Simple way to identify the model year of Land Cruiser 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Land Cruiser 40 was produced for about 25 years. On top there were different markets and options.
There are many threads about each model year (body, engine, transmission, interior etc).
Is there a simple and reliable algorithm that helps to understand the model year if the car is original?

I propose a simple method to get the model year. We can call it “Bezel, Front Signal lamps, plus”.
Identify the bezel period; then subperiod for the front signal lamps; and finally the body part that correlates to the exact model year.

Here is an algorithm:
I. Round stamped bezel? If “YES” go to A. If “NO“ go to section II.
A. Double sided signal lamp? If “YES” - model year 1960-1962. If “NO“ go to B.
B. One side signal lamp - model year 1963

II. Round non stamped bezel? If “YES” go to A. If “NO“ go to section III;
A. Round signal lamps? If “YES” go to 1. If “NO“ go to B;
1. Short running board? If “YES” - model year 1964 (Aug63-Jul64). If “NO” go to 2.
2. Front window ventilator? If “YES” - model year 1965 (Aug64-Jul65). If “NO” go to 3.
3. No apron round reflector? If “YES” - model year 1966-67 (Aug65-Jul67). If “NO” go to 4.
4. Apron round reflector - model year 1968 (Aug67-Nov68)

B. Rectangular signal lamps? If “YES” go to 1. If “NO“ go to C;
1. Front parking lights? If “YES” - model year 1969 (Dec68-Aug69). If “NO” go to 2.
2. Old split hood? If “YES” - model year 1970-71 (Sep69-Aug71). If “NO” go to 3.
3. No fuel tank cover? If “YES” - model year 1972 (Sep71-Aug72). If “NO” go to 4.
4. Old style apron emblem? If “YES” - model year 1973 (Sep72-Aug73). If “NO” go to 5.
5. New style emblem - model year 1974 (Sep73-Dec74)

C. Square signal lamps
1. Red steering wheel pad? If “YES” - model year 1975 (Jan75-Aug75). If “NO” go to 2.
2. Non tube spare wheel carrier? If “YES” - model year 1976 (Sep75-Jul76). If “NO” go to 3.
3. Silver windshield wiper arms? If “YES” - model year 1977 (Aug76-Aug77). If “NO” go to 4.
4. Black windshield wiper arm - model year 1978 (Sep77-Dec78)

III. Square bezel
A. Old style steering wheel? If “YES” - model year 1979-80 (Jan79-Jul80). If “NO” go to B.
B. Old style dash panel? If “YES” - model year 1981-82 (Aug80-Sep82). If “NO” go to C.
C. New style dash panel - model year 1983-84 (Oct82-Aug84)

Here is a small clip on this method

Might be helpful for the new comers!
May be there are more simple algorithms?

Last edited:
Only works if the parts that a particular year is supposed to have, are there. Its very easy to use parts from any year. The general market trucks were pretty bad about that from japan...almost like they were a garbage can for older parts.
Once mixing and takes place that chart goes out the window.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

There are many, many parts that were changed in the middle of the model year. For example, the roll bars changed in 02/78 to include tabs for the retractable 3-point harness seat belts, at the same time the hardtop sides were changed (to remove the retractor mounting provisions). Of course, these may be overridden by other features that are specific to only one model year.

There are many, many parts that were changed in the middle of the model year. For example, the roll bars changed in 02/78 to include tabs for the retractable 3-point harness seat belts, at the same time the hardtop sides were changed (to remove the retractor mounting provisions). Of course, these may be overridden by other features that are specific to only one model year.

I’ve updated slightly the clip in order to be more precise.
The purpose is not to create the full list of all changes. I’ve count several hundreds only visible for 24 years.
I tried to do a simple reliable way to identify a model year with the minimum steps.

It looks like very simple, but it’s not :)
In order to create this you need:
- create a table (model years in rows; spare parts families in the columns). You need to put the major visible parts (body and interior);
- you need to find the month of production via several original catalogs. It should be applicable for all markets (US or Europe);
- you need to find the parts that define the model year change;
- you need to observe that these parts could be easily identified;
- out of these parts you need to find the simple 3 steps algorithm to find the model year.

If you create it you can neglect all other changes through these years, because the purpose is to create the most simple method.

I’ve updated slightly the clip in order to be more precise.
The purpose is not to create the full list of all changes. I’ve count several hundreds only visible for 24 years.
I tried to do a simple reliable way to identify a model year with the minimum steps.

It looks like very simple, but it’s not :)
In order to create this you need:
- create a table (model years in rows; spare parts families in the columns). You need to put the major visible parts (body and interior);
- you need to find the month of production via several original catalogs. It should be applicable for all markets (US or Europe);
- you need to find the parts that define the model year change;
- you need to observe that these parts could be easily identified;
- out of these parts you need to find the simple 3 steps algorithm to find the model year.

If you create it you can neglect all other changes through these years, because the purpose is to create the most simple method.

Wow! That’s really cool and helpful. Enjoyed the video. Must have taken a Lot of time! 👍 Thanks

an easy tell on year between 79 and later is the direction that the fuel door opens... 79 swings to the rear while later swing to the front. I don't know exact transition month.

easier to spot from distance than old vs new style steering wheel, and not subject to parts swap so a more reliable indicator of true model year

Interesting endeavor!

an easy tell on year between 79 and later is the direction that the fuel door opens... 79 swings to the rear while later swing to the front. I don't know exact transition month.

I think you have that backwards. The newer models swing to the rear. Easy to tell by the position of the lock. Lock will be in the front on the newer models.

I think you have that backwards. The newer models swing to the rear. Easy to tell by the position of the lock. Lock will be in the front on the newer models.

just looked at my march 79 in the garage and it swings to the rear, lock located toward the front. Am pretty sure all three 79's I've had are the same.

On one of those trucks I swapped on better tub, which I remember to have been an 80 model, and the fuel door on that swings to the front. that was the first time I became aware of changes between 79 and later (at least 79 and 80) when my door from the 79 wouldnt work for the new tub.

I assume you're speaking to how later models are oriented based on your 81? I see in your build thread pics that it swings to the rear.

How confident are you in your 81 tub being original and an 81 model? Does it have original door jamb plate? Month and year listed there?

one of the gurus should be able to definitively tell us which way each year went between 79-84

1C103555-CF19-4584-93F2-4E607D266407.jpeg

Fuel doors will not help for 08/80 model year

View attachment 2187216
Fuel doors will not help for 08/80 model year

thanks for that Economist LC76... that's pretty much how I understood things to be (absent specifics).

So do we think that 4/79 pretty much started the 1980 model year trucks? Curious to know what Splangy has as an 81 with rear opening fuel door...

As I mentioned there were many things that changed during this time.
For example the spare tire carrier
5EECCE19-79AF-40C4-8A56-4453CC60BA1B.jpeg

3A20B116-BAA2-4CD2-9182-6CB0A333D229.jpeg

but I need simple evidence of exact 07/08 1980
That’s why I choose the steering wheel

I find all the various little changes here and there to be fascinating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom