The Great Oil Debate Synthetic, Semi, or Traditional (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm at my sometime mechanic / Toyota Guru talking about changing my ac compressor when I ask a very simple question. That question it seems is one of great debate. You see I'll be removing the oil filter to get the compressor out and wanted to make sure I had a quart or two on hand to top off after the job and to just generally keep in the rig. It has a very, very, small weep at the value cover (#9 on the baseline to do list). I say to him "hey what oil did you use in the last oil change?" Paul has been consulting me and wrenching the stuff I can't do or don't have the time for - example, I'm doing the compressor he is doing the vacuum and adding of refrigerant. He looked up like a man possessed and said "I use what Toyota says to use!" Feeling I had hit a nerve I slowly backed out of the garage and remarked "ok then OEM it is." I failed to ask if he had switched to synthetic or semi or if he was using a traditional oil. Paul is real obsessive compulsive kind of guy so I would imagine he doesn't deviate from the traditional 5/30 company line. I've heard of folks causing damage if switching back and forth from traditional to synthetic so I just a soon stay with the traditional oil recommendation. It's also cheaper. My interval will be 3k. In the meantime I'd love to hear the groups two cents on this topic. It seems to be a hot one among the group. My rig has 238K on the clock, fresh timing belt, H20 pump, new M1 Synthetic in the diffs w/ ongoing baseline. I will primarily use as a weekend tow vehicle - keeping the milage down, I work from home and have other DD options.

I use Rotella gas truck 5W30. I saw a Project Farm video and it tested extremely well. It is priced very well at Walmart, where I can also get Toyota filters.

I change every 5k miles, although, based on others oil testing with synthetic I could probably double that. I drive ~15k miles a year.

There is no question that fully synthetic is better than regular oil in every way except perhaps price. You can debate the price question though since you can run synthetic safely 2x or 3x longer than regular oil. People generally don’t use regular oil in their vehicles in the rest of the world these days.

Toyota dealerships use bulk oil 5W-30 for the 4,7L. Unless customer request synthetic, which they than use Mobil 1.

Exon Mobil makes most Toyota fluids like ATF WS.

Perhaps your mechanic was thinking, you're asking about the oil in the AC compressor. Toyota Compressor come pre-filled with oil.

With a bazillion or more miles across the 2UZ engines produced over its lifespan, I think Dino vs synthetic vs blend would have shown some traceable trends by now.

Thankfully, these aren't S65/S85 BMW engines that require molasses for lubrication, and need to be up to temp to be used as designed without worry of damage.

How long would you run synthetic oil in a low mileage application? 1 year? Assume oil is brought to Temp each drive? 1000-2000 miles / year.

@2001LC

The 2UZ-FE is notably 'easy' on oil and generally a cool running engine.

If a person chooses to run a semi or full synthetic.........I would expect oil changes to only be needed every 8-10 miles depending on use.

I change mine every 6-7K.....but I'm admittedly obsessive about maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom