Builds Spyduh's Crawler80 Build (2 Viewers)

New page for my Crawler 80 build.

Bought a locked 80 from a member a while back and it needed some love to get running. Now I'm getting into the actual build to transform it into a dedicated crawler for the Rubicon, Fordyce and KOH.

Here are the current mods:

Ironpig Cross-member skid plate
4x4 Labs Front Bumper
Warn 10k Zeon Winch
4x4 Labs Sliders
4x4 Labs Rear Bumper
+ Just welded rear spindles, swing outs, tire carrier, and ladder/3x gas/hilift. That was a ton of work. My Turbo80 I had 4x4 Labs weld up. Now that I welded up one myself. If I ever buy another 80 in the future, I'm going to have 4x4 Labs weld it. It took a ton of time to measure and weld. I enjoyed the welding though and I'm always looking for stuff to fab and weld. I could have spent my time with other projects with the build more wisely though.
Ballistic Fab Rear diff armor
Bowfin Rack
Good used Transmission with new input/output oem seals and Rear main seal
Rebuilt Tcase with Marlin low range reduction gears and part time kit
Nitro Chromoly Full Float Rear axle shafts
37 x 12.5 x 17 Discover Cooper STT Pro's
Raceline RT232 Monster Beadlocks
ToughDog 3" Tourflex
ToughDog Foam Cell Shocks
ToughDog Steering Stabilizer
Tough Dog Adjustable Panhard Bars
Trail Tailor Rear Lower Control Arms (adjustable)
Trail Tailor Rear Upper Control Arms (adjustable)
Smittybilt Console (modded to fit with the 80). Also used one of the original 80 slide-on armrest and the 3d printed cup holder. Modded that all in to fit.
Pioneer Dual din and speakers and rear cam.
Modded factory antenna mast to use a stubby rubber. Sounds almost as good as the factory without having to remove the factory motor!
Amazon 6 gang relay box
Amazon LED's
Amazon Rock Lights
Amazon Wireless remote
Ebay LED Whip
DEPO headlights with quad projectors. Used cheap ebay projectors, 4300k HID kits and random wirings. This is a budget build and I used cheaper materials than my Turbo80 which used all Morimoto and OEM Denso ballasts and bulbs.
12v Inverter, rear fuse block, ARB 12v socket, marine 12v sockets, LED whip, 7pin trailer harness.
Huracan Fabrication Tail gate storage

Pending Parts and Install:
Redhead Steering Power Steering Box
PSC 8" hydro assist ram
Marlin Front Diff guard
Dobinson 6" Coils and 6" Yellow Shocks
DeltaVS 6" Radius Arms
Saved my Marlin long spline double cardon drive shaft from my Mini Truck Crawler with 925 thick wall. Need to take it back Southbay Driveline after my lift to get it cut down.
Saved my spare Double cardon drive shaft from my mini truck. Need to get that rewalled and made to length as well.
Nitro Chromoly Birfield and axle shafts
Wits End Nut Huggers
Marlin Front and Rear knuckle rebuild kit
Trailgear Chromoly spingle lock rings
Nitro 5.29 gears (front and rear)
Slee rear locker guard
Marlin front locker guard
Box full of Wits End parts to install
Dual Battery Setup (half installed, ran a ton of heavy gauge wiring this weekend. Need to run more wiring and setup my dual battery and isolator and wire in the winch.
Ton of cooling system hoses along with PHH

I'm probably missing some parts installed, but it's a good start to a build list.

On waitlist:
Hellfire Knuckles (which now seem to be Ruffstuff now. Been on waitlist for awhile. Just waiting...)

Last edited:
20200712_170500.jpg
20200712_170524.jpg
20200731_213351.jpg
20200731_221627.jpg
20200806_224507.jpg

Not enough flex/lift for a Crawler build with the ToughDog Tourflex. Not nearly the same flex with my built mini truck crawler. Not happy so I'm selling the lift and going 6" Dobinson's!

20200824_182502.jpg
20200824_182743.jpg
20200824_182750.jpg
20200824_182729.jpg

37s and tripple can rubs each other. I need to mod the can holder to make the 37 and the triple can work together. I'll have a final pic maybe next weekend.
20201220_200118.jpg
20201226_150712.jpg
20201220_221100.jpg
20201222_201710.jpg

Worked on all the rear wiring yesterday. It's not fully done yet and I'll take some final pics tonight.
Yes that's the OEM sub woofer bracket I modded to hold my inverter. I did the same thing with my Turbo80 build. There are pics of it somewhere in there too. I did a much simpler build with this one. Trying to keep this heavy pig as light as possible.

20201227_143212.jpg
20201227_143220.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone interested in buying Rear 4" Dobinson Flexi rear coils and rear shocks for 4-5" lift springs (measure similar to OME L shocks). These are brand new in box and never installed. The coils are still unopened in box. The shock box exploded at my door step. One of the tie wraps popped when it was delivered. Shock paint not scratched and looks new still. I think I tossed the box.

C59-615V 4" REAR Coil Springs
GS59-687 4-5" Rear Shocks ( See GW Nugget master thread for shock/suspension info (

I was going to go 4" Flexi's but after re-evaluating my 3" Tourflex. It wasn't enough lift for this build.
Retailed for $570 + ship/etc. I'll take $500 cash for it. Can meet up in San Jose/South bay area.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
When I read “dedicated crawler” I think chopping, bobbing, and tube work. I’m seeing headlights, fancy interiors, and swing outs. Let’s get to the chopping!

Seriously though, the springs aren’t your flex problem - it’s the radius arms. And if you’re expecting this truck to wheel like a built mini you’re in for a disappointment - which maybe you already know since you had a mini?

I suggest leaving it at 4” lift (or less if you don’t intend to change suspension geometry) and bumpstop or cut the fenders. Look at Broski’s build for inspiration - he’s taken a “stock suspensioned” full body 80 about as far as you’d want to.

Looks like lots of cool mods to come! Good luck.

Anyone interested in buying Rear 4" Dobinson Flexi rear coils and rear shocks for 4-5" lift springs (measure similar to OME L shocks). These are brand new in box and never installed. The coils are still unopened in box. The shock box exploded at my door step. One of the tie wraps popped when it was delivered. Shock paint not scratched and looks new still. I think I tossed the box.

C59-615V 4" REAR Coil Springs
GS59-687 4-5" Rear Shocks ( See GW Nugget master thread for shock/suspension info (

I was going to go 4" Flexi's but after re-evaluating my 3" Tourflex. It wasn't enough lift for this build.
Retailed for $570 + ship/etc. I'll take $500 cash for it. Can meet up in San Jose/South bay area.
What springs are you considering?

When I read “dedicated crawler” I think chopping, bobbing, and tube work. I’m seeing headlights, fancy interiors, and swing outs. Let’s get to the chopping!

Seriously though, the springs aren’t your flex problem - it’s the radius arms. And if you’re expecting this truck to wheel like a built mini you’re in for a disappointment - which maybe you already know since you had a mini?

I suggest leaving it at 4” lift (or less if you don’t intend to change suspension geometry) and bumpstop or cut the fenders. Look at Broski’s build for inspiration - he’s taken a “stock suspensioned” full body 80 about as far as you’d want to.

Looks like lots of cool mods to come! Good luck.
Yeah I know i'm going to be disappointed in flex from my mini. But I'm building this so I can take my kids. I already faced the fact that I'm giving up a lot of crawling ability to carry the kids and it is what it is. My mini truck was bobbed and had a flat bed. I'm NOT going to do the same with the 80. Unless I crush the cab then I'll do a UTE build. We'll see where it goes after this year of wheeling. Not my first cab swap and splice cut. I don't like doing them but they are pretty fun to work on.

I've always been a fan of HID retro's. Been doing retro's since the early 2000s. It's one of those things I have to have is nice lighting.

My fenders are already pie cut inside. I might need to trim more fenders once I go 6".

I already bought the DeltaVS 6" radius arms. I was really leaning on buying the 4 link kit from RuffStuff and linking the front. But we'll see how the Delta arms do first. I want to try it first. I've also heard good reviews about flipping the radius arms as you get more flex that way too. I've seen his build and taken a few tips from his that I will be applying to mine eventually.

Edit: One thing I want to keep is it's streetability to and from trails. I don't have a tow rig but have a car trailer. I usually use the Turbo80 to pull stuff but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to pull an 80 with another 80. Yes, the Turbo has plenty of power to tow. I'm more worried about the brakes not being able to stop all that weight!

Last edited:
Sold the mini truck. The 80 is inferior in every way except for person capacity as a rock crawler . But sometimes you have to make hard choices in life to bring the kids

Edit: second thought the 80 is far superior in driving on the street then the mini.
20201127_185531.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom