Builds The Warthog v4.4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks a million @USMC22 for coming up and helping today. This was the first Sniper for both of us.

What an amazingly simple product. A+

Also the Robbie MAC PowerSurge is quiet as a mouse. THAT I’m really stoked about

Curious is the new bellhousing a 3F and what is the plan for the rear engine crossmember. Not sure how Toyota handled the crossmember change with the 3F bellhousing rotation. The 10/85. Is the date of the H55F with front bearing retainer change. The 3F bellhousing started earlier in other markets and 4/85 here so all 3F bellhousings clock the transmission.

Curious is the new bellhousing a 3F and what is the plan for the rear engine crossmember. Not sure how Toyota handled the crossmember change with the 3F bellhousing rotation. The 10/85. Is the date of the H55F with front bearing retainer change. The 3F bellhousing started earlier in other markets and 4/85 here so all 3F bellhousings clock the transmission.

I am using a Pre-85 FJ60 Bellhousing. I also used the matching Pre-85 Rear Crossmember.......I had to weld in the outer pieces of the 3 piece rear crossmember. If I was willing to pull the drivetrain back out after stabbing it, I could have used Rivnuts but I can get it out if I need to by unbolting the rear motor mount and crossmember.

@orangefj45 clearances the bell housing for the H55....its covered a few pages back by him.

I am using a Pre-85 FJ60 Bellhousing. I also used the matching Pre-85 Rear Crossmember.......I had to weld in the outer pieces of the 3 piece rear crossmember. If I was willing to pull the drivetrain back out after stabbing it, I could have used Rivnuts but I can get it out if I need to by unbolting the rear motor mount and crossmember.

@orangefj45 clearances the bell housing for the H55....its covered a few pages back by him.

Guess I missed the part where Georg was modifying the bellhousing verses the one from 10/85+ that would already have clearance for the oil passages. Doing a little searching while the H55F changed 10/85 it looks like our H42 didn't change until 4/86. 4/86-7/87 is a short period to find a bellhousing from a late FJ60 hard to do. Plus they will all be rotated.

And then the small stuff starts again.

The sniper has provisions for a rod to hold air cleaner.

I got 1/4” - 20 all thread. That end fits into the Sniper and then I ran an M6-1.00 down one end to use the OEM wingnut

032AB020-383D-4FDB-9942-4BAAA558052E.jpeg

4B7AEBB4-7BE0-4A43-A39F-79ABCC93AF46.jpeg

PowerSurge

More pics of the PowerSurge routing

Small line coming in from the left is from the tried and true OEM mechanical pump. I have a stock OEM FJ60 fuel filter onnthe frame before the mechanical pump.

I bent the hard line after it passed the front of the valve cover to point at the PowerSurge.

Middle large 3/8” line is the feed for the Sniper. I have an in-line Earl’s 10 micron filter here. P/N 731166ERL going to an Earls 45* 3/8” fitting on the input.

Bottom 3/8” line is the return from the Sniper to the PowerSurge. I used an Earls 90* fitting at the Sniper to keep the line off the hot engine and over the OEM carb heat isolator

Finally, the top small line leaves the PowerSurge and heads along the firewall to the stock return line. It can be seen in the picture below along the top

This pic shows the tight packaging. As you can see I also added a Delco charcoal canister. I’m pulling vacuum for this from the OEM 90* on the carb isolator.

Small tech tip there. It’s turned up stock. You need to rotate it 180* and reseal it when you are installing the TBI or you won’t be able to use it.

Parking the project for a few days. Headed out of town for Spring Break with the kids.

I should have a rear driveshaft by the time I get back.

Ordered a new bypass hose since mine is leaking.

I messed with the valves today after the cam break-in. I made them worse. Frustrating.

I will drive it in a week for sure. I need a break from it.

Costa Rica bound.

F62DF1D4-ABDC-4533-BFC1-331D561A96BD.jpeg

Curious as to what made you decide to go with the DUI distributor versus the OEM one? In the process of building my 4.4 with the Holley Sniper system and had planned to utilize a recurved OEM distributor.

Curious as to what made you decide to go with the DUI distributor versus the OEM one? In the process of building my 4.4 with the Holley Sniper system and had planned to utilize a recurved OEM distributor.

One reason is that my recurved JimC dissy is not proper for this setup (late 2F) mine was a late points model for a 1977.

Also, I really like the DUI. I have them on my 40 and 60. I’ve never had an issue with one.

Also, you get to lose the ignitor and coil. Just one more set of old things replaced with new things.

One reason is that my recurved JimC dissy is not proper for this setup (late 2F) mine was a late points model for a 1977.

Also, I really like the DUI. I have them on my 40 and 60. I’ve never had an issue with one.

Also, you get to lose the ignitor and coil. Just one more set of old things replaced with new things.

Nice. I had looked at them but kind of stopped researching after seeing that the stock dizzy would work fine. I'm wanting to clean up my engine bay as much as possible with this rebuild so the ability to delete even more stuff (ignitor and coil) has me wanting to eye getting one.

So the JimC large cap recurved dizzy for my late model 2f (~86ish) would work fine with the Sniper...don't know why I am procrastinating and don't just buy the damn thing!

Really digging the surge tank deal as it keeps the stock mechanical pump.

All electronic distributors are not the same. Davis Unified are made in Memphis and are great units. Get the Live Wires too.

I was looking at the ones from Performance Distributors. That the right one?

So the JimC large cap recurved dizzy for my late model 2f (~86ish) would work fine with the Sniper...don't know why I am procrastinating and don't just buy the damn thing!

Really digging the surge tank deal as it keeps the stock mechanical pump.

Yep. It’s a great distributor.

Home finally. Gotta get this Warthog on the road tomorrow or I might die.

Got the Smittybuilt console installed. Fits great. Cheap.

E4B3C196-2CC9-418C-9307-76E1A6323B95.jpeg

CEBA6A1F-1D71-40FB-9BCD-BC4DC5BF9905.jpeg

I got the bypass hose replaced. Leaks are gone.

Took another stab at the valves and I’m still doing something wrong. Gonna get some help tomorrow.

329BC07D-C4FC-4FB5-8D8C-3DEBC496E5CC.jpeg

949BD0DB-906C-4401-A476-14CF06203400.jpeg

D02DCA71-1358-4B49-AD45-60A3A350D8A2.jpeg

No idea what I’m doimg wrong.

@wngrog

What problems are you running into when adjusting the valves? I had to adjust my valves, several times, within the past two years that I have had my 40 due to poor maintenance done by the PO ; so the process has been ingrained into my brain pretty well. Maybe I could be of some help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom