TLC 1997 TOYOTA FZJ80 LAND CRUISER $225K (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s interesting the dichotomy between perceived value of an object vs. it‘s advertised/marketed value. Not even getting into period correctness, aesthetics, design choices, engineering choices.

How do we know this truck exists?

Has anyone seen it?

Is the article referenced merely an advertisement? who is the person posting? What value is there of posting a vehicle that is 100% out of the buying realm of 99% or Land Cruiser owners? Who are the people paying $250,000.00 for an 80 series? Would we want to be their friend? What if, in fact, we are their friends— whether we know it or not?

I know plenty of people with the disposable income to pay $250K for a vintage truck, but they don’t. They build a vacation home for their family to commune; They fund an endowed professorship or a foundation; they give to their church or house of worship; they buy a boat or a fleet of snow mobiles so they can take their family and friends out on snow mobile adventures; they buy planes; they invest; they give to the homeless;

You can see where this is going.

I’ve become suspect of most of what I see out side of MUD when it comes to veracity about Land Cruisers.
There are bots trolling right now sifting information from this site— data analytics, technical information, biographical information, pictures, documents, etc. Basically getting more information for click bait articles that accentuate the extremes of the Land Cruiser spectrum. It’s meant to do that; these are algorithms. Most information outside of vetted sources are either entirely bogus and erroneous or merely placed in a person‘s feed to sell something.

This is an enthusiast site, sure, but don’t forget this is the most comprehensive knowledge base of Land Cruiser technical information and technical truth in the world, on the internet— outside of the archives of Toyota Auto Body/ARACO/GIFU/Arakawa Auto Body and Toyota Motor Corporation themselves.

There are people on this site with 20/30/40/50 years of intimate knowledge about Land Cruisers and their entire world. Do not discount the power of information transformed into a coherent narrative.

So yeah, this truck is expensive from the point of view of detail and power plant and other things;

But in the end, it is an object and a commodity with a value— a value that is relative based on purely economic means, in the end. And the people running the show— advertisers, marketers, companies, influencer, opinion holders, “journalists,” widget builders, etc., know this.

It’s interesting the dichotomy between perceived value of an object vs. it‘s advertised/marketed value. Not even getting into period correctness, aesthetics, design choices, engineering choices.

How do we know this truck exists?

Has anyone seen it?

Is the article referenced merely an advertisement? who is the person posting? What value is there of posting a vehicle that is 100% out of the buying realm of 99% or Land Cruiser owners? Who are the people paying $250,000.00 for an 80 series? Would we want to be their friend? What if, in fact, we are their friends— whether we know it or not?

I know plenty of people with the disposable income to pay $250K for a vintage truck, but they don’t. They build a vacation home for their family to commune; They fund an endowed professorship or a foundation; they give to their church or house of worship; they buy a boat or a fleet of snow mobiles so they can take their family and friends out on snow mobile adventures; they buy planes; they invest; they give to the homeless;

You can see where this is going.

I’ve become suspect of most of what I see out side of MUD when it comes to veracity about Land Cruisers.
There are bots trolling right now sifting information from this site— data analytics, technical information, biographical information, pictures, documents, etc. Basically getting more information for click bait articles that accentuate the extremes of the Land Cruiser spectrum. It’s meant to do that; these are algorithms. Most information outside of vetted sources are either entirely bogus and erroneous or merely placed in a person‘s feed to sell something.

This is an enthusiast site, sure, but don’t forget this is the most comprehensive knowledge base of Land Cruiser technical information and technical truth in the world, on the internet— outside of the archives of Toyota Auto Body/ARACO/GIFU/Arakawa Auto Body and Toyota Motor Corporation themselves.

There are people on this site with 20/30/40/50 years of intimate knowledge about Land Cruisers and their entire world. Do not discount the power of information transformed into a coherent narrative.

So yeah, this truck is expensive from the point of view of detail and power plant and other things;

But in the end, it is an object and a commodity with a value— a value that is relative based on purely economic means, in the end. And the people running the show— advertisers, marketers, companies, influencer, opinion holders, “journalists,” widget builders, etc., know this.
That's an interesting perspective that has validity.

After all, look at the number of photos of large breasted women with six fingers that we have clicked "like" in the last six months.

How many people need a woman with six fingers?

My guess is it’s a stage 3 restoration, so literally torn down to body off frame with every bolt checked and replaced (or so they claim they do with stage 3). I’m sure the labor and parts come out to a lot of money, but that doesn’t mean anyone should pay 200k for a “new” 80 series… but like others have said, if you’ve got that money then it probably isn’t “too much.”

I’d rather have a home…
This is not the TLC of old. Jonathan sold that company to a different company in NC. I would be weary to associate the quality of the old TLC with the new TLC until we are proven differently.....

It’s interesting the dichotomy between perceived value of an object vs. it‘s advertised/marketed value. Not even getting into period correctness, aesthetics, design choices, engineering choices…
Very well said on everything! Definitely got me to think a little more broadly on “value” in terms of what comes across my feeds

That's an interesting perspective that has validity.

After all, look at the number of photos of large breasted women with six fingers that we have clicked "like" in the last six months.

How many people need a woman with six fingers?
What I do with that extra digit is between me and six-finger sally

Interestingly I read an article about a company that created a female influencer because all the real people were asking for too much money. That account alone makes over 10k a month and it’s literally a fake person peddling brands online… the world is wild.

Then imagine how many bots are contributing to the data analytics of who sees the posts… one big self licking ice cream cone all the way down

This is not the TLC of old. Jonathan sold that company to a different company in NC. I would be weary to associate the quality of the old TLC with the new TLC until we are proven differently.....
I was wondering about that when I saw North Carolina! Didn’t know that

Doesn't seem like he sold it as of this video a year ago. He just relocated the TLC brand.

I actually reached out to him when I was looking for a career change about nine years ago and suggested that I open an Austin, TX branch of Icon/TLC to help him diversify from Chatsworth, CA. He very politely gave me the Heisman.

They might be genius though. Slap stupid price on vehicle, goes viral, gets free advertising to their business. Some richy richy kid offers 100k and they sell it for double what they originally knew it was worth. Rich kid brags about the deal they got. All is well.

Ass for every seat... All relative.

$250K for a bespoke truck (regardless of what an audience thinks of the design choices) is pocket change for some people who want a $250K experience. :meh:
3a81b29670df672d0b963548cda6b0b1.jpg

I'd take the Joe Rogan Landcruiser over that anyday. Not sure what he spent.

I'm getting curious to see some pictures of this chick with the big knockers and six fingers.

View attachment 3537527
I'd take the Joe Rogan Landcruiser over that anyday. Not sure what he spent.

Those tires are so cute!

@OGBeno Great rant/perspective, as always. I think another point is this comes as an example of a community built around keeping old Cruisers running (true sustainability, moreso than any electronic car) from a place of passion and care, only to be commodified and marketed to rich people who don't want to do the work. TL;DR "bought not built." Lots of companies from FJCO (who do a wonderful job) to TLC/Icon, etc. make money off these VC tech bros with money to burn and immensely insecure personalities that in the same vein as Fight Club (the book, not the movie) have to latch their deflated ego (in the Jungian sense) to a product to feel complete.

Not to change the subject off of landcruisers but did anyone see how much Carrol Shelby personal Cobra sold for?

Let the free market do its thing. Do what makes you happy.

I’m happy with my 304K mile 80 that was worked on by a smattering of local-to-me shops using as many new OEM parts as reasonably possible within my budget.

My ih8 data will show I curated the sourcing and purchase of OEM parts. Every. Single. Bolt. Nut. Shaft. Everything.

If I had a quarter mill usd to blow, it wouldn’t be on a Frankenstein Toyota with non-Toyota parts.

Last edited:
Based on the Youtube video Ward did on Rogan’s 80-series I’m going to guess about the same if not more.
Yeah, the stage three restorations can go above $250k, :bounce:
But I like this one more than his, fwiw.

I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth. I’ll keep my 247K mile family heirloom with all its bumps and bruises.

Last edited:
I wondered about this because TLC used to be based in SoCal correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom