Builds Spyduh's Crawler80 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those wheels a super nice. Get out the sawzall....
Yea I know where they going to rubbbbbbb already.

grxW6ZA.gif

buddy came over yesterday and helped me for a short time and we popped the bead off with the hilift. Took 3 rotations to break that sucker and a lot of windex, jumping, pry bar and sledge hammer action to unseat the back bead about 20 minutes. Removed the used tire off the rim (5mins) and then throw the new Kanati on (5mins). All that in about 30mins with 2 people for 1 single tire. I did not attach the ring yet and will try and do that later if I have time. Otherwise 3 more tires to do. Hopefully another buddy comes over and helps with the remaining 3 tires. It's waaaaaaay faster with 2 people to work the hilift and apply force on the bead to break it loose.

Last edited:
My hat is off to you Sir, I threw in the towel and went to the tire shop.

Ugh. Mounted number 3 today. Only 2 more to go. This is painful and im about to take it to the tire shop to just have them debead and unmount it.

Also went for a drive with 39s in the rear and 37s in the front. No weights no beads and the rear was smooth for a quick 50 mph lap.

Also did a chalk test and these 39s on my empty truck likes 19-20 psi with nearly even wear.

Its stuppppid slow now with 4.10s and 39s pushing it. Can't wait for my 5.29s to be installed.

20210223_190059.jpg

20210223_170324.jpg

20210223_154430.jpg

Last edited:
Jealous of those raceline beadlocks! I want some when my wallet says I can have them.

And this weekend I'm working on fender trimming and hopefully welding in hydro and hooking it up.

Its in seriooooouuuusssss need of hydro with 39s. 37s was a pain but she ain't happy with 39s.

So far im really happy with going 39s. Not to loud on the street and they roll smooth. No beads or weights. The extra approach and departure angle is night and day. Diff is tiny bit higher too. I'm actually thinking of not going 6inch lift and maybe keeping it 4s.

I do need to buy heavy Dobi 4s tho and cancel my Dobi 6s.

However having that extra 2 inch would be really nice as long as I keep it crawling. Would give me more belly clearance.

Last edited:
NICE!
Keep us up to date on the fitment of those 39s, bumpstops & how much cutting. Im hopefully not far behind you. Im thinking of pie cutting then riviting in thin sheet metal & filling or fiberglass could be a option???

And this weekend I'm working on fender trimming and hopefully welding in hydro and hooking it up.

Its in seriooooouuuusssss need of hydro with 39s. 37s was a pain but she ain't happy with 39s.

So far im really happy with going 39s. Not to loud on the street and they roll smooth. No beads or weights. The extra approach and departure angle is night and day. Diff is tiny bit higher too. I'm actually thinking of not going 6inch lift and maybe keeping it 4s.

I do need to buy heavy Dobi 4s tho and cancel my Dobi 6s.

However having that extra 2 inch would be really nice as long as I keep it crawling. Would give me more belly clearance.
I can not say enough about the Kanati Mud Hogs, After a year with them I have not been disappointed once. There just a great tire. They are the best bang for the buck. Best price great street ride ( super smoth with no beads or weights) quiet for a mud terrain and they just plain hookup good in all types of terrain, sand, snow, rocks !!!!!
And the main reason why I got them is there one of the only tire over 37" that is 12.50 wide.
The Kanati Mud Hogs 39x 12.50.17 Great tire and size, I think they are becoming a popular tire as there back ordered everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NICE!
Keep us up to date on the fitment of those 39s, bumpstops & how much cutting. Im hopefully not far behind you. Im thinking of pie cutting then riviting in thin sheet metal & filling or fiberglass could be a option???
I saw @malteserunner @Broski and @Noahrob truck last weekend and spoke extensively with Broski on how he did his cutting. His work was immaculate and looked really good. I'm probably not going to make mine that nice and had 3 examples of how to do it. I think ive decided to copy Noahrob example of pie and rolling and tapping it up to make the lip. Then welding the pie slices together, grinding smooth, seam sealing where needed and then bed line for final step. That's the best compromise for me as mine doesn't need to be super pretty and just functional and strong with no sharp lip to cut a sidewall.

I'm running Timbren bump stops and tried them for the first time at Hammers. They actually worked really well and absorbed a lot of the woops and wheeled well. I disnt notice any drastic rubbing innl the wells. I have not done a forklift flex with the bumps yet and want to make sure they arent limiting up travel. Worst case is I take them out and go back to regular OEMs with appropriate spacer height to minimize tire rub and up travel. Timbren would go onto my Turbo 80. I take that to Baja a lot and they really do make a huge diff in the woops

Last edited:
New tires look great! I've been eyeing these for a while as I'd love to have something bigger than a 37 but smaller than a 40. My Mud Grapplers have served me well all these years but they are ungodly loud on the highway.

New tires look great! I've been eyeing these for a while as I'd love to have something bigger than a 37 but smaller than a 40. My Mud Grapplers have served me well all these years but they are ungodly loud on the highway.
I'll give everyone an update after my first wheeling trip on them. Broski's really likes them from his own words. I like the size and the price!!!! most of all.
39 x 12.5 x 17 is a great size with outgoing Fo'Ts!.

I think my next wheeling tripped planned is in April. I have till then to get it ready for this season of wheeling
1. Complete hydro
2. Fender chop
3. 5.29 install + knuckle and rear axle service
4. Weld: Truss front axle, knucle gussets, front diff armor
5. Mod 4x4labs rear to fit 39 spare
6. 6" lift
7. possibly do a rocker chop if I have enough time
8. cooling system overhaul
9. oil pump seal maint
10. rear anitrock install

I'm probably missing more stuff to do that is maint related.

Last edited:
What you running weight wise per wheel/ tire combo with those 39's? I'm running a raceline true beadlock/ TOYO combo and about 148lbs. Super heavy, i did get weights and each has like 3 strips of weights lol. 37 x 13.5 x 20 combo and may be the reason on the weight. I dont know the tires are any lighter than the rims tho. I did go high grade stainless bolts tho, not a fan of the yz bolts. I cant believe your running 4:10;s and 37's aand wheeling hard and fine with it. For the few weeks I tested mine before jumping to 4:88 I thought the road manners are horrible and extremely gutless, I cant imagine how it does on the rocks.

What you running weight wise per wheel/ tire combo with those 39's? I'm running a raceline true beadlock/ TOYO combo and about 148lbs. Super heavy, i did get weights and each has like 3 strips of weights lol. 37 x 13.5 x 20 combo and may be the reason on the weight. I dont know the tires are any lighter than the rims tho. I did go high grade stainless bolts tho, not a fan of the yz bolts. I cant believe your running 4:10;s and 37's aand wheeling hard and fine with it. For the few weeks I tested mine before jumping to 4:88 I thought the road manners are horrible and extremely gutless, I cant imagine how it does on the rocks.
Haven't weighed it. I was supposed to weigh them before mounting and after but then I got caught up and totally forgot to do that. Specs on the tires say 84 lbs. I think the raceline monster spec at 42lb. On paper they are supposed to be 126lb total. I need to pull off the wheels this weekend to trim fender anyway so I'll try and get the bath scale to do that.

It was not my choice to keep 4.10s. I've had the 5.29 gears sitting in my garage for over 6 months now. Been waiting for my buddy to finish up his 1st gen 2uz 80 axle build first before I ask him for help setting up my gears. It was not great but having 4.10 is slow but you get stronger gears more teeth and less likely to break teeth. It wasn't to bad on rocks since I have 3.11 tcase gears.

I know that you can combine the front half of an a340 with the rear half of an aw4 which has the 6 bolt t-case pattern and easily bolts to an atlas. I wonder if you could do the same hybrid build with an a343... I don’t know the differences between the 340 and 343. Might be worth looking into.
Now that be interesting if someone can mount up a A340 to the 1fze bell. If I can an A340 to mount up. Then I would just run a Mini truck tcase using marlins tcase adapter. That would give me 100-1 to 200-1 depending if I went 4.7 in the crawl box.

Only problem is the gas tank in the 80s are in the way. Anyway you do it is going to have to involve gas tank mod/replacement/or using a fuel cell.

Now that be interesting if someone can mount up a A340 to the 1fze bell. If I can an A340 to mount up. Then I would just run a Mini truck tcase using marlins tcase adapter. That would give me 100-1 to 200-1 depending if I went 4.7 in the crawl box.

Only problem is the gas tank in the 80s are in the way. Anyway you do it is going to have to involve gas tank mod/replacement/or using a fuel cell.
Sounds like maybe Booger did it...

I’ve always wanted to move my gas tank under the body and behind the rear axle...

I turtle out on my gas tank. I’ve gotten it bent up just about right now I barley get hung up on it anymore though... 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom