best turn-key, no compromise off-roader that you can buy. Just add tires and you’ve got a luxo barge that can do it all.

That being said, the pressure to maintain this truck as a daily is quite high. Every mod is scrutinized so as not to compromise the daily commute. Every trail choice is made to keep the shiny parts shiny.

So today I relieved some of that pressure by picking up what is in my opinion, the greatest car Lexus has ever built:

qyW0ZM8.jpg

It’s a 2005 LS430. 103k (!!). Zero deferred maintenance. The PO spent $3100 less than a year ago for TB, bushings, fluids etc etc etc. I’ve got a stack of records. This thing is buttery smooth and library quiet.

I don’t have and immediate plans for the 570 yet, but now that I don’t have to daily to down town Seattle a rear swing out is a lot more realistic.

Since I’m not driving the 570 every day I wanted to protect the battery in the event that it sits for a couple of weeks. This week in installed a Noco Genius single bank 4 amp onboard charger.

tYPvoBB.jpg

It’s pretty uncomplicated. Works as expected.

lQzoCAN.jpg

I don’t love the mounting location to be honest. With my ARB fridge hard wire, compressor, and now the NOCO my terminals are pretty messy.

Would love advice on how to clean this up. I’m familiar with the blue sea panels, but to my understanding, the compressor would exceed the max current.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom