Builds The Warthog v4.4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@wngrog

What problems are you running into when adjusting the valves? I had to adjust my valves, several times, within the past two years that I have had my 40 due to poor maintenance done by the PO ; so the process has been ingrained into my brain pretty well. Maybe I could be of some help. :)

Part of the new cam break in process is to adjust the valves.

They sounded great when I began the process but now I’ll do, what I think, is a correct valve adjustment procedure. Fire it up.

Check them again only for them to be loose.

I’m going to start back with a fresh head and body in the morning.

The best part is that I don’t have a driveshaft until later today so I can’t go drive it until I get it right.

Valves coming out of adjustment maybe a sign of bent push-rods. Even slightly bent can cause issues. (ask me how I know)

I can't wrap my brain around how you are getting away with a stock fuel pump. Do you have an electric pump as well? Or just that surge thingy? I just finished with a sniper install myself and am loving it.

Does it just suck the hell out of the fuel? or? I just blew out a plastic fuel filter on my sniper kit due to the high pressure. I didn't think it was that high.

Valves coming out of adjustment maybe a sign of bent push-rods. Even slightly bent can cause issues. (ask me how I know)

I can't wrap my brain around how you are getting away with a stock fuel pump. Do you have an electric pump as well? Or just that surge thingy? I just finished with a sniper install myself and am loving it.

Does it just suck the hell out of the fuel? or? I just blew out a plastic fuel filter on my sniper kit due to the high pressure. I didn't think it was that high.

He’s got brand new straight pushrods.
I think some/all of the valves just got adjusted out of phase. We’re going to get it straightened out!

On the Surge thing, the stock fuel pump puts out more than enough fuel to run the 2F wide open at full load (regardless of fuel injection or carb). In this case, the stock mechanical pump fills the surge tank, and any excess flows back to the tank.

The pump inside the Surge pumps fuel from the Surge tank to the Sniper at high pressure, and the Sniper returns the extra fuel to the Surge tank.

So the pump inside the Surge recirculates fuel within the fuel injection system, and the mechanical pump keeps the Surge full.

It’s complicated at first glance, but does make it easy to add to a stock tank/fuel system.

He’s got brand new straight pushrods.
I think some/all of the valves just got adjusted out of phase. We’re going to get it straightened out!

On the Surge thing, the stock fuel pump puts out more than enough fuel to run the 2F wide open at full load (regardless of fuel injection or carb). In this case, the stock mechanical pump fills the surge tank, and any excess flows back to the tank.

The pump inside the Surge pumps fuel from the Surge tank to the Sniper at high pressure, and the Sniper returns the extra fuel to the Surge tank.

So the pump inside the Surge recirculates fuel within the fuel injection system, and the mechanical pump keeps the Surge full.

It’s complicated at first glance, but does make it easy to add to a stock tank/fuel system.

OK that makes sense. I didn't think the stock fuel pump could keep up. I guess I mixed up pressure with volume. As the stock pump is like 4 psi or something... And the fuel pump for the sniper runs at around 60psi ish...

Using the stock pump would also eliminate any noise from an electric pump... I like it! You mentioned the surge tank is quite... I may go this route in the future...

How are you controlling the timing of charcoal canister purge? Stock system used electronics and vacuum valves of course. I don't see that that canister has the control valve in it, some Delco canisters do. Search my past posts, I detail a way to use a simple Delco vacuum valve (DEM CV10039) tied to ported vacuum that will only let the canister purge when off idle. Otherwise carb or injection, the added vapors will throw off the idle mixture. Don't know if the sniper can account for it or not, depends how it controls idle.

The vacuum valve that vents the vapors on the cap of an FJ60 distributor works the same way, but costs alot more. Simply they only open when vacuum is applied to one port of three.

How are you controlling the timing of charcoal canister purge? Stock system used electronics and vacuum valves of course. I don't see that that canister has the control valve in it, some Delco canisters do. Search my past posts, I detail a way to use a simple Delco vacuum valve (DEM CV10039) tied to ported vacuum that will only let the canister purge when off idle. Otherwise carb or injection, the added vapors will throw off the idle mixture. Don't know if the sniper can account for it or not, depends how it controls idle.

The vacuum valve that vents the vapors on the cap of an FJ60 distributor works the same way, but costs alot more. Simply they only open when vacuum is applied to one port of three.

I really don’t know if I’m doing it right but I am going from the vacuum at the base of the carb isolator to the charcoal canister.

I need to re-do the one on My FJ60 so I’ll be reading up on your valve. Thanks

The test drive went very well. The truck has a nice powerband. I can feel acceleration in 5th gear from 50-70...

We drove it to the gas station and added $100 of non-ethanol

40B3B574-1747-4A85-9E6C-D6F8329A2505.jpeg

797CF2AD-D374-4616-95EE-C479EB730056.jpeg

I was able to get the garage cleaned up and the Warthog backed in. Tomorrow I’ll chase down leaks and such. Hopefully I’ll get it all done for some serous driving on Sunday

0104228C-0FB5-4363-8C5F-D2ABD3112B7B.jpeg

Takes most of us 3-5 years to do what you’ve done over one winter.

That’s one awesome rig!! 40 gallons of fuel is crazy also, I’m pushing it to squeeze in 11-12 gallons.

Takes most of us 3-5 years to do what you’ve done over one winter.

That’s one awesome rig!! 40 gallons of fuel is crazy also, I’m pushing it to squeeze in 11-12 gallons.

Thank you! It’s 54 gallons I think but who’s counting??

Thank you! It’s 54 gallons I think but who’s counting??

Holy smokes, 54 gallons!!!! I could spend weeks driving around in the mountains!!!

Holy smokes, 54 gallons!!!! I could spend weeks driving around in the mountains!!!

I’m pissed I’ve got to add all those leafs back into my rear springs

I’m pissed I’ve got to add all those leafs back into my rear springs

I’ve got a stack of those on the rear of my 40 as well.

Day 2 shakedown.....

I started off pulling my radiator out and reworking my radiator hoses and clamps. I had leaks all over the place.

78EEA26D-C354-4A29-B33F-38127F19CA29.jpeg

Cleaned up my junction pipe. Added some OEM clamps where I was using some aftermarket ones.

Only real screwup was when I put it all back together and forgot the fan.

If you have a Pig this is the lower hose via @cruisercorps

0FAB681C-9122-45B6-A1C3-2095F8F672F2.jpeg

That’s a bozo move......

016C274B-85D0-4B47-8FB9-0560603D468C.jpeg

Next....seatbelts. Done.

I added a spring to the back side of my throttle cable bracket. The lokar bracket is held on by one “carb” stud and does not have the “foot” to keep it from moving.

Now to drive....

C73F8CDF-D557-4419-8D7F-372CB915EAAE.jpeg

How is the acoustic and thermal insulation working?

Unreal. This truck is so quiet now I’m blown away.

The fan clutch was a big help too

I put about 30 hard miles on it on around the north part of my county. Dirt and rough pavement.

The full fuel tank is back there. I can feel it. I’ll likely have to add all those leafs back that I took out.

Rides smooth but it floats some.

BA8F0E08-7514-4B48-BC43-F9D1BCBEBD55.jpeg

27E6B902-DC16-4F5F-816B-069C9D964BFE.jpeg

I turned toward home and tried to get some videos of some hard pulls. I had been doing some clutch dumps on the gravel roads to see how it felt. It broke loose nicely but with all that gas back there it settled fast and hooked up.

This video was the 4th or 5th of the sort but this was the first that transitioned to pavement and it did not go well.

The noise you hear is the fan hitting the shroud after I smoked the driver side motor mount (new, small square type) from the torque, weight and traction.

Seeing that this truck is nowhere near heavy enough, I added the new “Warren Wench” this morning.

I’m loving the clean look of the new bumper setup.

73F639A1-479F-4000-80A8-EED82EE5F065.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom